If you live in a warm climate, the inside of a car can get pretty hot. I have put things on the dashboard to kill bacteria with heat and UV. I don't think it can get to 200 degrees, which is what some recommend for killing bacteria, but I think it can get hot enough in summer heat to do a good enough job, if an oven is out of the question.
Bleach for cleaning, not for washing clothes, is what I use to disinfect things. Some of the 'clothes washing' types have other ingredients. A bottle of Clorox brand disinfecting bleach is my choice. The beauty of clorox is it immediately disinfects upon touch, so a quick dip and rinse is all that is necessary in most cases. Cleaning wood is difficult, because bacteria can be down deep where clorox can't reach, which is why heating the wood is much better insurance.
I am working on some wood for my budgies as well, but will definitely heat the oven to 200 degrees and leave the pieces in for about two hours. Then after that, I will put it on my dashboard in the car for about 1 day, turning them a few times so the UV can reach all the surfaces. All this after I have dipped them in clorox and water.
I hope I will get any nasties out of the wood using this method.