Greyjoy and Beatrix - Talk Budgies Forums


User Menu
Forum Home
Budgie Gallery
Budgie FAQ
Site Guidelines
How-To-Guide
Members List
Today's Posts
Log In
Register now!
Search



Advanced Search
Popular Forums
Announcements

Budgie Articles

Budgie Talk

Budgie Pictures

Budgie Videos

Budgie Behavior

Determining Gender

Your Budgie's Health

Taming and Bonding

Budgie Breeding

In Memory

Other Birds

Contests

Chit Chat

Site Information

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots
Sponsored Ads

Go Back   Talk Budgies Forums > Budgie Talk > General Budgie Talk


Closed Thread
 
Short URL LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 06-20-2015, 03:20 PM
Sansas (Charlie)
Hatchling
State:
 
Profile:Sansas is offline
Number of Budgies: 2
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Lover
Join Date: May 2015
Location: WA-State
Posts: 137
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 195
Rep Power: 5
Sansas has a spectacular auraSansas has a spectacular aura
Thumbs up Greyjoy and Beatrix

Greyjoy I've had GJ for about a month and a week now. He has continued to amaze me and steal my heart over and over. Now that We've had Bea for two weeks I can say that GJ is naturally more confident. Although she is a Spunky Monkey!

About a week ago we had a rough out of cage experience resulting in a scratch on his nose. Okay it was more then a little rough, and more then a little my fault. I felt rushed to get him back in the cage, no real reason I just felt like it had to happen. So I did all the wrong things and scared him all over the room before finally toweling him and getting him back.

We spent a lot of time the next few days reestablishing trust inside the cage. Yesterday we tried again and had the most wonderful time together! He has become so tame and hand friendly. I am working on pushing his tameness to the next level. So as he perched in one hand eating millet I used a finger to stroke his back. He is not a fan of this, but he isn't afraid either. I only did it once or twice and then praised him and let him eat. My goal is to get him comfortable laying on his back in my hand. I can tell this is going to take a long time and a ton of trust from him, but I am excited to keep trying.

I usually do training and taming separately (and bonding all. the. time.). Sometimes I approach with the touch stick, clicker and millet. Sometimes just millet and praise. Other times just my bare hand so we can play together. He loves when I swing his toys around and ring the bells.

I took the three pictures attached of him today. The look on his face is because it's the first time I've actually put my phone inside the cage to take pictures.

Beatrix
We have had her for two weeks now. I can't imagine how young she was when we got her since she still looks like such a baby!

He named her after a character in the movie Kill Bill, honesty I haven't seen it so.... But it seems to fit her well. I call her "baby Bea the baby budgie"

She is my husbands bird and they are getting along really well. She will step up for millet, and doesn't show much signs of being hand shy. I can tell she is more comfortable with him then me. She has taken the whole 14 days to realize she is home, suddenly she seems so comfortable in her cage. She loves her toys! Greyjoy didn't play with a single toy for nearly a month, she's already ringing bells any chance she gets.



They haven't met yet, but they have "discovered" each other and will call across the house.
Attached Thumbnails
Greyjoy and Beatrix-img_3134.jpg   Greyjoy and Beatrix-img_3137.jpg   Greyjoy and Beatrix-img_3138.jpg   Greyjoy and Beatrix-img_3140.jpg   Greyjoy and Beatrix-img_3141.jpg  



Last edited by Sansas; 06-20-2015 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Pictures!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 06-20-2015, 04:53 PM
StarlingWings's Avatar
Super Moderator // MEMBER OF THE YEAR 2015


 
Profile:StarlingWings is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 1
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Lover
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 17,553
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 12055
Rep Power: 38
StarlingWings has a reputation beyond reputeStarlingWings has a reputation beyond reputeStarlingWings has a reputation beyond reputeStarlingWings has a reputation beyond reputeStarlingWings has a reputation beyond reputeStarlingWings has a reputation beyond reputeStarlingWings has a reputation beyond reputeStarlingWings has a reputation beyond reputeStarlingWings has a reputation beyond reputeStarlingWings has a reputation beyond reputeStarlingWings has a reputation beyond repute
Default

What cute little ones! So glad that hubby's found a new friend in Beatrix! They are both gorgeous

Oh, I have to say, though, Beatrix looks like a little boy in those pictures!
__________________

~StarlingWings~
and Princess Mallorn!
Thank you to Deb for her wonderful Faery magic
  #3  
Old 06-20-2015, 04:55 PM
Budgiezilla's Avatar
Budgiezilla (Katherine)
Egg
State:
 
Profile:Budgiezilla is offline
Number of Budgies: 5/6
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Owner
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 56
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 114
Rep Power: 5
Budgiezilla will become famous soon enoughBudgiezilla will become famous soon enough
Default

Congrats on all the progress! As someone who made similar mistakes with my first two budgies (if only I'd joined this forum!), I completely understand the feeling of looking back and realizing there was no real reason to do things like rush them back into the cage, for instance.

