Talk Budgies Forums

Talk Budgies Forums (https://www.talkbudgies.com/forum.php)
-   General Budgie Talk (https://www.talkbudgies.com/5-general-budgie-talk/)
-   -   to correctly pronounce pied (https://www.talkbudgies.com/general-budgie-talk/302649-correctly-pronounce-pied.html)

JWKnight 08-02-2015 10:30 AM

212 Attachment(s)
It usually has to do with where a person is from. The pronunciation mostly used is like being pied in the face. However, if you meet someone from the south of the U.S. they may pronounce it differently, and if you meet someone in the East of the U.S. they may pronounce it differently. Then if you meet someone from the UK it may be completely different as well. Just depends on the accent.

But for two syllable pied, I'd think that's a southern thing, they always pull words out to more syllables :) "you all know it to be true."

JWKnight 08-02-2015 10:33 AM

212 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by CuteLittleBirdies (Post 3105337)
I have always pronounced it like "Pie" with a "d" on the end, like pied in the face too :laughing:

I think it might be a po-tato, po-tado thing though from the sound of it :D

The same goes for INO. Some people pronounce it like in-o, with the "in" being pronounced just like you would say ride "in" a car. Others though say een-o for the "I", much like the like the word "seen" without the S.

I have given up trying to figure out what is right in all this mess.... I just say it how I say it, and assume that others will know what I mean the same as as I know what they mean when they say it opposite of how I do :giggle:

Since the INO comes from Albino or Lutino, the only way's I'd say it is I-No ... where I is long. Or Eeno ... since that's the sound it makes in the two words it's subbing for.

aluz 08-02-2015 10:53 AM

I pronounce the word INO as in "Latino", the same goes for lutino, while albino, the "i" is pronounced different in English. In my language it's pronounced all the same, INO, lutino and albino, just the same way you say "Latino". :)

JWKnight 08-02-2015 11:27 AM

212 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by aluz (Post 3105777)
I pronounce the word INO as in "Latino", the same goes for lutino, while albino, the "i" is pronounced different in English. In my language it's pronounced all the same, INO, lutino and albino, just the same way you say "Latino". :)

same with Spanish... i's are always pronounced the same. But English had to go and make things difficult and pronounce them all differently. Like Reed, Read, Read, and Red... depending on usage, Read sounds like red or reed. ... it's dumb, but it's the rules of English.

aluz 08-02-2015 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWKnight (Post 3105801)


same with Spanish... i's are always pronounced the same. But English had to go and make things difficult and pronounce them all differently. Like Reed, Read, Read, and Red... depending on usage, Read sounds like red or reed. ... it's dumb, but it's the rules of English.

Yes, Portuguese and Spanish have many similarities. :)
I love the English language and find the little quirks interesting (love the way the word "porcupine" is pronounced for example :giggle:). It's a very easy language to learn too and in terms of grammar/verbs is quite accessible, much more than my own language or French.
I do like the melody of the French language, but English for me is my number 1. I based all my academic career decisions early on for my love of the language.

JWKnight 08-02-2015 11:51 AM

212 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by aluz (Post 3105857)
Yes, Portuguese and Spanish have many similarities. :)
I love the English language and find the little quirks interesting (love the way the word "porcupine" is pronounced for example :giggle:). It's a very easy language to learn too and in terms of grammar/verbs is quite accessible, much more than my own language or French.
I do like the melody of the French language, but English for me is my number 1. I based all my academic career decisions early on for my love of the language.

I think you're the first person to say you love the English language. At least that I've heard. And that includes everyone who lives here that I know. The English language is the most confusing language in my opinion. But I'm glad there's someone out there who likes it :)

I took some spanish, I know a very few phrases in French, and I took some German. And honestly, they all seem to be much more systematic. More coherent. English tends to have so many rules that the rules don't matter anymore, so make up your own words!

aluz 08-02-2015 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWKnight (Post 3105873)


I think you're the first person to say you love the English language. At least that I've heard. And that includes everyone who lives here that I know. The English language is the most confusing language in my opinion. But I'm glad there's someone out there who likes it :)

I took some spanish, I know a very few phrases in French, and I took some German. And honestly, they all seem to be much more systematic. More coherent. English tends to have so many rules that the rules don't matter anymore, so make up your own words!


I'm sure there are a lot of people out there with the same preference, both English natives and foreigners like me! ;)

If you had gone through more intensive classes of French, German and even Spanish, you'd realize the true complexity of the languages. The rules in English are not overly complicated, at least not to me. :)


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright © 2000- 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2006 - , 2403 Networks LLC. All rights reserved.