Last month (around Nov 8, 2016) I woke to a whole flock of sick birds. There was two new factors to consider. One, I adopted two new birds from a private home, and two I accidentally left a window open after a nice warm day. The temperature dropped drastically that night (down to 36 degrees), and it was the very next morning that I noticed bad droppings in the cage. I also spoke with the lady that I got the new birds from and she did not see any unusual droppings. At the time I could not afford to take all 4 birds in to the vet. A local bird shop owner suggested I start with tetracycline which I could buy over the counter at Runnings. Let me start by describing the droppings. Some were a sloppy green. Two birds had severe diarreha. Some started to look creamy and grey. I was extremely concerned about contagious diseases that would transfer to humans, (Chlamydia). I started the tetracycline on Nov. 12 and it seemed to work good right away, however, I honestly did not mix things properly at first. I made a quart of mixture and used it for about a week and things got bad again. I was supposed to mix fresh every day. So I started again on Nov. 20th and made fresh everyday. I did this until Dec. 2nd and stopped administering antibiotics when their droppings had been a very dark green for several days. I began to think maybe they were developing a yeast infection from the antibiotics. I did get something from Runnings that has electrolytes, nutrients, and acidophilus and gave it to them for 2 days now. I was able to come up with enough $ to take one bird to the vet today, Dec. 5, however, they are only going to test for chlamydia and it is going to take 10 to 14 days to get the results back. Having that tested surely will bring some peace of mind but I will still be in the dark in the end if it comes back negative. So this is where I am at now, I am still getting light to medium green droppings, some wet, some pasty, and occasional diarrhea and often a lot of urine. I would like to start them again on tetracycline and was considering ordering nystatin online. I do not know how to dose them with 2 medications. Would I do them together or at different times of the day. If I cannot get this under control I am afraid I will have to put them down. Also noteworthy is that none of them are displaying that they are ill. None are fluffed up, none are at the bottom of the cage, no sneezing, coughing, or vomiting. Just bad droppings. I am not going to do anything until I have some feedback. I am a nervous wreck!
I'm assuming from what you've written you did not quarantine the two new birds when you brought them home?
Quarantine means housing your new bird in a different cage in a different room as far away as possible from the room where your current bird(s) are housed for a period of 30-45 days.
Budgies mask symptoms when they are ill. Symptoms may not show up for over two weeks.
Often you will not even realize your bird is not well. Many budgie illnesses are airborne which is why you need to quarantine your new bird in a completely different room.
Trying to self-medicate budgies without a proper diagnosis and treatment plan is not something this forum ever recommends.
The infection may be viral, bacterial or fungal.
Administering the wrong medication can do more harm than good.
Avian Vets have special training to determine the cause of symptoms resulting from illness or trauma.
This is important as "regular" vets will often overlook symptoms that are quickly obvious to an Avian Vet.
When you rely on anyone who has not had training in Avian diagnosis and care, you may be delaying effective treatment.
This can prolong suffering that may be avoidable.
The bird will often require a more intense, prolonged treatment with a poorer chance of full recovery than it would have if you seek prompt professional diagnosis and treatment at the first sign of illness.
If you have questions about administering medications of any type, I strongly recommend you contact an Avian Vet and discuss the matter with a professional. The members of this forum are not qualified to offer you advice with regard to administration of specific medications and it would be imprudent for anyone to do so.
I wish you all the best and hope you will update us on your budgies' condition after speaking with the Avian Vet.
I agree completely with all FaeryBee has said. It's good to start a veterinarian fund so that you are able to have the resources needed to take all four birds to the vet in these sort of situations; however I understand that it can be hard to afford avian vets.
Either way, I would truly try to find a way to get them checked over at a vet. This cuts down on their treatment time if the illness is not allowed to progress and ensures that you aren't treating them for the wrong thing.
If you don't see an improvement, there's no need to put them down. It's important to be committed to caring for these little ones until all options are exhausted; have you had them tested for AGY or Megabacteria? I would also consider using ACV as a natural supplement to improve their digestive function.
Meanwhile, please be sure to read through the other articles in the forums, as we have plenty of great information to stay posted on. If you have questions after reading though everything, be sure to ask as we'd love to help!
and Princess Mallorn!
Thank you to Deb for her wonderful Faery magic
The vet I went to today "sees birds", I do not think he is an avian vet. I have been looking for this type of specialist and only found one so far clear on the other side of the state, some 300 miles away. I will continue to look. As a matter of fact I did not even see the doctor today, only his aides and they just took a vent swab, which made her bleed. I just want to cry this has been so stressful for me trying to raise enough money to take care of all of them and research. I did start apple cider vinegar actually. Thank you.
I'm upset because they hurt Luna today at the vet. I put antibiotic ointment on her vent because she is clearly sore from a swab. I thought they were going to take a dropping. She is puffed up now when she wasn't earlier today. They ended up taking the dropping she left anyway. Also I read that the droppings are better than swabs. I gave them apple cider vinegar tonight. I hope this doesn't make matters worse, (the office visit trauma), she is my eldest, the strongest and the fastest. She is in heat, I should have spoken up louder, knowing they don't really know birds. I didn't know it was going to take so long to get results.
Hi, welcome to the forum. I'm sorry your birds are not feeling their best. Actually, a good and experienced avian vet will let you know that sometimes there may be a small amount of bleeding after a swab, and that is no cause for alarm. Even professionals who know what they're doing, know that the area is extremely delicate and can easily show signs of a little trauma for that day. I hope the antibiotic you used was of an appropriate strength for budgies.
I'm glad you're doing the ACV. That usually does the trick for mild digestive upsets, and I've had good success with it. I hope it works for your flock too . I would never consider euthanasia unless there is no hope left, and all options have been exhausted. Keep us posted, and best of luck!