I decided today was going to be the first day I'd attempt to do Jenny's beak trim myself.
Previous to this, I had been to an avian vet with her twice and observed how quick and easy it was to do. On the second trip, and the visits being four weeks apart, the vet suggested I try and do it myself with some nail clippers.
I did attempt to find some beak trimmers for budgies so I had the perfect tool for the job but was unable to find any even looking on sites that sold supplies to vets!
So I got Jenny her own pair of nail trimmers for the job.
At this point, I'd already trimmed the very tip of her beak off to just see how easy it was and to make sure that Jenny didn't struggle. It went fine, so I pushed on to take a little more off.
I trimmed it down to this length and it did bleed a little.
The avian vet had also warned me about this and had told me of a product to get in case it happens as it's so easy to do. It's like a shaving product for if you nick yourself. I held it to her beak tip and waited a few seconds, dried it and checked to see if it had stopped bleeding. It had but I just waited a little while longer just to make sure it was okay before returning her to her cage with Jimmy.
I wanted to get it done before the length increased as she is moulting and I want her to be able to preen herself properly through it. I'm also hoping that her and Jimmy will preen one another keeping her beak smaller and encourage their bond more.
I will use this picture next time to try and go a little longer so we don't bleed next time, but I was really happy with how it went.
Jenny was so good having it done and didn't freak out at all, which I was worried she might do considering what I wanted to do too her.