Those talking budgies - Talk Budgies Forums


User Menu
Forum Home
Budgie Gallery
Budgie FAQ
Site Guidelines
How-To-Guide
Members List
Today's Posts
Log In
Register now!
Search



Advanced Search
Popular Forums
Announcements

Budgie Articles

Budgie Talk

Budgie Pictures

Budgie Videos

Budgie Behavior

Determining Gender

Your Budgie's Health

Taming and Bonding

Budgie Breeding

In Memory

Other Birds

Contests

Chit Chat

Site Information

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots
Sponsored Ads

Go Back   Talk Budgies Forums > Budgie Talk > General Budgie Talk


Closed Thread
 
Short URL LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 05-20-2015, 11:19 AM
justmoira (Moira)
Budgie
State:
 
Profile:justmoira is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 2
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Lover
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 1,220
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 1880
Rep Power: 9
justmoira is worthy of great admirationjustmoira is worthy of great admirationjustmoira is worthy of great admirationjustmoira is worthy of great admirationjustmoira is worthy of great admirationjustmoira is worthy of great admirationjustmoira is worthy of great admirationjustmoira is worthy of great admirationjustmoira is worthy of great admirationjustmoira is worthy of great admirationjustmoira is worthy of great admiration
Talking Those talking budgies

As you might already know, I have two budgies. Sweetie, a male, and Lemon, a female. Sweetie talks his head off from morning til night. His phrases are usually:
  • I'm a baby bird
  • Sweetie is a baby bird
  • Lemon is a baby bird
  • Don't care, wanna party (you can thank my husband for this one)
  • Calm your pants (can you guess what I tell them when they get all crazy?)
  • Me gustas tu
  • Je t'aime
  • What's thaaaaaat?
  • PEEP PEEP
  • Ooooooooooooooo

There's also some garbled stuff I'm certain will turn into something later on. Not too bad, but I'm not trying to actively train him to say anything. However, in the past couple days, LEMON has been speaking! She's been saying in her quiet little voice "I'm a baby bird" and "peep peep". It's ridiculously adorable! I wasn't sure because the hens don't usually speak, I had to get my husband to come and confirm (I didn't tell him what I suspected her of saying so he wouldn't be biased).

Do any of you have a girl that speaks? What does she say? I'm so pleased Lemon has decided to join in on the chatter!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 05-20-2015, 12:03 PM
Egg
 
Profile:Chukkin is offline
Number of Budgies: 1
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Newbie
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: U.K.
Posts: 77
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 17
Rep Power: 5
Chukkin is on a distinguished road
Default

Oh my goodness, that is so adorable!!! Go Sweetie and Lemon! Loving their names and the little phrases they say! How old are they?

I have one budgie, Buddy, who I suspect is actually female, but is always referred to as male I have had him for almost 6 weeks and he has gone from chirping only, to chirping plus ack-ack, and now he's started what I call mumbling. It's not words, but it's quiet little chirps, squeaks, clicks and it's like he's trying out his voice and seeing what noises he can get out of it! Whether he is male or female (since not all males talk, and some females do talk, so the sex of the budgie doesn't really matter), it's adorable listening to him chattering away to himself.

I do find myself listening out for the little phrases I say to him all the time, and really hope that one day he might speak to me! Even if he doesn't, his little sounds are really cute and I like to think he is trying to talk to me
  #3  
Old 05-20-2015, 12:06 PM
Brienne's Avatar
Brienne (Susan)
Young Budgie
State:
 
Profile:Brienne is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 32
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Lover
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: North coast New South Wales
Posts: 539
Gallery: 2
Karma:
Points: 466
Rep Power: 5
Brienne is a glorious beacon of lightBrienne is a glorious beacon of lightBrienne is a glorious beacon of lightBrienne is a glorious beacon of lightBrienne is a glorious beacon of light
Default

That is sweet
__________________
I never for a day gave up listening to the songs of our birds, or watching their peculiar habits, or delineating them in the best way I could.