They both look like very sweet, healthy darlings. It's wonderful seeing them eat millet that you're offering to them by hand
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 06-20-2015, 04:56 PM
Jonah's Avatar
Jonah (Randy)
Servant of The King


State:
 
Profile:Jonah is offline
Gender:
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Owner
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 11,972
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 16454
Rep Power: 43
Jonah has a reputation beyond reputeJonah has a reputation beyond reputeJonah has a reputation beyond reputeJonah has a reputation beyond reputeJonah has a reputation beyond reputeJonah has a reputation beyond reputeJonah has a reputation beyond reputeJonah has a reputation beyond reputeJonah has a reputation beyond reputeJonah has a reputation beyond reputeJonah has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Very cute little bird's. Beatrix does look very young. What color is that cere in person ?
__________________

He came down from Heaven unto this earth below
He came down from glory and praises untold
He came down to man fashioned in their way
He came down to rescue, He came down to save
  #5  
Old 06-20-2015, 05:21 PM
Sansas (Charlie)
Hatchling
State:
 
Profile:Sansas is offline
Number of Budgies: 2
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Lover
Join Date: May 2015
Location: WA-State
Posts: 137
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 195
Rep Power: 5
Sansas has a spectacular auraSansas has a spectacular aura
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlingWings View Post
What cute little ones! So glad that hubby's found a new friend in Beatrix! They are both gorgeous

Oh, I have to say, though, Beatrix looks like a little boy in those pictures!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah View Post
Very cute little bird's. Beatrix does look very young. What color is that cere in person ?

It is entirely too possible that She is a He. The cere is very purple, in person there are pretty obvious white rings around the nostrils. If it weren't for age I would be sure it's a she.

As for age, he must have gotten her right at 8 weeks? She's been eating on her own since we got her home, I was never concerned she wasn't weaned. Could she have been older then 8 weeks?
  #6  
Old 06-20-2015, 07:04 PM
Jonah's Avatar
Jonah (Randy)
Servant of The King


State:
 
Profile:Jonah is offline
Gender:
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Owner
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 11,972
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 16454
Rep Power: 43
Jonah has a reputation beyond reputeJonah has a reputation beyond reputeJonah has a reputation beyond reputeJonah has a reputation beyond reputeJonah has a reputation beyond reputeJonah has a reputation beyond reputeJonah has a reputation beyond reputeJonah has a reputation beyond reputeJonah has a reputation beyond reputeJonah has a reputation beyond reputeJonah has a reputation beyond repute
Default

White ring's around nares are a good indicator, but not 100 percent reliable. We had a thread on here last night with the same situation. The poster asked for help in sexing the bird almost two years ago. It was very pink/purple with white rings around nares so we all guessed Hen. Poster just posted pic's yesterday showing an obvious mature male...

As far as age, the pet stores cannot reliably tell you because they don't know. A lot of birds are weaned by 6 weeks and may end up in the pet store at less than
eight weeks...
__________________

He came down from Heaven unto this earth below
He came down from glory and praises untold
He came down to man fashioned in their way
He came down to rescue, He came down to save
  #7  
Old 06-20-2015, 07:58 PM
Banned
State:
 
Profile:Devdas is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 1
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Owner
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 90
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 41
Rep Power: 0
Devdas is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansas View Post
Greyjoy I've had GJ for about a month and a week now. He has continued to amaze me and steal my heart over and over. Now that We've had Bea for two weeks I can say that GJ is naturally more confident. Although she is a Spunky Monkey!

About a week ago we had a rough out of cage experience resulting in a scratch on his nose. Okay it was more then a little rough, and more then a little my fault. I felt rushed to get him back in the cage, no real reason I just felt like it had to happen. So I did all the wrong things and scared him all over the room before finally toweling him and getting him back.

We spent a lot of time the next few days reestablishing trust inside the cage. Yesterday we tried again and had the most wonderful time together! He has become so tame and hand friendly. I am working on pushing his tameness to the next level. So as he perched in one hand eating millet I used a finger to stroke his back. He is not a fan of this, but he isn't afraid either. I only did it once or twice and then praised him and let him eat. My goal is to get him comfortable laying on his back in my hand. I can tell this is going to take a long time and a ton of trust from him, but I am excited to keep trying.

I usually do training and taming separately (and bonding all. the. time.). Sometimes I approach with the touch stick, clicker and millet. Sometimes just millet and praise. Other times just my bare hand so we can play together. He loves when I swing his toys around and ring the bells.

I took the three pictures attached of him today. The look on his face is because it's the first time I've actually put my phone inside the cage to take pictures.

Beatrix
We have had her for two weeks now. I can't imagine how young she was when we got her since she still looks like such a baby!

