Is this budgie treat safe for my budgie to eat? - Talk Budgies Forums


User Menu
Forum Home
Budgie Gallery
Budgie FAQ
Site Guidelines
How-To-Guide
Members List
Today's Posts
Log In
Register now!
Search



Advanced Search
Popular Forums
Announcements

Budgie Articles

Budgie Talk

Budgie Pictures

Budgie Videos

Budgie Behavior

Determining Gender

Your Budgie's Health

Taming and Bonding

Budgie Breeding

In Memory

Other Birds

Contests

Chit Chat

Site Information

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots
Sponsored Ads

Go Back   Talk Budgies Forums > Budgie Talk > Your Budgie's Health > Diet and Nutrition


Diet and Nutrition Discuss issues related to diet and learn about encouraging your budgie to a variety of healthy foods

Closed Thread
 
Short URL LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 12-13-2016, 09:07 AM
Nebula21's Avatar
Nebula21 (Carla)
Baby Budgie
 
Profile:Nebula21 is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 1
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Owner
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 402
Gallery: 5
Karma:
Points: 1188
Rep Power: 10
Nebula21 has much to be proud ofNebula21 has much to be proud ofNebula21 has much to be proud ofNebula21 has much to be proud ofNebula21 has much to be proud ofNebula21 has much to be proud ofNebula21 has much to be proud ofNebula21 has much to be proud ofNebula21 has much to be proud of
Default Is this budgie treat safe for my budgie to eat?

I would like to buy thi s for my budgie and also i would like to buy one for my friends Canary

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rosewood-Na...dp/B00OUGV3ZQ/

It is made of Rosewood and it contains the following ingredients;

Yellow millet (64.1%), peanuts (13.7%),carrots (9.1%), parsley (8.9%), beetroot (2.2%), gelatine

Can someone please tell me if this is safe for budgies? The Gelatine ingredient worried me slightly.

I know this is a budgie forum but do you think it would also be ok for my friends Canary

Thanks

__________________
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 12-13-2016, 10:40 AM
aluz's Avatar
Exceptional Service Award Recipient
State:
 
Profile:aluz is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 7
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Enthusiast
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Portugal
Posts: 21,788
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 19619
Rep Power: 56
aluz has a reputation beyond reputealuz has a reputation beyond reputealuz has a reputation beyond reputealuz has a reputation beyond reputealuz has a reputation beyond reputealuz has a reputation beyond reputealuz has a reputation beyond reputealuz has a reputation beyond reputealuz has a reputation beyond reputealuz has a reputation beyond reputealuz has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Hi there,

Regarding the ingredients, I would be more wary of the fact that there are peanuts in the treat.
Peanuts are no-no to me, not only are they fat especially for a small pet bird like a budgie, but there is also the potential risk of contracting aspergillosis.

The treat would not work well on a canary because it would be very difficult to manage the treat, their beaks aren't as strong as a budgie's beak and I doubt this would be something a canary would be interested in.
__________________


RIP sweet Tito (Summer 2008 - January 17th 2013).
You are missed and never will be forgotten.
  #3  
Old 12-13-2016, 11:00 AM
Nebula21's Avatar
Nebula21 (Carla)
Baby Budgie
 
Profile:Nebula21 is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 1
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Owner
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 402
Gallery: 5
Karma:
Points: 1188
Rep Power: 10
Nebula21 has much to be proud ofNebula21 has much to be proud ofNebula21 has much to be proud ofNebula21 has much to be proud ofNebula21 has much to be proud ofNebula21 has much to be proud ofNebula21 has much to be proud ofNebula21 has much to be proud ofNebula21 has much to be proud of
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aluz View Post
Hi there,

Regarding the ingredients, I would be more wary of the fact that there are peanuts in the treat.
Peanuts are no-no to me, not only are they fat especially for a small pet bird like a budgie, but there is also the potential risk of contracting aspergillosis.

The treat would not work well on a canary because it would be very difficult to manage the treat, their beaks aren't as strong as a budgie's beak and I doubt this would be something a canary would be interested in.
Yeah you are correct, I just contacted my Avain vets and he told me that budgies cannot eat peanuts. I cant believe the item is being sold.

