Some Questions about my funny birds :3 - Talk Budgies Forums


User Menu
Forum Home
Budgie Gallery
Budgie FAQ
Site Guidelines
How-To-Guide
Members List
Today's Posts
Log In
Register now!
Search



Advanced Search
Popular Forums
Announcements

Budgie Articles

Budgie Talk

Budgie Pictures

Budgie Videos

Budgie Behavior

Determining Gender

Your Budgie's Health

Taming and Bonding

Budgie Breeding

In Memory

Other Birds

Contests

Chit Chat

Site Information

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots
Sponsored Ads

Go Back   Talk Budgies Forums > Budgie Talk > General Budgie Talk


Closed Thread
 
Short URL LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 10-26-2015, 02:49 PM
karkarkar's Avatar
karkarkar (Karina)
Baby Budgie
 
Profile:karkarkar is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 2
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Newbie
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 363
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 54
Rep Power: 6
karkarkar will become famous soon enough
Talking Some Questions about my funny birds :3

Hi !
may I just say how I love this forum hehe it's nice to know a place where more pople LOVE budgies like I do..
so okay the questions : ~

1. my budgie boy is funny. I've had them since July 2014 and we made a progress with the ~bonding~ BUT he is still afraid of me.
I mean .. he eats from my hand (!) , perch on my finger / hand, and even kiss me sometimes xD , but he always run away from me when I put my hand in the cage.. like RUN FOR YOUR LIFE kind of avoiding... it's funny but kind weird.. such a weird pesonality of what?

2. my hen seems to be "in condition" for a year now O-o
I can't remember the last time she had bluish nose.. is that possible?
I think that's why she bites me so hard.. but she's not like the boy .. we have a love -hate relationship (because of the biting.. /
also she laid only one egg her entire life - it was on 26.2.2015 ..
is that normal? I don't want her to lay anymore eggs but just wondering..

thanks for who ansers, and have a nice evening !

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 10-26-2015, 03:00 PM
FaeryBee's Avatar
FaeryBee (Deborah)
Administrator



State:
 
Profile:FaeryBee is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 7
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Enthusiast
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 53,726
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 2575
Rep Power: 35
FaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond repute
Default

1. Your male budgie runs from you when you put your hand in his cage because to him it is his "safe" place and he views your hand as an "intruder". Many budgies prefer to interact only outside their cage and to have their space respected when they are inside.

2. Yes, some female budgies stay in condition for quite a long time. You can try rearranging her cage, limiting her daylight hours to no more than 8 and limiting the protein (eggs/legumes/beans) in her diet to see if that brings her out of condition.

Unless a female bird has been on a conditioning diet and is deliberately being bred, it's best that she not lay eggs as that depletes the budgie's calcium levels which can be hard on their body.
__________________

  #3  
Old 10-26-2015, 03:15 PM
aluz's Avatar
Exceptional Service Award Recipient
State:
 
Profile:aluz is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 7
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Enthusiast
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Portugal
Posts: 21,788
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 19619
Rep Power: 56
aluz has a reputation beyond reputealuz has a reputation beyond reputealuz has a reputation beyond reputealuz has a reputation beyond reputealuz has a reputation beyond reputealuz has a reputation beyond reputealuz has a reputation beyond reputealuz has a reputation beyond reputealuz has a reputation beyond reputealuz has a reputation beyond reputealuz has a reputation beyond repute
Default

It really is great to have fun with our budgies and get to know all of their quirks that makes them unique!

While it's not the norm, females can sometimes lay just the one odd egg even when we are taking measures to keep them from laying.
This can happen just as they first come into condition.

Personally, I never had a female budgie to do this but I do have a blue masked lovebird that lays the one odd egg at times. I have been keeping track of her cycle and this year she laid two eggs. One on Easter day and the second one on the beginning of October. Even though in her case I can't look at the cere for clues, I've come to the conclusion these events are linked to her coming into condition and this is just the way her body reacts to coming into condition and this is not considered a chronic egg laying case.
__________________


RIP sweet Tito (Summer 2008 - January 17th 2013).
You are missed and never will be forgotten.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 10-26-2015, 03:31 PM
karkarkar's Avatar
karkarkar (Karina)
Baby Budgie
 
Profile:karkarkar is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 2
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Newbie
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 363
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 54
Rep Power: 6
karkarkar will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaeryBee View Post
1. Your male budgie runs from you when you put your hand in his cage because to him it is his "safe" place and he views your hand as an "intruder". Many budgies prefer to interact only outside their cage and to have their space respected when they are inside.

2. Yes, some female budgies stay in condition for quite a long time. You can try rearranging her cage, limiting her daylight hours to no more than 8 and limiting the protein (eggs/legumes/beans) in her diet to see if that brings her out of condition.

Unless a female bird has been on a conditioning diet and is deliberately being bred, it's best that she not lay eggs as that depletes the budgie's calcium levels which can be hard on their body.
Aha ! makes sense now so I'll respect his wish and play with him only outside !
I see, I will try about the girl, thanks !

Quote:
Originally Posted by aluz View Post
It really is great to have fun with our budgies and get to know all of their quirks that makes them unique!

While it's not the norm, females can sometimes lay just the one odd egg even when we are taking measures to keep them from laying.
This can happen just as they first come into condition.

Personally, I never had a female budgie to do this but I do have a blue masked lovebird that lays the one odd egg at times. I have been keeping track of her cycle and this year she laid two eggs. One on Easter day and the second one on the beginning of October. Even though in her case I can't look at the cere for clues, I've come to the conclusion these events are linked to her coming into condition and this is just the way her body reacts to coming into condition and this is not considered a chronic egg laying case.
interesting
my budgies .. I kinda saw them mating a lot of times.. i'm sure they do that when i'm not home too, but still only one egg ..
I don't want anymore thanks xD I just want her out of that condition so she won't bite me arrh !
  #5  
Old 10-26-2015, 03:52 PM
MineOfBudgies's Avatar
Hatchling
 
Profile:MineOfBudgies is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 1
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Owner
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 179
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 196
Rep Power: 5
MineOfBudgies has a spectacular auraMineOfBudgies has a spectacular aura
Default

If you have seen them mating, the eggs are sure to be fertilized.
I would recommend checking out the stickies and posts in the Breeding section of the forum to avoid any problems.
__________________

Thank you Deb for the wonderful photo!
  #6  
Old 10-26-2015, 04:28 PM
FaeryBee's Avatar
FaeryBee (Deborah)
Administrator



State:
 
Profile:FaeryBee is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 7
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Enthusiast
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 53,726
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 2575
Rep Power: 35
FaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineOfBudgies View Post
If you have seen them mating, the eggs are sure to be fertilized.
I would recommend checking out the stickies and posts in the Breeding section of the forum to avoid any problems.
The budgie only laid one egg so there hasn't been any problems thus far.
It's much more likely it was as aluz indicated in her post below which reads:
"While it's not the norm, females can sometimes lay just the one odd egg even when we are taking measures to keep them from laying.
This can happen just as they first come into condition."
Fertilized does not mean there is life in an egg. Life is only formed in the egg after a few days of full incubation.

Throwing the budgies out of condition and discouraging breeding is usually all that is necessary to prevent additional laying even if they happen to mate.

When We Don't Want Eggs! - Talk Budgies Forums
__________________


Last edited by FaeryBee; 10-26-2015 at 04:35 PM.
Closed Thread



Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:51 PM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright © 2000- 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2006 - , 2403 Networks LLC. All rights reserved.