I have not been on the forum for some time but I recently updated my double F050 flight cage and thought I would share some issues I had and some upgrades I made to solve them. So it has been 2 years since I first put my two F050's together to make the double which you can see in the sticky on the housing for budgies page and I did have some issues with it which mostly involved cleaning. The first thing is that it is virtually impossible to clean the back middle of the cage without taking the cages apart. If you don't have very long arms which I don't you simply cannot reach from any of the available doors. It also takes 2 people to remove and replace any perches from this area. Taking the cage apart for cleaning is a bit of a pain as it takes 2 people to unbolt it and then you have to use something to hold up both sides of the cage that the wheel was removed from. If you are just doing this every so often to get a extra deep clean done, no big deal but cages need wiped down regularly and so did not get done near enough.
The fix- I purchased two new F050 cages, I then took the front panels off the old cages and put them on the back of the new cages so that there are doors on the front and the back of the cage. I realize this seems like an expensive fix but I paid $170 for each of my first two cages which would be $14 a month over two years and I actually had them for 6 months longer than that before I put them together. They are still in perfect condition so the new ones even with the front panels from the old cage should last me for many years to come. I also had my brother in law drill some holes in the bottom legs and attached the old bars that hold the tray and the grate. I do not use the grate and have extra trays so I can take out the dirty tray in the morning and by the time I get home from work all the poop is dry and easier to clean. (thats whole other post)
Second, the middle bars where the cages are attached collected a lot of debris and were difficult to keep clean.
The fix - For the bottom I went to my local Ace Hardware and had them cut me a couple pieces of plexiglass. They actually gave it to me since it was just scrap pieces. I then put velcro on the bars and on the bottom of the pieces of plexiglass and now I can just take the dirty one out and replace with a clean one while I am cleaning the dirty one. For the middle bar I had intended on putting a square 1" dowel on top of it but then I found the bridges you can see in the pictures that hang over it and keep it from getting pooped on. This is working really well so far and I love these bridges as well. They are just right so the budgies can hop onto their swings.
Lastly, in addition to the bolts through the middle bars holding the cages together I had to use cable ties at the bottom and top of the cage. I had hoped to find a bracket but never did.
The fix - While my brother in law was drilling the holes to attach the bars that hold the trays I also had him drill a hole in the bottom of the inside legs and now they are bolted together at the bottom as well.
My budgies love this cage and have so much room that there is no bullying and very little conflict. I just can't imagine not having this now. What would I take away. They need it all. I would love to hear from others who have done the double F050 and get your take on it.