I forgot to add something to my original post, perhaps you could help me with this. I am making a toy for my budgie as a christmas present this year and i would like to add ''Jingle Bells''to it. They look like the photo in the link below

https://cdn-consumercrafts.netdna-ss...ge/1099-21.jpg

do you think these are ok to use? they sell them in multi-colored and silver and gold. I have heard in the past that toys like this are ok as longs as they havent started to rust, at which point they need to be replaced. But i just wanted somebody elses opinion on this? a lot of budgie toys seem to have these sort of bells on them.

Thanks
__________________
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 12-13-2016, 01:43 PM
victorymacaroon's Avatar
victorymacaroon (vulture)
Egg
State:
 
Profile:victorymacaroon is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 5
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Lover
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 16
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 10
Rep Power: 0
victorymacaroon is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebula21 View Post
Yeah you are correct, I just contacted my Avain vets and he told me that budgies cannot eat peanuts. I cant believe the item is being sold.

I forgot to add something to my original post, perhaps you could help me with this. I am making a toy for my budgie as a christmas present this year and i would like to add ''Jingle Bells''to it. They look like the photo in the link below

https://cdn-consumercrafts.netdna-ss...ge/1099-21.jpg

do you think these are ok to use? they sell them in multi-colored and silver and gold. I have heard in the past that toys like this are ok as longs as they havent started to rust, at which point they need to be replaced. But i just wanted somebody elses opinion on this? a lot of budgie toys seem to have these sort of bells on them.

Thanks
I've always heard that those types of bells pose a danger for budgies because their toes could get stuck in the holes. Also you may not know what they are made of.
  #5  
Old 12-13-2016, 09:12 PM
StarlingWings's Avatar
Super Moderator // MEMBER OF THE YEAR 2015


 
Profile:StarlingWings is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 1
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Lover
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 17,555
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 12055
Rep Power: 38
StarlingWings has a reputation beyond reputeStarlingWings has a reputation beyond reputeStarlingWings has a reputation beyond reputeStarlingWings has a reputation beyond reputeStarlingWings has a reputation beyond reputeStarlingWings has a reputation beyond reputeStarlingWings has a reputation beyond reputeStarlingWings has a reputation beyond reputeStarlingWings has a reputation beyond reputeStarlingWings has a reputation beyond reputeStarlingWings has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Hi Carla!

I'm glad that you've decided against that treat for the birds, I totally agree that it's not safe for budgies.

As for the bells, many of the ones you see on budgie toys are specifically made for budgies and therefore do not have any lead-based paint or heavy metals in them such as zinc, copper, and lead which lead to metal poisoning in birds. However, the ones they simply sell at craft stores are not under these same regulations and therefore are not safe to put on your toys. However, bird toy companies like MySafeBirdStore sell bells of this sort that you can use with your toys!
__________________

~StarlingWings~
and Princess Mallorn!
Thank you to Deb for her wonderful Faery magic
  #6  
Old 01-11-2017, 11:47 AM
Nebula21's Avatar
Nebula21 (Carla)
Baby Budgie
 
Profile:Nebula21 is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 1
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Owner
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 402
Gallery: 5
Karma:
Points: 1188
Rep Power: 10
Nebula21 has much to be proud ofNebula21 has much to be proud ofNebula21 has much to be proud ofNebula21 has much to be proud ofNebula21 has much to be proud ofNebula21 has much to be proud ofNebula21 has much to be proud ofNebula21 has much to be proud ofNebula21 has much to be proud of
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlingWings View Post
Hi Carla!

I'm glad that you've decided against that treat for the birds, I totally agree that it's not safe for budgies.

As for the bells, many of the ones you see on budgie toys are specifically made for budgies and therefore do not have any lead-based paint or heavy metals in them such as zinc, copper, and lead which lead to metal poisoning in birds. However, the ones they simply sell at craft stores are not under these same regulations and therefore are not safe to put on your toys. However, bird toy companies like MySafeBirdStore sell bells of this sort that you can use with your toys!
thank you, and sorry for the late reply
__________________
Closed Thread



Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:51 PM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright © 2000- 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2006 - , 2403 Networks LLC. All rights reserved.