I've been quite busy this semester, so I haven't been around much, but I wanted to stop by and give an update on my budgies Alice and Horatio.
We've had Alice for about a year now and Horatio for about ten months. They've both tamed up nicely, although Alice is a very stubborn, smart little hen who DEFINITELY has her own ideas about what she wants to do! Horatio is a sweet little guy who constantly chatters and is just over the moon with Alice (although unfortunately she doesn't seem as interested in him as he is in her). Their latest pastime is teaming up to harass my cockatiel, Beatrix, whom I often have to rescue from their shenanigans.
Alice had some runny poop and was a little lethargic recently, so she went to the vet on Wednesday and was diagnosed with bacterial overgrowth of the GI tract, but otherwise given a clean bill of health. She's been getting metronidazole for a few days now and her poop is back to normal and she's getting her energy back. She is NOT pleased about getting medicated, although some millet afterward helps smooth things over.
Here are some pictures of them!
1) "ALICE HEY HEY ALICE HEY I LOVE YOU ALICE ALICE HEY"
2) Horatio went to great lengths to get on top of this preening toy. Once he was up there, Alice decided it looked like fun and started growling at him because SHE wanted up there.
3) It looks like vampire Alice is attacking Horatio, but she was really just preening his head for him.
4) Horatio sits on my knee and eats millet.
5) This is what happens when I approach the cage now: they scuttle up to the door, and Alice eyes my hands to see if I have any treats for her.