John James Audubon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 05-20-2015, 12:15 PM
Listat (Nicola)
Egg
State:
 
Profile:Listat is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 1
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Owner
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Grimsby
Posts: 61
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 10
Rep Power: 5
Listat is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukkin View Post
I have one budgie, Buddy, who I suspect is actually female, but is always referred to as male I have had him for almost 6 weeks and he has gone from chirping only, to chirping plus ack-ack, and now he's started what I call mumbling. It's not words, but it's quiet little chirps, squeaks, clicks and it's like he's trying out his voice and seeing what noises he can get out of it! Whether he is male or female (since not all males talk, and some females do talk, so the sex of the budgie doesn't really matter), it's adorable listening to him chattering away to himself.
My budgie Echo does the same, I've had him for nearly 2 weeks now.

Both male and female budgies are equally as chatty, the fact males talk more than females isn't true it depends on the bird not the gender. My friend had an avary of budgies and some of the females were chattier than the males.
  #5  
Old 05-20-2015, 12:21 PM
justmoira (Moira)
Budgie
State:
 
Profile:justmoira is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 2
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Lover
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 1,220
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 1880
Rep Power: 9
justmoira is worthy of great admirationjustmoira is worthy of great admirationjustmoira is worthy of great admirationjustmoira is worthy of great admirationjustmoira is worthy of great admirationjustmoira is worthy of great admirationjustmoira is worthy of great admirationjustmoira is worthy of great admirationjustmoira is worthy of great admirationjustmoira is worthy of great admirationjustmoira is worthy of great admiration
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukkin View Post
Oh my goodness, that is so adorable!!! Go Sweetie and Lemon! Loving their names and the little phrases they say! How old are they?

I have one budgie, Buddy, who I suspect is actually female, but is always referred to as male I have had him for almost 6 weeks and he has gone from chirping only, to chirping plus ack-ack, and now he's started what I call mumbling. It's not words, but it's quiet little chirps, squeaks, clicks and it's like he's trying out his voice and seeing what noises he can get out of it! Whether he is male or female (since not all males talk, and some females do talk, so the sex of the budgie doesn't really matter), it's adorable listening to him chattering away to himself.

I do find myself listening out for the little phrases I say to him all the time, and really hope that one day he might speak to me! Even if he doesn't, his little sounds are really cute and I like to think he is trying to talk to me
Sweetie will be 2 in August and Lemon will be 1 in August. I talk to them nonstop pretty much, and there's always music on (Sweetie learned Me Gustas Tu from a Manu Chao song that he loves).

Females can learn, most just don't because they are in a group enviroment. If your Buddy is an only bird and you spend tonnes of time every day talking to them, you greatly increase the chance of talking
  #6  
Old 05-20-2015, 12:31 PM
Jedikeet's Avatar
Jedikeet (Nick)
Member of the Month April 2014
State:
 
Profile:Jedikeet is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 7
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Lover
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 3,539
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 7289
Rep Power: 21
Jedikeet has a reputation beyond reputeJedikeet has a reputation beyond reputeJedikeet has a reputation beyond reputeJedikeet has a reputation beyond reputeJedikeet has a reputation beyond reputeJedikeet has a reputation beyond reputeJedikeet has a reputation beyond reputeJedikeet has a reputation beyond reputeJedikeet has a reputation beyond reputeJedikeet has a reputation beyond reputeJedikeet has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Sweetie and Lemon have such impressive vocabularies. My boy budgies are also very chatty but most of their speech are budgie-speak that I need to decipher.
__________________

HOUSE JEDI OF BUDGITON
"Let birds of ALL feathers flock together"

Thy Royal Court
Prince Kobe, Lady Gisele, King Chewie, Queen Betty, Princess Silverhawke (RIP 10/31/2015), Lord Artoo
Guardians of Budgiham Palace
Viserion, Rocco, Drogon, Rhaegal
  #7  
Old 05-20-2015, 02:24 PM
Egg
 
Profile:Chukkin is offline
Number of Budgies: 1
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Newbie
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: U.K.
Posts: 77
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 17
Rep Power: 5
Chukkin is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmoira View Post
Sweetie will be 2 in August and Lemon will be 1 in August. I talk to them nonstop pretty much, and there's always music on (Sweetie learned Me Gustas Tu from a Manu Chao song that he loves).

