outdoor Aviary floor - Talk Budgies Forums


User Menu
Forum Home
Budgie Gallery
Budgie FAQ
Site Guidelines
How-To-Guide
Members List
Today's Posts
Log In
Register now!
Search



Advanced Search
Popular Forums
Announcements

Budgie Articles

Budgie Talk

Budgie Pictures

Budgie Videos

Budgie Behavior

Determining Gender

Your Budgie's Health

Taming and Bonding

Budgie Breeding

In Memory

Other Birds

Contests

Chit Chat

Site Information

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots
Sponsored Ads

Go Back   Talk Budgies Forums > Budgie Talk > General Budgie Talk


Closed Thread
 
Short URL LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 11-06-2015, 07:49 PM
Craftsman (Rick)
Egg
 
Profile:Craftsman is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 38
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Owner
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Jacksonville Florida USA
Posts: 16
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 11
Rep Power: 0
Craftsman is on a distinguished road
Default outdoor Aviary floor

Hi everyone, does anyone out there know what the best product or grass or dirt to use on the ground of an out door aviary? Also what would be the best way to keep it clean or clean it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 11-07-2015, 12:51 AM
Kate C's Avatar
Member of the Month October 2008
State:
 
Profile:Kate C is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 100'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Outer suburbs of Sydney
Posts: 6,826
Gallery: 3
Karma:
Points: 5073
Rep Power: 24
Kate C has a reputation beyond reputeKate C has a reputation beyond reputeKate C has a reputation beyond reputeKate C has a reputation beyond reputeKate C has a reputation beyond reputeKate C has a reputation beyond reputeKate C has a reputation beyond reputeKate C has a reputation beyond reputeKate C has a reputation beyond reputeKate C has a reputation beyond reputeKate C has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Neither grass nor dirt are particularly good for an outdoor aviary. The grass would not last very long and the only real way to do any sterilizing is to sprinkle lime over the ground. To do that you need to remove the birds. You are best to use concrete for the aviary floor. Much easier to keep clean and sterilize if you need to.
  #3  
Old 11-08-2015, 01:51 AM
Azooka's Avatar
Egg
State:
 
Profile:Azooka is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 11
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Enthusiast
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Brisvegas
Posts: 45
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 13
Rep Power: 4
Azooka is on a distinguished road
Default

We plotted and filled in a concrete platform so that it was also a little above ground level so water couldn't soak in. With the concrete platform we have also put in bark chips over the top as we have a breeding pair who have an elevated nest box so when the babies are learning to fly and they fall out they don't smack into hard concrete and break bones
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 11-08-2015, 03:09 AM
Impeckable's Avatar
Impeckable (Pete)
Member of the Month Sept 2014
State:
 
Profile:Impeckable is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 1
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Lover
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Doncaster
Posts: 1,298
Gallery: 2
Karma:
Points: 2233
Rep Power: 11
Impeckable has a reputation beyond reputeImpeckable has a reputation beyond reputeImpeckable has a reputation beyond reputeImpeckable has a reputation beyond reputeImpeckable has a reputation beyond reputeImpeckable has a reputation beyond reputeImpeckable has a reputation beyond reputeImpeckable has a reputation beyond reputeImpeckable has a reputation beyond reputeImpeckable has a reputation beyond reputeImpeckable has a reputation beyond repute
Default

I agree that concrete is the best option, however when I had my aviary I was living in a rented house, it took me ages to get my landlady to let me have an aviary in the garden, she finally agreed but stated that it couldn't be a permanent structure.
So I built my aviary as a large freestanding unit with a thick wooden floor, the floor actually started off as 4 very large wooden pallets with wire mesh over them, I then screwed marine plywood sheets over the top and then bolted the sides, door frame etc to the base, I then cut lino flooring to fit, when finished and in use I had wood shavings on the floor aswell as the lino, this made the aviary floor very easy to clean by using a wet and dry vacuum cleaner to suck up the soiled wood shavings then obviously clean and sterilise the lino flooring.
Yes concrete is by far the best option but in my situation I couldn't have a concrete floor, so I had to find another way, and to be honest it worked great.
Pete
  #5  
Old 11-08-2015, 07:52 AM
Kate C's Avatar
Member of the Month October 2008
State:
 
Profile:Kate C is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 100'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Outer suburbs of Sydney
Posts: 6,826
Gallery: 3
Karma:
Points: 5073
Rep Power: 24
Kate C has a reputation beyond reputeKate C has a reputation beyond reputeKate C has a reputation beyond reputeKate C has a reputation beyond reputeKate C has a reputation beyond reputeKate C has a reputation beyond reputeKate C has a reputation beyond reputeKate C has a reputation beyond reputeKate C has a reputation beyond reputeKate C has a reputation beyond reputeKate C has a reputation beyond repute
Default

