Follow-up CenterThreads made in the Emergency Room forum will be moved here by staff as a way to follow-up with members after their budgie emergency.
This keeps the E.R. for only the most current emergencies.
Hello, I'm hoping you can give me some advice. I have a 5/6 month old male budgie who developed an abcess above the right side of his cere. I toll him to the vets and it was initially diagnosed as mites, but after spending time looking at this forum and others, I realised it was more likely to be an abcess and took him back to the vets. I saw a more senior vet and she agreed, she squeezed out a lot of cheese, which came out of the main abcess above his cere, but also cheese came out of the side of his beak/mouth. Since them we've been giving him anti-biotics and squeezing out the abcess fluid, which is now mainly clear. His Forehead is looking more normal and the feathers are growing back. His behaviour is fine and he's continued to eat, drink and poop as normal throughout the process. My concern is that it looks as if additional skin is growing on the right hand side of his cere and I'm not sure if this is the cere fixing itself or if there is something else going on. My vets have said that they are not avian specialists, but they can get in contact with a specialist, but they are not always prompt at replying. I've attached some photos and wondered if anyone here has any idea of what this is and how it should be treated. I will be going back to the vets, but wanted to try and get some advice prior to that. Thanks in advance for your help.
Hello, firstly it is vital you find an avian vet who can treat your budgies infection correctly. It sounds like the whole sinus as well as his cere are infected. It could also be affecting his ears.
He needs to have all of the puss drained, his nares are clogged as well. Please google Avian vets for your area and make an appointment promptly, if left the tissue can become damaged and cause all sorts of problems for the poor boy.
We would love to hear the verdict and how he is going , please let us know in this thread? he is a dear little budgie by the looks and this injury would be causing him pain. Looking forward to hearing soon.
Thanks for your advice Pretty Boy, I suspected that he might also be having issues with his sinuses, as he's been on the anti-biotics for a while now and I'd expect it to be clearing. I'll search for an avian vet now and see if I can source one. Thanks again.
I'm very sorry your little fellow is suffering and agree he needs to be seen by an Avian Vet as soon as possible.
Avian Vets have special training to determine the cause of symptoms resulting from illness or trauma. This is important as "regular" vets will often overlook symptoms that are quickly obvious to an Avian Vet.
When you rely on anyone who has not had training in Avian diagnosis and care, you may be delaying effective treatment. This can prolong suffering that may be avoidable.
The bird will often require a more intense, prolonged treatment with a poorer chance of full recovery than it would have if you seek prompt professional diagnosis and treatment at the first sign of illness.
Thanks for all your advice and help. I've actually read a lot of your FAQ's both since and before we got the budgie and they are really helpful. I have an appointment to see an avian vet on Friday morning. I sent him the same images a si loaded here and he emailed me back to say "There appears to be infection resent and a change of Antibiotic may be indicated which will hopefully help to clear the problem. I may need to do some cleaning of the nares also". So it's a step in the right direction. I will email you with an update and thanks again for the help.
I am sorry that your little guy is going through this! I am glad that the avian vet will do some cleaning of the nares and see if there's any other options for him. Yes, update us on his condition if you can and I hope he gets well soon!
Apologies for the late reply.
So I took Blue to an avian vet and he has put Blue on 0.3ml of Baytril, originally for once a day, but now twice a day. When he cleaned out the nares they were clean, but the day before, I had squeezed out a very small amount of yellow sticky stuff, which is why he prescribed Baytril. When I told the vet this he advised giving Blue the Baytril twice a day. The cere seems to be healing and the vet agreed with me, in that he believed the pink growth was the cere repairing it's damaged tissue. He also believes that the abscess was caused by trauma, not bacteria. Blue is still eating, drinking and chirping and his behaviour has not changed. Other than he's taken to sharperning his beak on the cuttlefish, so he can greater express his unhappiness at being held to have meds twice a day. So the story continues, but I hope it will end well soon. His cere does look better, but this morning I cleaned out another small bit of yellow sticky stuff, so I don't think he's completely in the clear. I'm hoping that this is his body getting rid of the last of the abscess, but time will tell.
Thank you all for your concern and advice.