He named her after a character in the movie Kill Bill, honesty I haven't seen it so.... But it seems to fit her well. I call her "baby Bea the baby budgie"

She is my husbands bird and they are getting along really well. She will step up for millet, and doesn't show much signs of being hand shy. I can tell she is more comfortable with him then me. She has taken the whole 14 days to realize she is home, suddenly she seems so comfortable in her cage. She loves her toys! Greyjoy didn't play with a single toy for nearly a month, she's already ringing bells any chance she gets.



They haven't met yet, but they have "discovered" each other and will call across the house.
OMG IM SO JEALOUS i had my budgie for 2 weeks and 1 day now and i still can't get her to step up did u get ur budgie from a breeder? i hear breeder budgies (lol) are better to get and more likely to be interested in humans, i got mine from petsmart because i didn't know also i did some searches and don't see any budgie (or dog even) breeders in my are hoping my petsmart budgie™ will be social with me soon cus she is the only budgie i got and i spend all day next to her cage on the computer (8-12 hours a day) and am the only living thing she sees all day and i talk to her nicely and take good care of her and got her a nice cage and everything she needs and put my hand in her cage 5 minutes a day and hand feed her millet.

(also i agree, in the pics they both look like boys, which isn't a bad thing - i was sad when i found out my budgie was a girl but its all good cus in the bird world it doesn't matter if its boy or girl)

Last edited by Devdas; 06-21-2015 at 09:34 AM.
  #8  
Old 06-20-2015, 10:04 PM
FaeryBee's Avatar
FaeryBee (Deborah)
Administrator



State:
 
Profile:FaeryBee is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 7
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Enthusiast
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 53,722
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 2575
Rep Power: 35
FaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Greyjoy is such a handsome little fellow! He looks like such a character.

I agree that in those photos Bea looks like a male and very young at that! S/he is adorable! ;D
__________________

  #9  
Old 06-20-2015, 10:12 PM
Sansas (Charlie)
Hatchling
State:
 
Profile:Sansas is offline
Number of Budgies: 2
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Lover
Join Date: May 2015
Location: WA-State
Posts: 137
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 195
Rep Power: 5
Sansas has a spectacular auraSansas has a spectacular aura
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devdas View Post
OMG IM SO JEALOUS i had my budgie for 2 weeks and 1 day now and i still can't get her to step up did u get ur budgie from a breeder? i hear breeder budgies (lol) are better to get and more likely to be interested in humans, i got mine from petsmart because i didn't know also i did some searches and don't see any budgie (or dog even) breeders in my are hoping my petsmart budgie™ will be social with me soon cus she is the only budgie i got and i spend all day next to her cage on the computer (8-12 hours a day) and am the only living thing she sees all day and i talk to her nicely and take good care of her and got her a nice cage and everything she needs and put my hand in her cage 5 minutes a day and hand feed her millet.

(also i agree, in the pics they both look like boys, which isn't a bad thing - i was sad when i found out my budgie was a girl but its all good cus in the bird world it doesn't matter if its boy or girl
Mine are both random pet store budgies. It takes a lot of time to earn the trust of such a tiny prey animal, don't get discouraged!

One small thing that has seemed to work well for both of our birds, as well as my very enthusiastic husband, is designated a "safe perch". My birds cages are set up so they the highest perch in the back. When they are on that perch we do not approach them at all. If they want millet they have to move down to the lower perch. It's a way of giving them some control of the interaction. My husband loves to feed Bea millet, and she would eat it, but once he started doing it this way it really changed their relationship. They also learn that they can trust you not to chase them. Hope that helps!.

In the long run I think having two boys is better for us. But I am so giggling over here about the possibility.

At one point our home had 5 boys (2 humans, 2 cats and a dog) and 3 girls (1 human (me), and 2 dogs) We lost both the dogs and added a boy human and (apparently), 2 boy birds. So now it's 8 boys (3 humans, 2 cats, 1 dog, and 2 birds) and 1 girl, me.

  #10  
Old 06-20-2015, 11:03 PM
RavensGryf's Avatar
RavensGryf (Julie)
Super Moderator/Member of the Month October 2015

State:
 
Profile:RavensGryf is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 2
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Owner
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Southern California
Posts: 6,718
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 4942
Rep Power: 16
RavensGryf has a reputation beyond reputeRavensGryf has a reputation beyond reputeRavensGryf has a reputation beyond reputeRavensGryf has a reputation beyond reputeRavensGryf has a reputation beyond reputeRavensGryf has a reputation beyond reputeRavensGryf has a reputation beyond reputeRavensGryf has a reputation beyond reputeRavensGryf has a reputation beyond reputeRavensGryf has a reputation beyond reputeRavensGryf has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Exciting update ! Great job with Greyjoy! I'm glad things are going well. I love the pics of both Greyjoy and Beatrix! Very cute. I love GJ's color mutation
__________________
Closed Thread



Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:10 AM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright © 2000- 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2006 - , 2403 Networks LLC. All rights reserved.