Questions about a flock of three - Talk Budgies Forums


User Menu
Forum Home
Budgie Gallery
Budgie FAQ
Site Guidelines
How-To-Guide
Members List
Today's Posts
Log In
Register now!
Search



Advanced Search
Popular Forums
Announcements

Budgie Articles

Budgie Talk

Budgie Pictures

Budgie Videos

Budgie Behavior

Determining Gender

Your Budgie's Health

Taming and Bonding

Budgie Breeding

In Memory

Other Birds

Contests

Chit Chat

Site Information

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots
Sponsored Ads

Go Back   Talk Budgies Forums > Budgie Talk > General Budgie Talk


Closed Thread
 
Short URL LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 10-30-2015, 03:46 AM
RavensGryf's Avatar
RavensGryf (Julie)
Super Moderator/Member of the Month October 2015

State:
 
Profile:RavensGryf is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 2
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Owner
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Southern California
Posts: 6,759
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 4961
Rep Power: 16
RavensGryf has a reputation beyond reputeRavensGryf has a reputation beyond reputeRavensGryf has a reputation beyond reputeRavensGryf has a reputation beyond reputeRavensGryf has a reputation beyond reputeRavensGryf has a reputation beyond reputeRavensGryf has a reputation beyond reputeRavensGryf has a reputation beyond reputeRavensGryf has a reputation beyond reputeRavensGryf has a reputation beyond reputeRavensGryf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Questions about a flock of three

I understand the idea behind why people say to have an even number of budgies in a cage, but I know some people who keep 3 in a cage successfully, as well as people here do on TB.

I know a lot of it depends on the individual personalities, so I realize no one can tell me 'for sure', but I'd like to get some insight into what 'might' have a better chance of working out in a trio, as far as male or female.

Twigs is male, and Mink is female, but they aren't a bonded pair. They are friends, but they never sit side by side. In this case, what is your best guess as to what gender would be best? Or do you think it truly matters more on the individuals than gender? I'm just wondering if there is more likely to be fights based on having 2 of them being the males or females.

For those of you who house 3 budgies together of mixed genders - are they 2 males and 1 female? Or 2 females and 1 male?

__________________
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 10-30-2015, 04:42 AM
Therm's Avatar
Member of the Month January 2016

State:
 
Profile:Therm is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 17
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Lover
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Lincs
Posts: 4,995
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 4382
Rep Power: 14
Therm has a reputation beyond reputeTherm has a reputation beyond reputeTherm has a reputation beyond reputeTherm has a reputation beyond reputeTherm has a reputation beyond reputeTherm has a reputation beyond reputeTherm has a reputation beyond reputeTherm has a reputation beyond reputeTherm has a reputation beyond reputeTherm has a reputation beyond reputeTherm has a reputation beyond repute
Default

I have just started the experiment with two males and one female (Jimmy, Skye, Sunny).

They are doing okay. Jimmy and Skye do have some little disagreements but there's no actual cause for concern. I'm hoping as they get more used to one another they will settle down better but it's not a disaster right now.
__________________
  #3  
Old 10-30-2015, 05:43 AM
aluz's Avatar
Exceptional Service Award Recipient
State:
 
Profile:aluz is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 7
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Enthusiast
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Portugal
Posts: 21,788
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 19619
Rep Power: 56
aluz has a reputation beyond reputealuz has a reputation beyond reputealuz has a reputation beyond reputealuz has a reputation beyond reputealuz has a reputation beyond reputealuz has a reputation beyond reputealuz has a reputation beyond reputealuz has a reputation beyond reputealuz has a reputation beyond reputealuz has a reputation beyond reputealuz has a reputation beyond repute
Default

When it comes to a mix-gendered flock sharing a cage there is always the potential for fights to happen.
While their tempers can be somewhat toned-down and under control when they are young, as soon as they reach maturity and the female(s) first reach breeding condition, this is when the troubles will intensify and vicious fighting can happen.

Not only can a female get more moody, but their breeding condition will also trigger the males attention because their female friend is now so much appealing, these changes are part of the instinctual behaviour on both parts (male/female).
In a situation where there are 2 males and one female, the males can fight each other to win the female's affection. There is also another possible scenario where the coupled male and female will turn against the extra male. The same problems can arise when housing 2 females and 1 male, or a larger number of budgies.
Problems can even still arise when housing an even ratio of males/females on a large cage.