That is one option Pete. Another is the way I have it for my Lorikeets who have very runny poop as they are pollen and nectar feeders, but is also ideal if the person is renting and cannot put up a permanent structure. That is to build suspended aviaries. My lorikeets suspended aviaries are 4ft long and 2ft square which a shelf built into the back for the nest box to be outside the cage. You actually get the bird wire and measure and mark 2ft plus 2ft plus 2ft plus 2ft and then just cut once. The wire is then bent at each 2ft mark to make a box and only has one join which is done wire to wire with what we call American J clips and the special pliers. You basically put a clip every five wire spacings. You then cut 2 x 2ft pieces for the ends and put those in place. There are brackets that you can buy that just slip over the wire to put perches in. I make my doors by cutting a hole in either the side or end and then cutting bird wire slightly larger than the opening it is then attached to the hole at the top with the J clips so that the door drops down and a special spring hook is used to secure the door at the bottom which the birds cannot open. You can then build a stand using tube steel and for ease there are plastic fittings that can be used to put it together. So you have 4 uprights that go into the ground to a sensible height and 2 lenghts that go on top of the uprights with 2 smaller end lenghts for strength. The suspended can then be put on the stand and secured either with wire or cable ties. All food water and droppings go straight through the wire floor of the cages so there is basically no cleaning required. Have the stand high enough that you can use a lawn mower to mow any grass under the cages. I have one pair of lorikeets per cage. Because there is no steel or wooden framework the cages are very light and if you need to move you don't even have to catch the birds, they can be moved inside their own cages. One person can carry a 4ft x 2ft cage with ease. These suspended cages can be made into bigger cages if necessary but I find that size is perfect for the lorikeets. For cover I use corrugated plastic (the type that they use for real estate agent for sale signs here) and attach that on the top back half of the cage where the birds food and water is. That way they are can get out of the weather if they wish or if they want they can go out to the open part for a shower when it rains. The nest box is also under the cover of the plastic sheets. It is also much cheaper than putting down a concrete slab.

Many of the bigger breeders over here use them in various designs but with more permanent fixtures at the back. When you have lots of birds it really saves on the cleaning chores.

Hope you can understand my description.
  #6  
Old 11-08-2015, 08:13 AM
Impeckable's Avatar
Impeckable (Pete)
Member of the Month Sept 2014
State:
 
Profile:Impeckable is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 1
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Lover
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Doncaster
Posts: 1,298
Gallery: 2
Karma:
Points: 2233
Rep Power: 11
Impeckable has a reputation beyond reputeImpeckable has a reputation beyond reputeImpeckable has a reputation beyond reputeImpeckable has a reputation beyond reputeImpeckable has a reputation beyond reputeImpeckable has a reputation beyond reputeImpeckable has a reputation beyond reputeImpeckable has a reputation beyond reputeImpeckable has a reputation beyond reputeImpeckable has a reputation beyond reputeImpeckable has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate C View Post
That is one option Pete. Another is the way I have it for my Lorikeets who have very runny poop as they are pollen and nectar feeders, but is also ideal if the person is renting and cannot put up a permanent structure. That is to build suspended aviaries. My lorikeets suspended aviaries are 4ft long and 2ft square which a shelf built into the back for the nest box to be outside the cage. You actually get the bird wire and measure and mark 2ft plus 2ft plus 2ft plus 2ft and then just cut once. The wire is then bent at each 2ft mark to make a box and only has one join which is done wire to wire with what we call American J clips and the special pliers. You basically put a clip every five wire spacings. You then cut 2 x 2ft pieces for the ends and put those in place. There are brackets that you can buy that just slip over the wire to put perches in. I make my doors by cutting a hole in either the side or end and then cutting bird wire slightly larger than the opening it is then attached to the hole at the top with the J clips so that the door drops down and a special spring hook is used to secure the door at the bottom which the birds cannot open. You can then build a stand using tube steel and for ease there are plastic fittings that can be used to put it together. So you have 4 uprights that go into the ground to a sensible height and 2 lenghts that go on top of the uprights with 2 smaller end lenghts for strength. The suspended can then be put on the stand and secured either with wire or cable ties. All food water and droppings go straight through the wire floor of the cages so there is basically no cleaning required. Have the stand high enough that you can use a lawn mower to mow any grass under the cages. I have one pair of lorikeets per cage. Because there is no steel or wooden framework the cages are very light and if you need to move you don't even have to catch the birds, they can be moved inside their own cages. One person can carry a 4ft x 2ft cage with ease. These suspended cages can be made into bigger cages if necessary but I find that size is perfect for the lorikeets. For cover I use corrugated plastic (the type that they use for real estate agent for sale signs here) and attach that on the top back half of the cage where the birds food and water is. That way they are can get out of the weather if they wish or if they want they can go out to the open part for a shower when it rains. The nest box is also under the cover of the plastic sheets. It is also much cheaper than putting down a concrete slab.