Females can learn, most just don't because they are in a group enviroment. If your Buddy is an only bird and you spend tonnes of time every day talking to them, you greatly increase the chance of talking
Buddy is an only bird, and he spends at least 3 hours a day (usually 5-6 hours) out of the cage and with me in the same room. I chat to him constantly, especially if he is "mumbling". Sometimes I try to mimic him. I leave either the TV or radio on if I go out, so he doesn't get lonely. I have to remember that he is only a baby (about 5 months old), so it could be AGES before he speaks, if ever!
  #8  
Old 05-20-2015, 04:12 PM
justmoira (Moira)
Budgie
State:
 
Profile:justmoira is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 2
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Lover
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 1,220
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 1880
Rep Power: 9
justmoira is worthy of great admirationjustmoira is worthy of great admirationjustmoira is worthy of great admirationjustmoira is worthy of great admirationjustmoira is worthy of great admirationjustmoira is worthy of great admirationjustmoira is worthy of great admirationjustmoira is worthy of great admirationjustmoira is worthy of great admirationjustmoira is worthy of great admirationjustmoira is worthy of great admiration
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukkin View Post
Buddy is an only bird, and he spends at least 3 hours a day (usually 5-6 hours) out of the cage and with me in the same room. I chat to him constantly, especially if he is "mumbling". Sometimes I try to mimic him. I leave either the TV or radio on if I go out, so he doesn't get lonely. I have to remember that he is only a baby (about 5 months old), so it could be AGES before he speaks, if ever!
I had Sweetie about a month or so when he started saying 'baby bird'. Granted, he's a rescue and was already over a year, but I was the first person to really talk to him so I am very impressed with him.
Sweetie and I play a game where he whistles something he's made up, and I have to copy him. Then he'll do a longer more complicated whistle, and I have to copy that. This continues until I make a mistake, then he gets all excited and chirpy, impressed with himself, haha.
I've also taught him to whistle the FF9 victory battle theme, the Jurassic park theme, and the Game of Thrones theme. Because I am ridiculous.
  #9  
Old 05-20-2015, 04:48 PM
Egg
 
Profile:DitzBitz is offline
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Owner
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 55
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 24
Rep Power: 5
DitzBitz is on a distinguished road
Default

My female peepers had learned to call momma or mommy when she is frightened. It hasn't happened all that often. At first I thought it was my daughter being weird till one day she wasn't home when it happened. Owen says I love you. He does it silently and only once in the morning when he gets up. And I swear they are trying to learn the word kisses.
  #10  
Old 05-20-2015, 04:54 PM
Niamhf's Avatar
Niamhf (Niamh)
Member of the Month June 2015
State:
 
Profile:Niamhf is offline
Gender:
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Owner
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,510
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 4491
Rep Power: 15
Niamhf has a reputation beyond reputeNiamhf has a reputation beyond reputeNiamhf has a reputation beyond reputeNiamhf has a reputation beyond reputeNiamhf has a reputation beyond reputeNiamhf has a reputation beyond reputeNiamhf has a reputation beyond reputeNiamhf has a reputation beyond reputeNiamhf has a reputation beyond reputeNiamhf has a reputation beyond reputeNiamhf has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Oh how cute they are all just so adorable
Closed Thread



Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:40 AM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright © 2000- 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2006 - , 2403 Networks LLC. All rights reserved.