This is why I have been using this system for many years, I house two budgies per cage in order to avoid the build up of potentially stressful situations and the intensification of bickerings that can lead to vicious fighting and the rupture in the flock's harmony.

My flock of 8 budgies are housed in 4 different cages and they are all close by, so they are still able to see and communicate amongst themselves.
Each pair is bonded to their mate and when I let them out of the cage for play time, they all get along very well and while all 8 are friends, it's great to see the loyal bond they all have with their respective cagemates.
__________________


RIP sweet Tito (Summer 2008 - January 17th 2013).
You are missed and never will be forgotten.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 10-30-2015, 10:19 AM
FaeryBee's Avatar
FaeryBee (Deborah)
Administrator



State:
 
Profile:FaeryBee is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 7
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Enthusiast
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 53,825
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 2594
Rep Power: 35
FaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond repute
Default

I have three males now that are currently sharing cage space. However, there are still times when one isn't included in whatever is going on between the other two. (Which one is the third-wheel varies at any given time.)

Personally, I wouldn't risk housing two of one gender and one of the opposite gender together for the very reasons that aluz has explained.

I just wouldn't be willing to take the chance because even though they seemed to be getting along things could quickly chance and one would be badly hurt.
__________________

  #5  
Old 10-30-2015, 10:34 AM
mexicoandice's Avatar
mexicoandice (Tia)
Young Budgie
State:
 
Profile:mexicoandice is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 2
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Lover
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 606
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 270
Rep Power: 5
mexicoandice is a jewel in the roughmexicoandice is a jewel in the roughmexicoandice is a jewel in the rough
Default

I agree, I don't know if getting another budgie is a great idea. Either gender could cause problems as Aluz mentioned.
  #6  
Old 10-30-2015, 12:34 PM
NewMoonParrot's Avatar
NewMoonParrot (Tiana)
Newbie
 
Profile:NewMoonParrot is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 2
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Owner
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: BC
Posts: 5
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 10
Rep Power: 0
NewMoonParrot is on a distinguished road
Default

For about 3 weeks I had a flight cage with 3 budgies and 1 cockatiel and it worked. Altin the new resident got left out a bit but he was ok. There will always be bickering but that is normal. Now I just have my 2 budgies and cockatiel in the cage as Altin passed away. You can always house the new one in a separate room to so you can bond with it. That's what I am doing in December.
  #7  
Old 10-30-2015, 08:59 PM
RavensGryf's Avatar
RavensGryf (Julie)
Super Moderator/Member of the Month October 2015

State:
 
Profile:RavensGryf is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 2
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Owner
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Southern California
Posts: 6,759
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 4961
Rep Power: 16
RavensGryf has a reputation beyond reputeRavensGryf has a reputation beyond reputeRavensGryf has a reputation beyond reputeRavensGryf has a reputation beyond reputeRavensGryf has a reputation beyond reputeRavensGryf has a reputation beyond reputeRavensGryf has a reputation beyond reputeRavensGryf has a reputation beyond reputeRavensGryf has a reputation beyond reputeRavensGryf has a reputation beyond reputeRavensGryf has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therm View Post
I have just started the experiment with two males and one female (Jimmy, Skye, Sunny).

They are doing okay. Jimmy and Skye do have some little disagreements but there's no actual cause for concern. I'm hoping as they get more used to one another they will settle down better but it's not a disaster right now.
It will be interesting to see how the experiment goes, especially when they are all mature . I'm glad it's (as you say) not a disaster right now lol. Crossing fingers for you that you end up having an exceptionally agreeable group in the future!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aluz View Post
When it comes to a mix-gendered flock sharing a cage there is always the potential for fights to happen.
While their tempers can be somewhat toned-down and under control when they are young, as soon as they reach maturity and the female(s) first reach breeding condition, this is when the troubles will intensify and vicious fighting can happen.

Not only can a female get more moody, but their breeding condition will also trigger the males attention because their female friend is now so much appealing, these changes are part of the instinctual behaviour on both parts (male/female).
In a situation where there are 2 males and one female, the males can fight each other to win the female's affection. There is also another possible scenario where the coupled male and female will turn against the extra male. The same problems can arise when housing 2 females and 1 male, or a larger number of budgies.
Problems can even still arise when housing an even ratio of males/females on a large cage.

