Follow-up CenterThreads made in the Emergency Room forum will be moved here by staff as a way to follow-up with members after their budgie emergency.
This keeps the E.R. for only the most current emergencies.
Quinn, one of the two 8 week old budgies I'm taking home from my mothers this week, seems to have something wrong.
S/he is sneezing and wheezing... the sneezing started last night, and by this morning Quinn is up in the top of the cage on top of a bell toy in the cage, squeaking away and sneezing.
There's an avian vet in the next city over, but it doesn't open for another 2 hours. What can I do in the meantime? Should I separate Parker and Quinn into different cages? Do I need to heat up the room more?
I don't know how Quinn would have gotten sick... it hasn't been too cold in the house, and everyone washes their hands before touching the birds. Can a human cold be contagious to budgies? I just came down with one two days ago.
This isn't good. The vet think thinks Quinn had a crop infection, which has spread to her lungs. The sneezing was actually coughing. We've been given antibiotics, and were told that if things improve, we would hopefully see improvements within the next few days. that is, if I can even get the medication into her. Any tips for administering drops?
As it turns out, my mother had picked up the wrong food for them by accident, mixing up the original Hartz Bonanza with LM farms Bonanza. Seems none the the birds liked it, and it's possible that Quinn went without food for a few days. When there was better food available, the vet figures she ate too much, and maybe the food sat too long in her crop, which would have caused the infection.
He said she is young and active still, And her weight is good for her size (which betters her chances of survival), but really we just have to wait and see. I'll be so upset if she doesn't make it.
Sorry Quinn is ill. When I have to give meds by mouth this is what I do and my birds are not hand tame. I medicate in the early am or at bedtime or both if required. I make sure the lights are very dim, if I am doing it in the am I try to do it before the sun is up so the room is naturally dark except for one dim light that I will turn on so I can see what I am doing. I will very quietly and slowly open the cage and reach in and get the bird in my hand bring him out put the meds in his mouth and return him to the cage right away and keep the lights still dim. This usually makes the bird nervous which is why I do not turn up the lights immediately, I want to give the bird time to settle down. Sometimes I will use a small cloth and not my bare hands, it depends on the bird. Be careful not to compress the chest when you hold the bird as that can interfere with their breathing if the air sacs are compressed. It does take some practice but try not to be nervous yourself when you do this as the bird will pick up on your nervousness. If you find that you are not able to medicate the bird ask the vet if they can give the bird injections, this of course would require multiple vet visits. Sometimes the vet can give something to be put in the water but you can never be sure if the bird is getting enough to take care of the infection and budgies don't drink too much anyway so it is not always the best course of action. What is the name of the med you were given? Did you see an avian vet?
We did see an avian vet... he prescribed Enrofloxacin.
Hm, I already gave Quinn the first dose (or at least I'm hoping I got it in), at 12:50pm. It kind of makes things more complicated because I am supposed to give it every 12 hours - do you think it's okay to give the next dose earlier so that we can get on a better schedule? In hindsight I should have started at about 6 or 7pm, so that I wouldn't be having to stay up late. I was just more concerned with starting the meds to try and make her feel better.
Quinn, like most birds, is only good on her own terms. I tried having her sit on my finger and just getting the dropper near her beak, but no such luck. Maybe wishful thinking. It kind of ended in a struggle to get her out, since she didn't want to be removed from her cage again. I'll try your method of dimming the lights.
She's still pretty active, hoping on the front bars to greet me, but I'm really concerned because her squeaking has progressed to clicking sounds since we came from the vet. She's also hanging her lower beak out further than her upper at times, and her feet are cool. I started up a heater in the room to make sure there isn't a chill, not pointing at her or any of the other birds though.
The vet was really nice. He said his office is closed for tomorrow and the 25th, but gives his cell number to his patients in case they need extra advice. I'll give a call if I continue to have a significant amount of trouble with the meds.
Iím so sorry your baby isnít feeling well. I canít help much on the medical front, but if you think Quinn might be a bit cold, you can cover the top and three sides of the cage to keep the warmth in. Itíll also help him/her feel more safe and secure while s/heís not feeling 100%. Hoping your bub feels much better very soon.
Yes, you can give the dose at a different time to get Quinn onto a better schedule.
Did the vet show you how to hold her and administer the drop directly into her mouth?
Dimming the lights as Cody advised is always a good thing when you are trying to catch her to give her the medication.
Using a cloth to hold her may help as well.
It will take a few days before you notice an improvement.
When my little Shelby had a crop infection and had to be given oral medication twice a day, it took over a week before he seemed to really be improving.
Well he showed me how he held her, but because Quinn is just getting used to finger training, and otherwise panics when you try to hold her in any other way, the only advice he could give was to maybe get her to try and eat something like celery leaves (or maybe he meant to distract her with it to try and gently take her out of the cage). Either way, it doesn't seem Quinn is overly interested in anything asides from millet, and even then, only if it's hanging from the cage ceiling, sans human interference. All I know is that he said to make sure she wasn't on her back when I gave her the drops, to prevent her from choking on or inhaling them.
Did your bird also get the respiratory problems along with the crop infection?
Thanks for the link to the video. We have been trying to put the medication in the way he suggests, but can't get the hold right. Right now we are having to wrap her in a small towel with her head peaking out, because she puts up such a fight. And even then, I'm not always sure how much of the medication she's getting in, because often she wont open her beak, or she shakes her head, and the medication goes everywhere. Seems I'm not very good at this.
We've also had the issue that she decided that she didn't want to eat anything but millet spray. Turns out she had made friends with her own reflection in a toy mirror (has a little perch, beads, and a tiny bowl), and wanted to stay there most the time. We had left it in thinking it gave her another place to sit, since none of the pet stores here carry any kind of perch, and being the holidays, deliveries from amazon wouldn't make it on time. I started putting seed in the tiny mirror bowl, which she is eating now, but her cough and wheeze that seemed better yesterday, is back again today. Any idea if it is normal for it to get better then worse sometimes? Or might it just be that things are irritated again now that she's eating more?
I know we are only on day 3 of treatment, but now I'm worried that instead of needing to be treated for a bacterial infection, she may need meds for a fungal infection instead. And the vet office will not be open until December 27th
Three days of treatment is not really long enough to see a marked improvement just keep up with the medication, The antibiotic you are giving is a common broad spectrum one that can take care of many bacterial issues. Did the vet do a crop/throat swab when you were there? That is a test that is commonly done when looking to see if there is an infection of some type. In doing that test it can be determined if there is a bacterial or fungal problem. If the bird is not improving after a week or if you see things getting worse you need to let the vet know asap. A method I use when I have to medicate a bird that will not hold still is this, I let the bird sit on my knee with my hand over it, this seems to have a calming effect, then I gently move my thumb and index finger up near the head and then insert the medication in the beak. Sometimes if you gently tap the beak the bird will open its mouth enough for you to be able to get the med in.