How to get budgies who have lost their appetite to eat? - Talk Budgies Forums


User Menu
Forum Home
Budgie Gallery
Budgie FAQ
Site Guidelines
How-To-Guide
Members List
Today's Posts
Log In
Register now!
Search



Advanced Search
Popular Forums
Announcements

Budgie Articles

Budgie Talk

Budgie Pictures

Budgie Videos

Budgie Behavior

Determining Gender

Your Budgie's Health

Taming and Bonding

Budgie Breeding

In Memory

Other Birds

Contests

Chit Chat

Site Information

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots
Sponsored Ads

Go Back   Talk Budgies Forums > Budgie Talk > General Budgie Talk


Closed Thread
 
Short URL LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-06-2015, 06:40 PM
Imaginary's Avatar
Hatchling
 
Profile:Imaginary is offline
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Lover
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 192
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 249
Rep Power: 5
Imaginary has a spectacular auraImaginary has a spectacular auraImaginary has a spectacular aura
Default How to get budgies who have lost their appetite to eat?

Ludvig is ill at the moment, which I might make a post about later. Anyway, as a result, he's really lost his appetite. It would be ok if Mel ate though, but because there has been so much change lately (one budgue moved out, two car trips, one of them to the vet), he's completely lost the rythm. I've placed the seed cups in the easiest places, but they don't eat at all. Mel have taken a couple of seed when I've picked in it myself, but he quickly loses interest and starts doing something else. I've finally gotten them to eat millet, which they can eat almost enough of for an entire meal, but Ludvig is on antibiotics and he needs those seeds, now.

How can I further encourage them to eat? They normally eat just about anything, lots of it too. They are all very tame, so it is not my presence that is the problem.
I've tried giving them easy access to food, messing around in it myself, offered seeds from bowls, plates, which they accepted before, hand feeding, waiting for them to get real hungry so that they won't eat very little amounts very often (I don't mean starving them, but to just make sure they are not eating small amounts all the time), and so on.. They won't eat at all, or they'll eat just a couple of seeds.

Ludvig needs Melvins encouragement, but Melvin is out of balance. They both need to get enough food now, especially because Ludvig is on antibiotics. I think that it will fix itself after some time, but ad I've said, I don't have time. does anyone know any other tips to get the budgies to eat seeds when they won't? I'll give them hard boiled eggs tomorrow, but seeds is what they need. Thank you in advance.

__________________
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 03-06-2015, 07:05 PM
FaeryBee's Avatar
FaeryBee (Deborah)
Administrator



State:
 
Profile:FaeryBee is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 7
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Enthusiast
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 53,724
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 2575
Rep Power: 35
FaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond repute
Default

I'd suggest you soak a couple of millet sprays in an electrolyte solution and put those in their cage.

Usually budgies will eat millet when they won't eat anything else.
__________________

  #3  
Old 03-06-2015, 07:17 PM
Imaginary's Avatar
Hatchling
 
Profile:Imaginary is offline
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Lover
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 192
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 249
Rep Power: 5
Imaginary has a spectacular auraImaginary has a spectacular auraImaginary has a spectacular aura
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaeryBee View Post
I'd suggest you soak a couple of millet sprays in an electrolyte solution and put those in their cage.

Usually budgies will eat millet when they won't eat anything else.
Thank you for your response, but as I said in the post, I have gotten them to eat millet, but it doesn't cover their needs (especially because Lud is sick), I need to get them to eat normal seeds as well. Sorry if the post is messy, I'm falling asleep over here.
__________________
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 03-06-2015, 08:11 PM
FaeryBee's Avatar
FaeryBee (Deborah)
Administrator



State:
 
Profile:FaeryBee is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 7
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Enthusiast
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 53,724
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 2575
Rep Power: 35
FaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginary View Post
Thank you for your response, but as I said in the post, I have gotten them to eat millet, but it doesn't cover their needs (especially because Lud is sick), I need to get them to eat normal seeds as well. Sorry if the post is messy, I'm falling asleep over here.
My fault -- I misread your initial post.