This is why I have been using this system for many years, I house two budgies per cage in order to avoid the build up of potentially stressful situations and the intensification of bickerings that can lead to vicious fighting and the rupture in the flock's harmony.

My flock of 8 budgies are housed in 4 different cages and they are all close by, so they are still able to see and communicate amongst themselves.
Each pair is bonded to their mate and when I let them out of the cage for play time, they all get along very well and while all 8 are friends, it's great to see the loyal bond they all have with their respective cagemates.
Thank you Ana, your extensive experience with the interactions and behavior of multiple budgies is invaluable! I will definitely keep this advice in mind. I have to take into consideration that the behaviors can change drastically when there are mature birds together. Right now Mink is still a juvenile. I have the double flight, but I'd hate to have to use the divider. I will do that if I get another, but that's a differerent topic .

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaeryBee View Post
I have three males now that are currently sharing cage space. However, there are still times when one isn't included in whatever is going on between the other two. (Which one is the third-wheel varies at any given time.)

Personally, I wouldn't risk housing two of one gender and one of the opposite gender together for the very reasons that aluz has explained.

I just wouldn't be willing to take the chance because even though they seemed to be getting along things could quickly chance and one would be badly hurt.
After the advice given, I don't think I'll be risking it. Sure, I know a lady who has 2 mature females and 1 mature male in a flight cage, but one of the hens is always very submissive so it works out, but even then she gets left out as the third wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicoandice View Post
I agree, I don't know if getting another budgie is a great idea. Either gender could cause problems as Aluz mentioned.
My husband would LOVE you for saying that!! He'd thank you haha. I won't be putting them into the same cage without the divider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMoonParrot View Post
For about 3 weeks I had a flight cage with 3 budgies and 1 cockatiel and it worked. Altin the new resident got left out a bit but he was ok. There will always be bickering but that is normal. Now I just have my 2 budgies and cockatiel in the cage as Altin passed away. You can always house the new one in a separate room to so you can bond with it. That's what I am doing in December.
Separate room? No more rooms left lol, I already have 3 parrots who are a handful, and with their big cages and play equipment. That's why my husband would like to see me NOT get another bird. I tell him I already have the cage, they're small, you won't even know it's there, etc...
__________________
  #8  
Old 10-31-2015, 09:24 AM
JWKnight (J.W.)
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
State:
 
Profile:JWKnight is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 28
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Wichita Kansas
Posts: 2,335
Gallery: 7
Karma:
Points: 1617
Rep Power: 9
JWKnight has a brilliant futureJWKnight has a brilliant futureJWKnight has a brilliant futureJWKnight has a brilliant futureJWKnight has a brilliant futureJWKnight has a brilliant futureJWKnight has a brilliant futureJWKnight has a brilliant futureJWKnight has a brilliant futureJWKnight has a brilliant futureJWKnight has a brilliant future
Default

In my experience, male heavy has no problems. female heavy causes fights.
  #9  
Old 10-31-2015, 10:09 AM
FaeryBee's Avatar
FaeryBee (Deborah)
Administrator



State:
 
Profile:FaeryBee is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 7
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Enthusiast
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 53,825
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 2594
Rep Power: 35
FaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavensGryf View Post
After the advice given, I don't think I'll be risking it.
Julie,

I'm really glad you've made that decision.

To me, that risk is not worth the well-being of one's budgies!!
__________________

  #10  
Old 10-31-2015, 10:25 AM
Therm's Avatar
Member of the Month January 2016

State:
 
Profile:Therm is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 17
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Lover
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Lincs
Posts: 4,995
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 4382
Rep Power: 14
Therm has a reputation beyond reputeTherm has a reputation beyond reputeTherm has a reputation beyond reputeTherm has a reputation beyond reputeTherm has a reputation beyond reputeTherm has a reputation beyond reputeTherm has a reputation beyond reputeTherm has a reputation beyond reputeTherm has a reputation beyond reputeTherm has a reputation beyond reputeTherm has a reputation beyond repute
Default

I think you're making a good choice. I'm very certain my three won't be staying together as a long term solution.
__________________
Closed Thread



Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:41 AM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright © 2000- 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2006 - , 2403 Networks LLC. All rights reserved.