Hi All, we've been looking for a friend to give our budgie company and we finally found an adorable little budgie at RSPCA. She is a stray that was brought to them end of December. Apparently one of their staff is quite experienced with birds and she inspected the budgie and thought that everything is ok but she hasn't seen a vet. She also hasn't been dewormed or anything like that.
1. I thought I knew everything about quarantine but now I'm freaking out a bit. So we are keeping the new budgie (MF) in a room on the ground floor and the other budgie (P) in another room on the first floor. I wash my hands every time after going near the new budgie but I read somewhere that you should also change your clothes, have a shower, etc. Is that true?? Yesterday I changed the lining of the new budgie's cage, then washed my hands and then spent some time with my other budgie P feeding her seeds and pellets from my hand. I didn't shower or change my clothes and now I'm worried that I might have carried any parasites to P.
Is it true that you really need to change your clothes and/or shower? Do I have to be more careful considering that she's a rescue budgie and no one really knows where she's come from? She seems healthy and not itchy at all.
We are planning to take the new budgie to a vet as soon as she has settled in a bit more. She isn't hand tame so I don't want to stress her out more at the moment by trying to catch her.
2. Also, in spite of being in 2 separate rooms and on separate floors they can hear each other even through closed doors. They keep chirping to each other. Is that ok considering that they aren't going to actually meet or see each other for another 6 weeks? I'm worried that it might be a bit disturbing for them..or that they might start pining away for each other...
3. I'd like to tame the new budgie and bond with her while she's going through quarantine. Will hearing another budgie chirp in the house make the bonding process more difficult?
4. MF seems to have a deformed foot. At RSPCA they thought that she was probably born with it and that it's nothing serious. It looks as if on her left foot all her toes are pointing to the front and two of them (the two that are supposed to point backwards I suppose) are sort of curled up. She seems to be fully mobile. She can walk, climb and fly very well though she does struggle to get onto her swing and sometimes falls off after landing on it. We'll ask the vet about it but has anyone sees this? Do you think, it's serious? Is there anything that has to be done? She also seems to spend more time on the bottom of the cage (which P, our other budgie never ever does). It might because because she's still young. She still has the bars on her head so I'm guessing that she's younger than 6 months, maybe between 3-6 months. She seems healthy otherwise.
5. I looked up what mutation she might be but I've forgotten the name again. I think, it's a fairly standard one. She's blue and white. ..except that her white feathers aren't completely white but seem to have a slightly browning tint to them. Is that normal? This might be a stupid question but could it be just dirt? P is yellow and white and her white feathers are completely white. P also preens and grooms herself constantly and I haven't really seen MF do any preening yet.