Follow-up CenterThreads made in the Emergency Room forum will be moved here by staff as a way to follow-up with members after their budgie emergency.
This keeps the E.R. for only the most current emergencies.
I noticed my budgie wasnt herself on saturday, fluffed up and quiet,
Monday morning I took her to an exotic animal vet, where both my budgies have been until I collected them today, I was given medicine to administer twice daily.
She is vommiting and her feces is green.
Just now checking on her, her tail is bobbing quite rapidly up on down, I also noticed she was stretching her neck like something was caught in her throat most of the day.
I don't no what im supposed to do now, the vet has tested for parasites and is awaiting results back for chlamydia pneumoniae,
When i was calling for updates to the vet they seemed to think she was acting normal - which she is isnt, i was hand feeding her to make her eat today but she vommited maybe an hour later.
Where do I go from here now, the tail bobbing is making me think her breathing is getting worse
To help with respiratory issues, you can put your budgie’s cage in the bathroom when you run hot water through the shower so the cage is in the hot steamy air -- that will help open the airways.
Another option is to tent the cage with a sheet and place a pot or kettle of boiling water under the sheet where your budgie is unable to touch it and allow the steam to accumulate that way. If you have pure eucalyptus oil, you can put one tiny drop into the water as that will also help to clear the airways so the budgie is better able to breathe.
I recommend you try to find a certified Avian Vet near you and get a second opinion.
Avian Vets have special training to determine the cause of symptoms resulting from illness or trauma. This is important as "regular" vets will often overlook symptoms that are quickly obvious to an Avian Vet.
When you rely on anyone who has not had training in Avian diagnosis and care, you may be delaying effective treatment. This can prolong suffering that may be avoidable.
The bird will often require a more intense, prolonged treatment with a poorer chance of full recovery than it would have if you seek prompt professional diagnosis and treatment at the first sign of illness.
If you aren't satisfied with how the first vet is responding, you should get a second opinion (making sure you tell them what treatments and tests have already been performed). If possible go to an avian vet or a vet specially interested in birds. I would think you should be seeing a response from the antibiotics by now, ask your vet if it may be worth trying a different type of medication.
Welcome to talk budgies, I'm sorry that such a serious situation bring's you here. Deborah has given you excellent advice for easing what tail bobbing often represent's...breathing difficulty. Keep your bird warm and limit activity. Please do seek an avian vet ASAP, and let us know what is going on please. Prayers outbound for your little bird's proper diagnosis and treatment....
He came down from Heaven unto this earth below
He came down from glory and praises untold
He came down to man fashioned in their way
He came down to rescue, He came down to save
Thanks for the replies guys. This vet was highly recommended by my own vet, and is quite well known for their care.
After giving the medicine via syringe she immediately started recgourgating seed, I presume it's from the taste and stress of giving via syringe.
I have a follow up appointment next week and the vet has said she can take them back in before if I am worried, but I'm just not convinced bringing her back will help either they will just be giving same meds as I am and charging 40 Euro a day for it.
I think I will try the steam idea later when home see how it goes. Only positive from the vommiting is that there was seed to vomit.
The testing done for the psittacos (avian chlyamidiosis) was this by blood or faecal sample?
What medication have you been given and for how long are you giving it?
I am not sure how it was taken, but she said it takes 2 weeks to receive the results back, she tested for something else also which name i cannot remember.
I have weighted her just now (Thursday) she is 50 grams, the vet also weighted her on Monday, I wasnt there to see it but my girlfriend said it was a rough weighting and she was 60 grams.
The medicine shes on now is Ronaxan for 7 days twice daily, Ive googled it and it is for respiratory infection, which is what I'm most worried about right now, but again as soon as I give it she starts making herself vomit, will this do more harm than good?
Edit : Gonna bring her back to the vet tomorrow, breathing getting worse.. i think im fighting a loosing battle but ill try
Edit2 : Ive noticed some balding around the eyes now also, I just the thread below and it suggest a sinus infection, is this cureable?
Ring the vet explain that each time you give meds she is vomiting. perhaps a short hospital stay is in order to have the vet observe and administer meds. They may need to give them via a crop needle. Have you been shown how to give her the medication an did they give her a dose whilst at the vet?
Keep her cage extra warm, keep giving her steam inhalations with a drop of Eucalyptus oil in it if it is respiratory this will help. I hope you have some luck soon.