Thanks everyone for the feedback, advice & comments about my new budgie.
I'm starting an ongoing photo thread. Admittedly, he doesn't have a name yet. . . this has been discussed (& debated
). . . however we're awaiting to learn more about his personality to commit to the name. Rest assured however, he will get a proper name.
- Has lived with me almost 4 weeks now.
- Is about 5 to 6 months old.
- Mutation is a Cobalt Greywing (with potentially some Recessive Pied in there and maybe some Opaline.) He has pink feet and, while it doesn't show well in photos, there is cobalt blue suffusion in the feathers on his back.
- Definitely a male.
Traits / Behaviors:
- Can't stay quiet when I'm on the phone.
- Loves using bookcases as a perch.
- Regularly engages in head bobbing and cute chirping. Sometimes, something that sounds like clucking.
- Sometimes he reminds me of a small blue chicken.
- Likes toys of destruction & enjoys ringing bells.
- Is a slow riser in the morning. Needs 30 to 45 min. to wake up. Gets reliably tired around 8pm.
- Is a bit lazy. Would prefer that I bring the food to him on a perch vs. going to get it. (No, I'm not doing that all the time.)
- Hasn't yet achieved success in converting to pellets. This is going to be a process. [ If only it were as easy as pouring pellets in a dish.
- Not into bathing.
- Enjoys singing along with music. Gets jealous if I watch videos of Disco the Parakeet. He likes Disco, but not if I'm watching Disco from far away.
- Loves all things green esp. kale & broccoli & wheatgrass. Will rip into a stalk of broccoli with abandon....eyes pin at all things green. Goes crazy over wheatgrass.
- Doesn't like fruit very much so far: rejected apples, bananas & blueberries.
- Enjoys coconut flakes.
- Does not like anything in a mash texture (bananas, ground seeds mixed with warm water, egg yolk.) If it's a mash texture he tries it, shakes his beak, looks at me with disgust.... and then rubs his beak all over the branch, as if to protest anything that is not "neat."
- Spends much of the day preening and chirping. When he's not napping or sleeping. Or flying from bookcase to bookcase.
- Doesn't like to walk on the floor or tables.
- Recently starting learning that the top of his cage is a play area.
- Is fairly reliable and trusting in stepping up, but he's unpredictable as to how long he stays on my finger. If he's tired, he'll stay there. If he's not tired... he's off to fly around.
- Returning him to his cage, requires a small amount of chasing (he flies to a couple perches before he gives in.) This hasn't been too annoying yet, but he'll need some work to see if he can be trained better to more reliably return to his cage. (I'm a little bit overwhelmed at the thought of taking that on, but I will.)
It will be fun to see how he changes over time.