I'm sorry I don't have any good ideas other than mixing their seed in with the egg food tomorrow. Hopefully that will encourage them both to eat a good meal.

https://www.cutelittlebirdiesaviary.c...gies-diet.html
__________________


Last edited by FaeryBee; 03-06-2015 at 08:27 PM.
  #5  
Old 03-06-2015, 08:48 PM
Niamhf's Avatar
Niamhf (Niamh)
Member of the Month June 2015
State:
 
Profile:Niamhf is offline
Gender:
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Owner
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,510
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 4491
Rep Power: 15
Niamhf has a reputation beyond reputeNiamhf has a reputation beyond reputeNiamhf has a reputation beyond reputeNiamhf has a reputation beyond reputeNiamhf has a reputation beyond reputeNiamhf has a reputation beyond reputeNiamhf has a reputation beyond reputeNiamhf has a reputation beyond reputeNiamhf has a reputation beyond reputeNiamhf has a reputation beyond reputeNiamhf has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Sorry to hear that your birds are sick. I'm having the same problem with Oisin who is still on antibiotics also. He is refusing all other food except millet and even has days where he is too nauseated to eat that. He has started showing interest in his other seeds over the past couple of days but still hasn't put back on any of the weight he lost. I wish I had some advice for you but I'm at the point where I'm just glad he's eating something. I hope you have success and your birds make a good recovery.
  #6  
Old 03-07-2015, 03:49 AM
PrincipePio's Avatar
PrincipePio (Bethany)
Member of the Month March 2015
 
Profile:PrincipePio is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 1
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Owner
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 1,885
Gallery: 26
Karma:
Points: 2025
Rep Power: 10
PrincipePio has a reputation beyond reputePrincipePio has a reputation beyond reputePrincipePio has a reputation beyond reputePrincipePio has a reputation beyond reputePrincipePio has a reputation beyond reputePrincipePio has a reputation beyond reputePrincipePio has a reputation beyond reputePrincipePio has a reputation beyond reputePrincipePio has a reputation beyond reputePrincipePio has a reputation beyond reputePrincipePio has a reputation beyond repute
Default

My avian vet says that, when they are sick, give them as much as they will eat of whatever they want. Many seed mixes are composed largely of millet anyhow, so if they are eating it, they are getting some nutrition. I've found that Sammy will eat egg food when he refuses everything else. If they aren't eating due to nausea, ask your vet to give them Primperan (might be called something different in other countries) which will cut off vomiting and nausea.

If he is losing weight quickly, your vet can feed him with a crop needle (or you can try feeding him a few drops of warm and liquidy hand feed formula with a syringe - no needle!, which will help him gain a lot of strength). He can also be given liquids via a shot if needed at the vet.

Good luck and hope they are eating well soon!
  #7  
Old 03-07-2015, 04:59 AM
Imaginary's Avatar
Hatchling
 
Profile:Imaginary is offline
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Lover
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 192
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 249
Rep Power: 5
Imaginary has a spectacular auraImaginary has a spectacular auraImaginary has a spectacular aura
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaeryBee View Post


My fault -- I misread your initial post.

I'm sorry I don't have any good ideas other than mixing their seed in with the egg food tomorrow. Hopefully that will encourage them both to eat a good meal.

Our Budgies Diet - Cute Little Birdies Aviary
Thank you, I didn't think of mixing the egg with the seeds, so I hope that'll do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincipePio View Post
My avian vet says that, when they are sick, give them as much as they will eat of whatever they want. Many seed mixes are composed largely of millet anyhow, so if they are eating it, they are getting some nutrition. I've found that Sammy will eat egg food when he refuses everything else. If they aren't eating due to nausea, ask your vet to give them Primperan (might be called something different in other countries) which will cut off vomiting and nausea.

If he is losing weight quickly, your vet can feed him with a crop needle (or you can try feeding him a few drops of warm and liquidy hand feed formula with a syringe - no needle!, which will help him gain a lot of strength). He can also be given liquids via a shot if needed at the vet.

