Do you think? I was a bit shocked when I saw this budgie because I didn't think it was possible.
The thing is, this bird went into judging -- quite an extensive show of various species of birds. The organization that puts on the show is very clear it will not accept ill birds but nothing concerning necessarily dyes but I would assume they won't accept birds that are "not a natural mutation" for competition.
I just don't understand anyone who would dye their bird and how it is even possible, I mean, it looked natural, but then wow, I just don't think it is good at all for the bird if that's what some breeders or independent owners do. This was mixed competition for anyone to enter.
I honestly just don't know what to make of it and why anyone would do that to their budgie bird. It just seems so wrong.
Dor I have actually flagged your thread so the other staff will see it first thing, they may be able to clarify for you for sure. I totally agree with you regarding this practise. The bird is clearly very stressed or over heated as well from that picture.
No, Cathy, it wasn't overheated. My partner caught it stretching its wings. It appeared perfectly fine and very healthy. Just stretching. I should have emphasized this from the picture. Sorry.
I certainly want more information on this. I don't think this should be removed, however, because the content is about breeding and mutation and perhaps practices that alter plumage. Not saying it's good practice, however, as there are people who turn their pet dogs into frilly, poofy walking color candy. Not that I like this, but...people, you know.
But if you look closely, there is violet and blue factor prominent and it just looks real, the pink that is, and note the white in the skirt but no distinct markings. I am at a loss for words on it. If it were dyed, would not all feathers be affected as in one color? There is more than one color and everything blends beautifully.
Either way, I don't condone dyeing one's pet. It's just wrong, period. And if truly that is the case here, then I wonder why a reputable bird show would allow for this practice and within judging competitions.
This budgie looks like its been fed canary red-factor colour food.
Red factor canaries were obtained through hybridizing canaries and red siskins from South-America. Canaries originally didn't have the capability to produce red pigments but after hybridization when they are fed special foods, their red pigments are intensified. Even natural foods like red peppers and carrots can influence colour for the canaries.
Show red-factors are fed supplements rich in beta-carotene which further intensify their red colour. Without the supplements, red factor canaries have a reddish-orangish colour.
I suspect the owners have fed this little one with the same canary supplements.
My guess is that this budgie has truly had the feathers dyed, given the pattern I'd say this was intentional. White based budgies (such as this one) are more prone to getting their white feathers soiled from eating their fresh foods, from playing with colourful wooden toys that after being wet can pass some of the colouring into the budgie's feathers, then there are the pink mineral blocks, etc.
I have also had and bred canaries in the past and have had red factored canaries as well.
From my understanding, even if feeding the supplement for red factor canaries, it's impossible for a budgie's feathers to turn pink/red, it's simply not present in their genetic make up.
Even for canaries who aren't red factored the supplement does nothing to their plumage and is only effective on canaries that are truly red factored.
The budgie on the photo is likely a cobalt violet greywing opaline budgie.
Once she bathes a few times the pink dye will disappear and in the most difficult places to reach, on the next moult the feathers will come white in colour.
RIP sweet Tito (Summer 2008 - January 17th 2013).
You are missed and never will be forgotten.
In my area, chicks are dyed and sold for very low prices. They look beautiful, but the dye they use is toxic and so they become ill and die. It all looks very real, in fact when I had first seen a dyed chick, I had thought it was real.
But if this bird is not dyed, then this has got to be the most beautiful and rare budgie I have ever seen!
I agree that the practice of dyeing is not considered "best practices" for this forum However, I want you to know that I also learned something regarding this practice and from the input of forum members.
I posted this because I think it is a good learning tool on what not to do to / for your pets / animals. It may look like eye candy but it is just not acceptable and it really is no better than those who dye their certain breed dogs and cats and dress them up.
The idea of dye strikes me as essentially dangerous. I do think it is highly probable that it is pink mineral block which has coloring in it -- food coloring I suspect. The first and last time I used a pink mineral block was when Nutmeg was still alive and she loved that thing -- too much to say the least.
She ended up with a colorful shade of pink on her skirt feathers for quite a few days. Although very cute and pretty at first, I soon realized that I didn't think this was a healthy block to give my budgies and I really didn't enjoy that it messed with her plumage. Keep in mind that this was a time I was still learning what to give my budgies when I first had them. I have long since taken that out of my mineral and feed regimen. I stay away from food coloring all together for my birdies. I know some foods use coloring factors and will add coloring to oat groats and pellets, but I prefer that my budgies have all natural.
In the end, I don't condone this practice regardless of what was used to create this coloring, and this budgie, although healthy and cheery in its demeanor, did not deserve this kind of cutesy fascination from it's human