Follow-up CenterThreads made in the Emergency Room forum will be moved here by staff as a way to follow-up with members after their budgie emergency.
This keeps the E.R. for only the most current emergencies.
hi everyone, my budgie has been acting very strangely today, it started about an hour ago, he flew to the bottom of the cage and started to do some abnormal things. First, his wings are drooping and he is shaking, and then he began regurgitating (I don't believe it was vomiting, as he was not violently shaking his head) and I also noticed he has strange white stuff on his beak. Is it scaly face mites? Are they the reason he is acting so strange? His vent is clean, and he attempts to climb back up but he can never manage it... PLEASE HELP!!!!
The behavior your budgie is exhibiting is an indication of an EMERGENCY situation.
If you do not get Avian Vet help for your budgie right away, there is a very good chance he will not make it.
Avian Vets have special training to determine the cause of symptoms resulting from illness or trauma. This is important as "regular" vets will often overlook symptoms that are quickly obvious to an Avian Vet.
When you rely on anyone who has not had training in Avian diagnosis and care, you may be delaying effective treatment. This can prolong suffering that may be avoidable.
The bird will often require a more intense, prolonged treatment with a poorer chance of full recovery than it would have if you seek prompt professional diagnosis and treatment at the first sign of illness.
I agree sounds like an emergency situation with all those overt symptoms. Scaly face is the least of his problems at the moment.
Look up an emergency vet, and ask if they have someone on staff who is familiar with birds. The emergency clinics usually do have someone on staff who is willing to see birds. An avian vet is of course best, but in a potential emergency situation a vet who treats birds can at least stabilize him until you see your avian vet.
Where in CA are you? I might be able to direct you to a clinic.
Please keep us updated on how he's progressing. I hope you're able to get him to an avian vet as soon as possible. You've been given the best advice the forums can offer, now it's up to the professionals.
He does have scaly face mites, by the way, so when you get him to the vet, once he's in a stable condition you should pick up some Invermectin to treat him for the mites after his other problem is resolved.
I hope he pulls through!
and Princess Mallorn!
Thank you to Deb for her wonderful Faery magic
Hi everyone... I managed to get him to an emergency clinic yesterday, but it was too late... They said he died last night Havent found the cause of the problem but I went to the breeder I got him from today and it appears something was wrong with their genes or something, as all his siblings passed away as well, a few weeks before my guy. Thanks to everyone for their help and support, and RIP Apollo