My wife and were wandering our local animal/plant souq (yes, we live in the middle east) when we came across a shop selling budgies. On impulse we bought a boy and a girl and brought them home.
Sometimes impulse is a good thing, but in the case of pets, it's not. We should have known better.
Joey and Sheila were fine, except we noticed right away that Sheila had a dirty vent and seemed to sleep a lot with her head tucked back into her shoulders. This went on for two months until one morning we found Sheila shivering at the bottom of her cage. Within an hour she was dead.
I'm glad her short life was spent with people who gave her comfort and shelter. We've learned our lesson.