Follow-up CenterThreads made in the Emergency Room forum will be moved here by staff as a way to follow-up with members after their budgie emergency.
This keeps the E.R. for only the most current emergencies. Thread Description:Humane to euthanize at this point in time?
Hello guys. I'm new to this forum, but it looked active and helpful, so I decided to join.
I have had my little Breezy since I was 7. I am now nearing 19, and he has been going strong up until the last few weeks. Now, my beautiful boy does not eat regularly, vomits almost every day, sleeps 80% of the time, and is constantly puffed up. His droppings fluctuate between watery and loose, and fairly normal. I have asked a veterinarian about him, and she had told me that with old age, inevitably come the signs of near death.
I don't want my little Breezy to die... but he's almost 12. He's an old boy. I figured I'd get the best answer here... is it humane to euthanize my little baby at this point in time? He has been acting sickly and dull for the past month. The last 2-3 weeks especially so. He has little to energy, and can barely fly. He recently is rapidly loosing all his balance as well.
I've included a picture of him to show you of his standard appearance... this is on a good day.
Welcome to Talkbudgies. I'm sorry you joined under these circumstances
Is the vet an avian vet? Did they physically see your bebe or did you just chat with them about him? How long exactly has he been vomiting? What remedies have you tried (ex electolytes in his water, etc)?
Your boy has lived to a grand age and this could well be the first signs that his age is catching up with him. I think the decision to euthanise is one only you can make in conjunction with vet advice. You know your bird and ar no doubt aware of how much his behaviour has changed. Personally, for me the decision would be based on the pain factor and if the vet felt that medication would not provide a solution.
I am sure the decision will be hard to make either way, and if you need support we shall all be here to help you.
Cress ... Dandelion ... Tyde
a selection from the milipidi flock
I am very sorry to hear about your budgie's declining health. I have been through 2 decisions to put budgies to sleep, and for me the factor I consider above all else is the level of pain they are in. They hide pain so well, that by the time they show outward signs of it, they are well and truly deep in it.
It is not an easy decision, and I can imagine especially when you have grown up with this little guy. But you will know in your own heart what the best thing to do is.
I'm really sorry your budgie isn't doing well. It sounds like he's had a really long, healthy and happy life. I agree with the others on the level of pain or discomfort and if there's anything that can be done to alleviate it. This must be such a hard decision to make and I hope you can get some more input and advice from your vet. Huge hugs!!!
Hello, this is indeed a decision we here all stress over and discuss .
As you have had a wonderful and happy life with your feathered friend I am sure in your heart you know he is ready to go to the bridge.
He does look very tired and sick, I have had to euthanize one of my special friends and although I was sad and feeling bad I am so glad I did. The pain is gone, we had a cuddle and I am sure he knew his time was near. Say your goodbyes, and loving give him his release he deserves . The memories will be there to recall and a smile will come when you think of him once more. Hugs to you.
I'm so sorry your bird is unwell. I'm not going to recommend what you should do. I think you should trust your instincts and do what will bring you the most comfort. Unlike humans, your avian child does not fear death; he is living in the moment and making himself feel comfortable the best he can.
All I will share is I did have one of my hens euthanized. My avian vet (who has 25 years' experience) agreed that euthanasia was proper at that time because she had a poor quality of life. He was very tender and explained every step. He spoke to her lovingly and toweled her gently. He injected the barbiturate into her breast muscle (she did not flinch) and handed her to me. Within the next 30-60 seconds, she simply relaxed, fell asleep and died very peacefully in my hand.
If you do decide to have your bird euthanized, I hope you will have a similar experience. Choosing a compassionate vet is important.
I am so sorry that you are going through this with Breezy. I have only had birds since 2010 so I have not had to make this decision with any of mine. I have, however, had to make it several times with dogs that I have had. Though unpleasant and definitely painful to do, sometimes euthanasia is the kindest, last act that we can do for our loved ones. I have always believed that you'll know when it's time. Your vet will also be able to confirm your decision for you as well.
In the meantime, if you are still undecided, you can try to make some weak ginger tea and see if Breezy will drink it. Get organic ginger (some has very high pesticides on it), slice a couple of pieces off very thinly and pour boiling water over it. Let it steep for at least 30 minutes and then cool it down in the fridge. See if he will have some for his regurgitation. To keep him hydrated you can also try some coconut water with no added sugar or flavours.
I wish you the best with little Breezy, he sounds as if he has been very lucky to have you over the past 12 years.
What a grand life you must of given your feathered friend to have him live so long. I too will not tell you it is time as only you can decide that. I also made that decision for a yong male budgie a few years ago.. It was a very easy gentle way to go. My vet gave him a quick injection of sedative into his breast muscle with a needle so tiny he didn't even feel it. He handed him to me to hold while he fell asleep, I stroked him and told him I loved him and then the vet gently euthanized him while he was sleeping, very easy and painless for my little fella.
Thank you guys so much for the kind-hearted replies. He has been vomiting for the last four weeks. Other days he looks better, and declines again. He will often be on the bottom of the cage, resting and generally looking miserable. I called the vet, and she's given me some Baytril for now, as well as another antibiotic, but not much seems to help. He's a fighter though. My vet told me to call back in exactly five days; if his symptoms do not improve, or if he continues declining, we will set up an appointment to euthanize him.