Hi there (long post incoming!),
I'm Alyssa - the sister. My bro let me log into the account to answer the questions. Thanks so much for responding by the way!
1. We've had the three new birds since June 5th, so it's been about a week and a half. We got them after the morning Gary passed away. Gary passed away at around 3am on June 5th and we got the 3 new birds at around 6-7pm June 5th.
- I wanted to get a bird for Anivia so she doesn't get anxiety or get lonely.
2. I didn't even know about quarantining and I wish I had
I did put Anivia in her own cage for awhile (the cages were close to each other) and in the evening when I got home from work I would open the cage doors so they can all hang out and get used to each other. And on some days I'd let her sleep in the same cage.
-If I wanted to do the quarantine procedure, should I start now even though I've put Anivia in with the 3 new birds?
3. I believe the cage is 30x18x36". I bought it at the local bird store (where I got Anivia, Gary, and also where the lady who works there gave me her 3 birds). But here's an Amazon link - I think this is the same one:
This is the cage Anivia and Gary were in:
This white cage is the cage I currently use for all four of them.
This is the cage the three new birds came in, which the lady also gave to me:
I'm not sure how big the green cage is, but it's a little shorter than the white one.
Here are all fours birds:
Anivia would be alone in the green cage, and the three new birds would be in the white cage. Like my bro stated, Anivia would go back and forth in the green cage and wanted to get out, and she would fly to the white one where all three birds were. I also tested to see if it was the cage she wanted and was being territorial, so I put the three new birds in their old green cage and Anivia in the white one, and she would still do the same thing (fly around, wanted to go to where the other birds were).
4. There are multiple food dishes in the cage. One for each bird. For water, there as one big dish and one water bottle type thing.But,I actually bought 3 more of them so they have options:
One looks like this:
The three other water dispensers looks like this:
Sometimes when the other birds eat, Anivia would go to where they're eating and they'd fly away. Although, she has been stopping that kind of habit; for example, today after work when I came home, all of them were eating in their own food dish.
When Gary was alive she'd do the samething -take over the food bowls I put in. I read that female parakeets are sometimes bossy and territorial?
5. When I got both Anivia and Gary at the bird store, they said they were about 4-5 months old. I believe Anivia is older because she didn't have as many stripes on her head.
I got them in February of this year, so I'm guessing she's about 8-9 months now.
I asked the lady who gave me the birds and she said she didn't really know. 2/3 have ring tags around their feet (does that determine their age?). She did say they were about a year old.
6. Here are all four of them, I hope the pictures are OK, if not, I can take some more:
-Notice his feet as well. I asked her about him today. She said when he arrived at the bird store his left wing wasn't grown and his feet were deformed. So the pet store let her take him home since they said nobody probably wouldn't buy him
. But, we all love him!
The lady also mentioned his beak was overgrown and she trims it occasionally. Pickle is also currently molting!
I know that Marshal and Pickle are definitely male, the lady said Taffy is male - but looking at the cere I'm not sure. Also for Anivia, I believe she is female, but not so sure either.
Is it too late to quarantine now? Also, Anivia was being territorial towards Gary when he was alive as well. One reason I suspect she's a female.
Thanks for all your help,