Good luck and hope they are eating well soon!
Well it's good to hear that it's ok if they just want millet. I don't think I'll be feeding him with a syringe, since the antibiotics are given orally which stresses him out a lot. We will put a vitamin solution thingy on his food though, especially vitamin A (vets recommendation). I'll try the syringe if he gets worse than he already is at eating, thank you. I think I'll also weigh him now, but I'm not sure if it is necessary; I should be able to track the weight through observation of his meals. The vet gave him a vitamin shot to boost his immune system, so that helps. Thank you again for sharing you experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamhf View Post
Sorry to hear that your birds are sick. I'm having the same problem with Oisin who is still on antibiotics also. He is refusing all other food except millet and even has days where he is too nauseated to eat that. He has started showing interest in his other seeds over the past couple of days but still hasn't put back on any of the weight he lost. I wish I had some advice for you but I'm at the point where I'm just glad he's eating something. I hope you have success and your birds make a good recovery.
I hope your bird will recover as well. And yeah, that they are at all eating something is great.
__________________
  #8  
Old 03-07-2015, 05:13 AM
Pretty boy's Avatar
Pretty boy (Cathy)
Veteran Budgie
State:
 
Profile:Pretty boy is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 4
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Lover
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Karridale, west australia
Posts: 12,513
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 8700
Rep Power: 29
Pretty boy has a reputation beyond reputePretty boy has a reputation beyond reputePretty boy has a reputation beyond reputePretty boy has a reputation beyond reputePretty boy has a reputation beyond reputePretty boy has a reputation beyond reputePretty boy has a reputation beyond reputePretty boy has a reputation beyond reputePretty boy has a reputation beyond reputePretty boy has a reputation beyond reputePretty boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default

When they are sick it is important to just get something into them if millet is all they will eat give that, get some probiotics and add that as well sprinkle the millet with the powder. Egg and biscuit mix is easily ate a well when they are sick it adds condition and weight too.
__________________
  #9  
Old 03-07-2015, 06:55 AM
Imaginary's Avatar
Hatchling
 
Profile:Imaginary is offline
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Lover
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 192
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 249
Rep Power: 5
Imaginary has a spectacular auraImaginary has a spectacular auraImaginary has a spectacular aura
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty boy View Post
When they are sick it is important to just get something into them if millet is all they will eat give that, get some probiotics and add that as well sprinkle the millet with the powder. Egg and biscuit mix is easily ate a well when they are sick it adds condition and weight too.
I talked with the vet about probiotics, which she only adviced for if the poop started to get really wet and all, to restore the bacteria in the bowels. I notice that it is much more common to use more drugs on budgies in other countries, we keep it to a minimal here.

I have thought of probiotics, but I'll probably stick to extra vitamins, egg, biscuits etc. Are there any other effects of the probiotics? Does it help their immune system much? Thanks!
__________________
  #10  
Old 03-07-2015, 09:59 PM
Pretty boy's Avatar
Pretty boy (Cathy)
Veteran Budgie
State:
 
Profile:Pretty boy is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 4
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Lover
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Karridale, west australia
Posts: 12,513
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 8700
Rep Power: 29
Pretty boy has a reputation beyond reputePretty boy has a reputation beyond reputePretty boy has a reputation beyond reputePretty boy has a reputation beyond reputePretty boy has a reputation beyond reputePretty boy has a reputation beyond reputePretty boy has a reputation beyond reputePretty boy has a reputation beyond reputePretty boy has a reputation beyond reputePretty boy has a reputation beyond reputePretty boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default

I add probiotics to my budgies seed mix once or twice a week not every day. Sorry I should of added that. Probiotics do aid the digestion and keep the gut healthy, I agree totally having a fresh and varied diet is of the upmost importance for a healthy budgie.
__________________
Closed Thread



Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:06 PM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright © 2000- 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2006 - , 2403 Networks LLC. All rights reserved.