You are absolutely right that we're not even remotely close to thinking about breeding. I just don't want to "accidentally" be faced with it. How much can I limit daytime hours by?
Plumb's band is metal, not plastic. Maybe it's because Kiwi doesn't have one that he goes after it - ? Don't know why Kiwi's breeder doesn't use them. But if it escalates I'll look to make an appointment to remove it. There's no way that I'm trying that myself!
Originally Posted by FaeryBee
Is Plumb's vent dirty from loose runny poop or is it coated with stuck on poop?
The main thing is that you don't want sticky poo clogging her vent which is explained in the link I gave you about "Pasting of the Vent".
I agree with Randy that the longer you have Plumb the harder it will be on both her and Kiwi should you decide later to return her.
May I ask why you no longer want her?
If it is only the matter of the loose poop -- I don't think that should be your deciding factor at this point.
The picture attached is not the best. The soiling is a little worst that what it looks like in the pic. The vent is not clogged, just the feathers soiled. Around the vent, though I see pink flesh. Is it that she's missing feathers from around the vent area? And if so, is this bad?
The longer this goes the longer that it's hard on Kiwi . . . and all of us too. It's been one day and the kids are beginning to get attached. And I can't deny that tPlumb is growing on me too. Of course you guys aren't helping any either
The main reason for me wanting to return her would be sickness. The second that she's a female (I know sexual discrimination). I've read some conflicting reports on female temperament, but quite frankly never wanted to find out first hand. I remember growing up with a pair of budgies (male & female) and she was quite aggressive! That may have been due to inexperienced budgie owners - my parents were not really experienced. Regardless, that was my motivation.
I think she's a beautiful bird and that they're getting along so well is so enjoyable. I am not able to return to the store until this Saturday (it's over 3 hours drive away) so the way things are going, I doubt very much that we'll be able to return Plumb (sigh - if they weren't so cute . . . )
I'll keep you guys posted.