Many of the bigger breeders over here use them in various designs but with more permanent fixtures at the back. When you have lots of birds it really saves on the cleaning chores.

Hope you can understand my description.
Thank you for this Kate and thanks for going into so much detail, yes I can picture exactly what you mean and I really like the practicalities, I wonder if you would mind uploading a photo when you get chance as I'm sure other members/ visitors would like to see the finished suspended aviary in use, once again thank you.
Pete

Last edited by FaeryBee; 11-08-2015 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Added code for ending quote to make post easier to read
  #7  
Old 11-08-2015, 04:15 PM
Kate C's Avatar
Member of the Month October 2008
State:
 
Profile:Kate C is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 100'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Outer suburbs of Sydney
Posts: 6,826
Gallery: 3
Karma:
Points: 5073
Rep Power: 24
Kate C has a reputation beyond reputeKate C has a reputation beyond reputeKate C has a reputation beyond reputeKate C has a reputation beyond reputeKate C has a reputation beyond reputeKate C has a reputation beyond reputeKate C has a reputation beyond reputeKate C has a reputation beyond reputeKate C has a reputation beyond reputeKate C has a reputation beyond reputeKate C has a reputation beyond repute
Default

This is a link to one company that makes them over here. These are fancy ones with tube steel frames but it shows a variety of designs. Some are more permanent fixtures and others are more transportable.

Suspended Custom Built Aviaries

The attachments are a bank of suspended aviaries built wire to wire. A smaller one that was for sale so was just sitting on the table for display and the third is one that has been used as a movable rabbit or guinea pig hutch. This should give you some idea for now.
Attached Thumbnails
outdoor Aviary floor-suspended-bank.jpg   outdoor Aviary floor-suspended-sale.jpg   outdoor Aviary floor-suspended-converted-rabbits.jpg  
  #8  
Old 11-08-2015, 04:30 PM
Impeckable's Avatar
Impeckable (Pete)
Member of the Month Sept 2014
State:
 
Profile:Impeckable is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 1
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Lover
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Doncaster
Posts: 1,298
Gallery: 2
Karma:
Points: 2233
Rep Power: 11
Impeckable has a reputation beyond reputeImpeckable has a reputation beyond reputeImpeckable has a reputation beyond reputeImpeckable has a reputation beyond reputeImpeckable has a reputation beyond reputeImpeckable has a reputation beyond reputeImpeckable has a reputation beyond reputeImpeckable has a reputation beyond reputeImpeckable has a reputation beyond reputeImpeckable has a reputation beyond reputeImpeckable has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate C View Post
This is a link to one company that makes them over here. These are fancy ones with tube steel frames but it shows a variety of designs. Some are more permanent fixtures and others are more transportable.

Suspended Custom Built Aviaries

The attachments are a bank of suspended aviaries built wire to wire. A smaller one that was for sale so was just sitting on the table for display and the third is one that has been used as a movable rabbit or guinea pig hutch. This should give you some idea for now.
Many thanks Kate, very much appreciated, this has given me ideas which hopefully I will be able to use in the near future, thank you !
Pete
  #9  
Old 11-08-2015, 04:32 PM
Impeckable's Avatar
Impeckable (Pete)
Member of the Month Sept 2014
State:
 
Profile:Impeckable is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 1
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Lover
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Doncaster
Posts: 1,298
Gallery: 2
Karma:
Points: 2233
Rep Power: 11
Impeckable has a reputation beyond reputeImpeckable has a reputation beyond reputeImpeckable has a reputation beyond reputeImpeckable has a reputation beyond reputeImpeckable has a reputation beyond reputeImpeckable has a reputation beyond reputeImpeckable has a reputation beyond reputeImpeckable has a reputation beyond reputeImpeckable has a reputation beyond reputeImpeckable has a reputation beyond reputeImpeckable has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Deb, thanks for editing my post to make it more legible
  #10  
Old 11-08-2015, 04:50 PM
FaeryBee's Avatar
FaeryBee (Deborah)
Administrator



State:
 
Profile:FaeryBee is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 7
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Enthusiast
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 53,713
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 2575
Rep Power: 35
FaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impeckable View Post
Deb, thanks for editing my post to make it more legible
No thanks necessary and you are quite welcome!
__________________

Closed Thread



Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:10 PM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright © 2000- 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2006 - , 2403 Networks LLC. All rights reserved.