Leaving my budgie behind - Talk Budgies Forums


User Menu
Forum Home
Budgie Gallery
Budgie FAQ
Site Guidelines
How-To-Guide
Members List
Today's Posts
Log In
Register now!
Search



Advanced Search
Popular Forums
Announcements

Budgie Articles

Budgie Talk

Budgie Pictures

Budgie Videos

Budgie Behavior

Determining Gender

Your Budgie's Health

Taming and Bonding

Budgie Breeding

In Memory

Other Birds

Contests

Chit Chat

Site Information

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots
Sponsored Ads

Go Back   Talk Budgies Forums > Budgie Talk > General Budgie Talk


Closed Thread
 
Short URL LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 08-13-2015, 06:52 AM
TheBlueCarbuncl's Avatar
TheBlueCarbuncl (Shahad)
Egg
 
Profile:TheBlueCarbuncl is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 1
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Lover
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 24
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 62
Rep Power: 0
TheBlueCarbuncl will become famous soon enough
Default Leaving my budgie behind

Okay so I'm facing one of the most devastating things a bird owner might encounter, and that is: reluctantly leaving your budgie behind.

I'm going to travel to the UK for studying abroad, on the first of September. Before you ask, I did everything I could to make sure my budgie comes with me, but it turned out that my budgie will need to stay for four months in the custody of, I don't know who exactly, just to make sure that he is not sick. Now, that might not sound as a problem but it's a risky decision. In addition, my country might not allow my budgie to go through when I come back.

So that's why I'm leaving my budgie behind with my family. They'll make sure that he goes under his daily routine, they'll sit and talk to him (although I'm not sure they'll do that daily) we almost stay at home all day except for weekends. My sister will also make sure to let him out the same amount of time I do. However, I'm still concerned that they won't take care of him as much as I do, and that they might just get bored after some time. Just thinking of that saddens me so much ;( I wanna take him with me but I can't, you see my dilemma. ;(

I feel so hand tied right now and I honestly don't know what to do but have faith that my family will take good care of him. I'll for sure have some off days and long holidays so I'll come back for him, and I'll make sure to Skype him when I'm there haha :,) it's gonna be a long year, and I'll sure miss him so much.

Okay so at last I wanted to ask if I should get him a budgie companion to keep him accompanied when I'm gone? I'm afraid of getting a male budgie, because I fear they would fight and won't get along. And I don't wanna get a female budgie, because I already had two and both of them didn't stay long. Maybe it's because of the pet store I bought them from. they perhaps didn't take good care of them. I'll try another pet store this time, if I'm thinking of getting another one. Is there anything else I should do before I go? What about a mirror in the cage? My budgie loves mirrors. I have a long mirror attached to my cabinet, and so whenever I take him out he tries everything to reach it. He has three toys, a cuttlefish bone (although he still won't go near it, I'm working on that), a mineral block (he used to eat from it but now stopped, I don't know why), and tree branches in his cage. Should I add anything else?

Thank you so much and sorry for this long thread.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 08-13-2015, 06:57 AM
Jonah's Avatar
Jonah (Randy)
Servant of The King


State:
 
Profile:Jonah is offline
Gender:
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Owner
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 11,972
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 16454
Rep Power: 43
Jonah has a reputation beyond reputeJonah has a reputation beyond reputeJonah has a reputation beyond reputeJonah has a reputation beyond reputeJonah has a reputation beyond reputeJonah has a reputation beyond reputeJonah has a reputation beyond reputeJonah has a reputation beyond reputeJonah has a reputation beyond reputeJonah has a reputation beyond reputeJonah has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Sorry you have to be separated from your little pal. I'm sure leaving him with family that can care for him is your best option. I think getting him a male friend would be great, don't forget about quarantine...
__________________

He came down from Heaven unto this earth below
He came down from glory and praises untold
He came down to man fashioned in their way
He came down to rescue, He came down to save
  #3  
Old 08-13-2015, 07:09 AM
aluz's Avatar
Exceptional Service Award Recipient
State:
 
Profile:aluz is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 7
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Enthusiast
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Portugal
Posts: 21,788
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 19619
Rep Power: 56
aluz has a reputation beyond reputealuz has a reputation beyond reputealuz has a reputation beyond reputealuz has a reputation beyond reputealuz has a reputation beyond reputealuz has a reputation beyond reputealuz has a reputation beyond reputealuz has a reputation beyond reputealuz has a reputation beyond reputealuz has a reputation beyond reputealuz has a reputation beyond repute
Default

I can relate to how you feel, but given the circumstances, letting your budgie to stay with your family is the most sensible option.
While I didn't go abroad for University, I did have to leave my home town to carry on with my studies. And at the time I have left my budgie under my parents care. I had full confidence in them and knew they would do a good job in tending to my budgie's needs and so they did for the 4 years I was away.
I would go back to visit my parents on most weekends and also during vacations and took advantage of that time to also be with my budgie.

