Talk Budgies Forums

Talk Budgies Forums (
-   Follow-up Center (
-   -   All is not well with Lily (

Penzance 07-05-2015 06:55 AM

All is not well with Lily
It is over 6 weeks now after bringing Lily home with two other babies. She is severely disabled from a level 2 French Moult and my hope was (and still is) that I could help her have a happy life.

I have been working with my avian vet for several weeks to try to get somewhere with her, there are a few more tests we are awaiting the results for but sadly the prognosis does not look good.

For most of the time now she sits still with her eyes closed, although she does force herself out of it for brief periods to feed and to preen. Unlike Hugo who had a milder form of French moult and has adapted very well to his disabilities, Lily has not overcome her problems of balance and coordination and is increasingly lethargic and clearly not happy. The vet has been treating the lethargy with antibiotics suspecting it may be a separate issue.

The avian vet is a very nice man who keeps parakeets himself, but he is a realist and has already prepared me for the really difficult decision that seems likely to be ahead.

Naturally I am very upset by all this, after all she has done nothing wrong. I am hoping for the outside chance that something treatable is discovered and I will know this on Tuesday or Wednesday. But I will not flinch from making the right decision next week, how can I sentence her to less than a half life dragging on?

I am really unhappy with this hanging over her, and of course her cage friends who to some degree have been helping her by giving way and also sitting quietly with her on occasion and even preening her.

I am hoping for the best next week but I'm afraid I am not confident.

deriksen 07-05-2015 07:12 AM

I'm so sorry to hear that little Lily isn't getting better. I know it's difficult to look at and know that there's so little you can do. I'm sending lots of positive energy, but I also fully understand that you'll have to make the right decision if that's what's best for her.

aluz 07-05-2015 07:27 AM

I'm so sorry your Lily has been struggling so much. :( You are doing your very best by her and giving her all the chances to pull through.
Sadly despite our combined efforts with the vet things may not go the way we want to and when running out of options, the decision to let them go, as painful as it is, turns out to be the right thing to let them go with the dignity they have left when they are at the stage where their quality of life won't improve, quite the contrary. At least this is how I think and I have sadly experienced it too and know it's not an easy decision to come by.

I sincerely hope your Lily recovers and is able to find happiness and enjoy life. :hug:

Niamhf 07-05-2015 07:27 AM

Oh Simin I'm so terribly sorry to hear this. French Molt (or Polyoma Virus) is what Oisin had and I too had to make that heartbreaking decision for him. Like your vet, mine was also treating Oisin for several other complications due to the breakdown of his immune system caused by the virus.
I really hope Lilly receives some positive news. :hug:

Impeckable 07-05-2015 07:41 AM

Hi Simon
I am really sorry to hear Lily's prognosis is not good, you have of course done everything possible to help her and you deserve masses of praise for your endeavours, sadly some people see budgies as disposable but you are the perfect example of a responsible owner, I know you will do the right thing for Lily and please be assured that you will get the respect and sympathy from all the regular members of this forum, I am thinking about you at this worrying time and sending you strength.

Pretty boy 07-05-2015 08:16 AM

Oh Simon, I am so sorry Lilly is not responding as we all had hoped for. You and your vet have done all that is possible to help her through this.
I can only offer my prayers and strength to you Simon, I admire and feel for you at this time, she is well and truly in your heart as well as mine. Take one day at a time, give her the love and care you have and are. That is all you can do my friend. Healing thoughts to Lilly.:budgie:

FaeryBee 07-05-2015 09:33 AM


I'm sorry Lilly has not been responding well to treatment.
Unfortunately, sometimes these conditions are simply more than the body can handle and no amount of love or treatment will overcome that.

It's always hard to make the difficult decision to help one of our beloved pets move on in their journey, but it is truly the greatest gift of love we can give -- helping ensure they do not suffer.

My thoughts and prayers are with both you and Lilly during this difficult time. I hope you will receive a hopeful prognosis on Tuesday or Wednesday. I know if that isn't the case, you are strong and loving and will choose to allow the vet to help her fly high and free as she moves on in her journey.

If you need or want to talk, please feel free to send me a Private Message. :hug:

jellyblue 07-05-2015 10:47 AM

My very best thoughts and prayers for you and Lily. This is a very difficult time, but do not give up hope. Lily is in your good hands.

Heavypenguins 07-05-2015 11:04 AM

All of my best wishes and good thoughts to you and Lily. Whatever the outcome, you'll do the right thing, and Lily will know you love and care for her :hug:

StarlingWings 07-05-2015 02:16 PM

I'm so sorry to hear about Lily! :( :hug:
You've done everything you can for her, and the prognosis turns out to be bad, you must know that she knew you loved her and you can make a decision to release her with respect and dignity.

I hope with all my heart she gets a good prognosis on Tuesday. Please keep us posted, we're all praying for her!! :fingerx:

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright © 2000- 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2006 - , 2403 Networks LLC. All rights reserved.