Follow-up CenterThreads made in the Emergency Room forum will be moved here by staff as a way to follow-up with members after their budgie emergency.
This keeps the E.R. for only the most current emergencies.
Basically, My poor little bird Hoss must have hurt his leg. I noticed it when I pulled him out one day and he wouldnt really clutch as tight on his right leg. Now I notice in his cage when he sits on a perch he lifts that leg up and only sits on his left. His other leg is still functional but its like he doesn't want to use it. He doesn't seem in any pain at ALL, he is still a flying happy chirping boy but he really doesn't seem to wanna use that leg as much. I notice that when he climbs on his cage wall, he still uses it, but not as much as the other and it has me worried. I am not sure where my nearest avian vet is and if someone could maybe help me out finding one I would appreciate that because on the "Find your closest avian vet site" I couldn't seem to find one. Since he isn't in pain, but wont really stand on it, I could only assume it got caught on something and maybe he sprained/ stuck it. Should I just give him a week or so and see if he improves or what? Thank you!
If you catch him with your hand in his cage when you get him out the the cage, his foot/leg may be sprained (which can recover with rest), but if an avian vet is nearby, I'd have him checked. If that's not possible. I give him plenty of rest, no handling, keep him in his cage. A vet would be able to tell if this is more serious such as a dislocation. Birds are good at hiding a problem and although they may not show pain, they definitely may have pain. Good luck.
Appreciate the response. I will probably give him a week or 2 of good rest and good eating and water to see if it can just fix itself, if it cannot, I will attempt to find a vet and get him checked, thanks!
What type of perches do you have in the cage?
Have you checked the bottom of the foot to see if there are any pressure sores?
You can give Hoss room temperature unsweetened chamomile tea to drink as it has mild anti-inflammatory properties.
If there are no Avian Vets in your immediate area, the next best option is to seek out an Exotic Pet Veterinarian with experience in treating small birds.
It is important you do this. While this injury may or may not "heal itself" there may come a time when Hoss needs veterinarian care quickly for an injury or illness. Having your budgie examined by an qualified Avian/Exotic (small bird) Vet allows you to develop a good relationship with the vet in case your bird needs care for an injury or illness in the future.
Additionally, it is always helpful for the vet to have a baseline for your bird to refer to should it need future treatment.
could it possibly be the length of his nails? He hasn't had a nail trim in a little over 4 months because of how cold it has gotten here and I am afraid taking him outside will be certain death. Could that be a factor of favoring one foot? they do seem pretty long. The next week we have solid weather I do plan on taking him. Could this be it? Also, what is a safe temp to take him outside to get in my car to the pet store? It hasn't gotten over 30 in a while in Ohio. But on a nice 40-50 degree day could I try to take him out?
As long as proper caution is taken to prevent freezing it's okay to take them to the vet when it's cold out. We get -35°C here and I have had to take Smol to the vet in that. (That's -31° F)
As long as you cover the cage with a blanket and heat up the car properly before leaving, it should be okay. But I'd like to mention taking birds out in such cold weather shouldn't be done regularly, as that is stressful on them. But if it's been 4 months since you've gotten a trim and you think that's causing your budgie discomfort I'd book him in right away.
Have you called your Avian Vet to express your concerns?
If you have a good relationship with your budgie's vet, s/he will probably be able to give you some advice over the phone about whether to wait or bring the budgie in right away.
If you warm the car up prior to taking the budgie out to it and wrap the cage securely in a blanket (or two!) to ensure there are no drafts, then transporting your budgie to/from the vet should not be a problem.
Ensure that once you are in the warm car with the cage, you remove one of the blankets and uncover a corner or one side of the cage so the budgie can get the proper amount of air.
I'm moving your thread over to the Follow-up Section of the Forum.
Please be sure to update us on his condition in this thread.