Adding a new friend for your budgie would depend on the amount of time your family will give to him when it comes to close interaction.
Male budgies generally get along very well, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I am strict when it comes to mirrors or mirrored toys and don't allow those to be around any of my birds. And for a single budgie there is the chance the budgie will develop an obsession over it and shut down completely when it comes to interacting with us, because he just wants to be by the "other budgie's" side.
__________________


RIP sweet Tito (Summer 2008 - January 17th 2013).
You are missed and never will be forgotten.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 08-13-2015, 08:18 AM
Pretty boy's Avatar
Pretty boy (Cathy)
Veteran Budgie
State:
 
Profile:Pretty boy is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 4
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Lover
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Karridale, west australia
Posts: 12,513
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 8700
Rep Power: 29
Pretty boy has a reputation beyond reputePretty boy has a reputation beyond reputePretty boy has a reputation beyond reputePretty boy has a reputation beyond reputePretty boy has a reputation beyond reputePretty boy has a reputation beyond reputePretty boy has a reputation beyond reputePretty boy has a reputation beyond reputePretty boy has a reputation beyond reputePretty boy has a reputation beyond reputePretty boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default

I can certainly see why you are feeling the way you do, but I do think being in the home he is used to being in is a huge plus and he does know your family.
The cuttle bone and mineral block are usually only used when your bird needs the nutrition they provide, so don't take them out .
if you are going ahead and getting him a companion budgie definitely a male is the better choice, if you get a hen you could end up with eggs, babies and other problems two boys are most definitely the way to go.
Does he have a swing, bells, things he can pick up and throw are good as well. the year will go fast I am sure.
__________________
  #5  
Old 08-13-2015, 09:27 AM
FaeryBee's Avatar
FaeryBee (Deborah)
Administrator



State:
 
Profile:FaeryBee is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 7
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Enthusiast
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 53,842
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 2605
Rep Power: 35
FaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond repute
Default

If you have confidence your family will spend time with him then I think things will work out just fine.
You might think about getting (or making) a few more toys for him that can be rotated in/out of the cage periodically. This will help to keep him stimulated and keep him from getting too bored with the toys he currently has.

I would discuss the idea of getting him a budgie friend with your family before making that decision. While they may not mind taking care of one budgie and interacting with him, they may not be as receptive to the idea of adding another soon before you depart.
__________________

  #6  
Old 08-14-2015, 02:36 AM
StarlingWings's Avatar
Super Moderator // MEMBER OF THE YEAR 2015


 
Profile:StarlingWings is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 1
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Lover
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 17,583
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 12055
Rep Power: 38
StarlingWings has a reputation beyond reputeStarlingWings has a reputation beyond reputeStarlingWings has a reputation beyond reputeStarlingWings has a reputation beyond reputeStarlingWings has a reputation beyond reputeStarlingWings has a reputation beyond reputeStarlingWings has a reputation beyond reputeStarlingWings has a reputation beyond reputeStarlingWings has a reputation beyond reputeStarlingWings has a reputation beyond reputeStarlingWings has a reputation beyond repute
Default

I agree with all the advice given I'm sure he'll be just fine--it's good for him to be with people he knows, and besides, you know if you're concerned you can talk to your family.

Hope everything goes well! I'm sure you will miss each other very much but a year will go quickly
__________________

~StarlingWings~
and Princess Mallorn!
Thank you to Deb for her wonderful Faery magic
  #7  
Old 08-14-2015, 10:55 AM
TheBlueCarbuncl's Avatar
TheBlueCarbuncl (Shahad)
Egg
 
Profile:TheBlueCarbuncl is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 1
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Lover
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 24
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 62
Rep Power: 0
TheBlueCarbuncl will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah View Post
Sorry you have to be separated from your little pal. I'm sure leaving him with family that can care for him is your best option. I think getting him a male friend would be great, don't forget about quarantine...
Thank you so much. After thinking more into this matter, I figured out that him being with my family is indeed the best decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aluz View Post
I can relate to how you feel, but given the circumstances, letting your budgie to stay with your family is the most sensible option.
While I didn't go abroad for University, I did have to leave my home town to carry on with my studies. And at the time I have left my budgie under my parents care. I had full confidence in them and knew they would do a good job in tending to my budgie's needs and so they did for the 4 years I was away.
I would go back to visit my parents on most weekends and also during vacations and took advantage of that time to also be with my budgie.

Adding a new friend for your budgie would depend on the amount of time your family will give to him when it comes to close interaction.
Male budgies generally get along very well, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I am strict when it comes to mirrors or mirrored toys and don't allow those to be around any of my birds. And for a single budgie there is the chance the budgie will develop an obsession over it and shut down completely when it comes to interacting with us, because he just wants to be by the "other budgie's" side.
I'm quite hesitant about bringing a new male budgie because my family might not be able to handle an untamed budgie. And thank you for giving me your opinion about mirrors!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty boy View Post
I can certainly see why you are feeling the way you do, but I do think being in the home he is used to being in is a huge plus and he does know your family.
The cuttle bone and mineral block are usually only used when your bird needs the nutrition they provide, so don't take them out .
if you are going ahead and getting him a companion budgie definitely a male is the better choice, if you get a hen you could end up with eggs, babies and other problems two boys are most definitely the way to go.
Does he have a swing, bells, things he can pick up and throw are good as well. the year will go fast I am sure.
thank you very much. I will not take the cuttle bone nor the mineral block out
he has two swings, and one bell attached to a toy but I'll get him more. He doesn't have toys that he can pick up so I'll buy him some!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaeryBee View Post
If you have confidence your family will spend time with him then I think things will work out just fine.
You might think about getting (or making) a few more toys for him that can be rotated in/out of the cage periodically. This will help to keep him stimulated and keep him from getting too bored with the toys he currently has.

I would discuss the idea of getting him a budgie friend with your family before making that decision. While they may not mind taking care of one budgie and interacting with him, they may not be as receptive to the idea of adding another soon before you depart.
Can you show me pictures of some toys that can be rotated In/out of the cage? Just examples, because I didn't quite understand ;P
And yeah I think bringing a new untamed budgie would be difficult for my family to handle, so I might rule that out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlingWings View Post
I agree with all the advice given I'm sure he'll be just fine--it's good for him to be with people he knows, and besides, you know if you're concerned you can talk to your family.

Hope everything goes well! I'm sure you will miss each other very much but a year will go quickly
Thank you so much!
Closed Thread



Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:01 AM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright © 2000- 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2006 - , 2403 Networks LLC. All rights reserved.