All 3 budgies seem very ill, need detailed response
Follow-up CenterThreads made in the Emergency Room forum will be moved here by staff as a way to follow-up with members after their budgie emergency.
This keeps the E.R. for only the most current emergencies.
All 3 budgies seem very ill, need detailed response
I apologize if I posted this in the wrong forum section, I am a new user.
I have been caring for three budgies in the absence of their owner. There were four originally, but one died around a week ago from what I believe was a respiratory illness which I, after having done some research, realized he had been suffering from it long-term.
Now the three remaining budgies are showing signs of illness as well; one is puffed up and his eyes are often half-lidded while he's awake. He also has a tail bob and occasionally looks as if he's shivering. He still vocalizes,eats and drinks normally but otherwise looks unwell. His vent is clean as far as I can tell. He isn't very alert as he sleeps more often now.
The second male is highly alert but his breathing is rapid and loud, his entire body moves slightly with each breath. He has a very slight tail bob. I've recently noticed that he opens and closes his beak at times to emit a scraping sound? He will do it for long periods of time and it looks as if he's trying to eat something still in his mouth. He also seems sleepy at times.
The third, a female, is also breathing heavily but without any loud sound or wheezing. She is alert as well. Her tail bob is not as apparent as the other two. She is the eldest. She laid a clutch of fertile eggs last month, before they were placed in my care, but it wasn't successful.
I have also heard loud sneezes punctuated with a squeak but I do not know which of the three it is coming from.
I am unexperienced with birds so if any of these are telltale signs that they need to be taken to a vet right away, I will make sure to do so. I do have an exotic vet nearby but am unsure if I can afford taking all three.
They've all been more quiet than usual for the past few days. I've changed their diet to include more fruits and veggies as they were only eating millet before I came. I want to know if there's any supplement or antibiotic I can give them to ease whatever it is before I find a way to take them to the vet? Or any info at all on what exactly they might be having.
I don't want them to get to the stage of illness that the previous budgie was in, as it was very severe and I knew there was nothing more I could do for him.
I'm very sorry for the situation you are currently in...
From your description, I gather the budgie owner was aware of the illness that ended up taking one of the budgies...
Did the owner happen to have the budgie examined by an avian vet and if so, did he/she leave you directions as a far as medication/treatment goes?
I have to say that given the circumstances, it was really bad timing (not to mention irresponsible) for the owner to not be present to assist the sick budgie and to take the necessary precautions to safeguard the health of the rest of the clock by quarantining the sick bird.
A diet of strictly millet is very lacking as well, unfortunately it seems the flock hasn't been kept in decent conditions.
No doubt you must also be feeling quite overwhelmed by the whole situation, since you are fairly new in taking care of pet birds.
From your account, it really seems that all of the budgies currently under your care are suffering from respiratory distress and they need to be examined by an avian or exotics vet experienced in birds as soon as possible.
You need to contact the owner and let him/her know what is happening to the budgies and of how they need prompt medical attention and that the expenses should be covered by him/her.
For now, you can keep them warm by covering the cage on 3 sides, placing a heating pad or hot water bottle underneath the cage.
In order to provide some relief and facilitate their breathing, you can create a little steam room for the budgies by running the shower hot, placing the cage on the bathroom and closing the door.
To hopefully give the budgies a little boost, you can soak millet spray in electrolyte solution.
You will find the recipe here: https://talkbudgies.com/your-budgies-...te-recipe.html
I truly hope you will be able help these budgies and they will be soon on the road of recovery.
RIP sweet Tito (Summer 2008 - January 17th 2013).
You are missed and never will be forgotten.
Ah yes, he did know that the first budgie was sick but could not do much for it at the time as he was not home often. I eventually quarantined the bird myself during the last stages of the sickness as it had come to the point where it could no longer feed itself without the others chasing it off or even perch normally, but it seemed to already have infected the others by then.
And I believe he did take the budgie to the vet once, I remember that he had to have them take a particular medicine, but I do not remember which ailment it was for. I am waiting for a response from him about it, in case he still has some of it remaining.
I know a good vet nearby, so I'll try to see when an appointment can be made and if all three can be taken.
Thank you for the extra info, I'll make sure to do all of that for them.
Hi, welcome. I'm sorry to hear that petsitting in this situation you came into, is more worrisome than it should be . Aluz has given you good advice above as to what you can do from this point.
You mention that the owner is away much of the time, even having left a clutch of fertile eggs in your care once (which is a task that most knowledgeable pet bird owners are ill prepared to take on). Imho, you would be a much better owner for these birds, having done some research on basic healthcare and diet, and taking the time to notice the symptoms.
Thank you for your compassion and efforts towards these innocent little creatures. Please keep us posted after you hear back from the owner.
Edit: good suggestion below from cody. They all probably have the same illness, so just taking one should be okay. They always give you more medicine than you need for one bird. I hope the owner is willing to reimburse you.
Last edited by RavensGryf; 02-07-2017 at 02:49 PM.
Sorry you are in this situation, I agree that you would be a better owner for these birds. Perhaps you could take the bird that seems the most ill to the vet, if you can't take all of them, and explain the situation, the treatment will most likely be the same for all the birds, the vet will be able to instruct you further. When birds are ill, time is of the essence as things can go downhill quickly, so the sooner you are able to get to the vet the better it will be. Thanks for being willing to take charge of things.
I just got a reply back from him and he says that he doesn't have any more of the old medication nor does he remember what it had been used for.
And I think I will take the one who is worst off, as Cody suggested, as it would be quite expensive to take all 3 for similar illnesses.
I suppose I'll just have to note down all their symptoms and mention them once I get to the vet, which will hopefully be sometime this week if not tomorrow. I've also sprayed the solution into the millet and covered the 3 sides of the cage along with the heating pad as Aluz instructed. The steamed area will have to wait for later this evening, as I'll be home then and would prefer to keep an eye on them when I have them moved. I hope I can help them as soon as I can.
Dear glitch thank you for taking care of birds. When our Lulu was sick, our vet told us "what one bird has, all other birds have too", so I think you would need to treat all birds. Just go to vet ASAP.
Keep in mind too, that time is of the essence here when you have sick birds. They are generally more delicate than mammals, and tend to keep their illness hidden or subtle for longer. Once they are sick enough to show symptoms, their illness is quite advanced.
The recommendation at this point is to make a vet appointment and see if they can see one on emergency or asap. Most vets have appointment slots open just for emergency reasons. I do understand you have a schedule as well, and may be working. Is there an emergency or after hours 'all pet' vet around? That is even better than nothing in a dire health situation. Thank you again.
You've received excellent advice from the previous posters.
It is very unfortunate you've been put into this situation and I'm very thankful you are doing all you can to assure these poor budgie's get the treatment they so desperately need. Taking the budgie with the worst symptoms to the vet and informing the vet that all three are very ill is your best course of action.
I don't know your relationship with the individual for whom you are bird sitting but the person should not have pets at this point in time.
Once the crisis has passed, it would be best if you take the birds to care for them yourself.
Additionally, I would suggest indicating to the owner that he should not have pets since he cannot provide the attention and care they need.
Depending on how close you are to the person - if the individual is not receptive to surrendering the budgies to you, you may wish to report him to the Animal Welfare Agency in your area so they can take the necessary action to ensure the budgie's wellbeing. (Obviously, that would likely end your relationship with their current owner.)
We will be looking forward to your update with regard to the budgies' condition.
Best wishes and blessings for your kindness and compassion.