Hello everyone. I'm new to talkbudgies. I feel quite lucky to have found this forum since I need all the help I can get with these two.
So, I bought my budgies at a flea market. One is male (Starly). The other is female (Shell). I bought them on Sunday.
Before I ask my questions, forgive me if I'm posting this in the wrong section. The forums are somewhat overwhelming for me....
OK, so my questions are:
1. My budgies have the habit of closing their eyes during the daytime. They leave them closed for a few seconds, then open them again. It's like they're sleepy and keep taking power naps. Is this normal? Do you think they might not be sleeping well at night?
2. When I took my budgies outside today for a little sun...they seemed OK at first, but then the female started squawking loud and started flying inside the cage like a crazy birdie. After I took them back inside and placed their cage on the same spot as always, she calmed down. Was she afraid of being outside?
3. When it's time to clean the cage thoroughly, I'll have to let them out of their cage. I know the precautions I must take before letting them out (bird-proofing the room), but what worries me most is that I won't be able to get them back in the cage without having to struggle. How would I go about getting them back inside their cage?
4. How often should I take them to a vet? I've read that once a year is fine but I'd like more opinions on this.
5. The female sometimes squawks really loud and flaps her wings really fast. What does that mean? And why doesn't the male male do this?
6. Why do the two of them chew when there's nothing in their mouths? I can hear something crunchy.
Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.