So I posted on here back in June about my Meepers and my son. Story was Meep was a bird given to my son for his autism. My son is 5 and he really opened up to him and he died. My son was upset, very upset for a long time, he still misses Meep. Well we got him another one shortly after Meep died and he started to open to him last week, almost had Dooku(the new one) hand tamed. Tonight when we came home from the beach, Dooku was dead. My son is devistated! What am I doing wrong? Why is this happening? We have another parakeet and a cockatiel that we are bringing to the vet on friday to make sure they are ok. I am just so scared I am going to come home to them gone too!
I'm so sorry....that is awful...it is definitely good to get your other birds checked out by a vet....Where are you getting these birds from? If it's from a normal pet store, they are known to get their birds from "bird mills" so be aware of that. Maybe next time get a budgie from a breeder or a different store. Do some research on the place to make sure. I do have some store bought budgies and they've been fine for years, so not all stores are horrible. (I did have to change their diet a bit and tame them after going to a pet store) Immediately after you buy another budgie, take them to the vet to check them out, too.
Is your son maybe giving a budgie something to eat and/or to play with that is not safe for birds?
Are you using Teflon/nonstick cookware?
How about scented candles, cleaning agents, sprays, etc?
Is the cage new, w/out rust? Was it cleaned and desinfected well after your first budgie died?
If the second budgie died, I am suspecting there must be something in your home that is causing it.
I completely agree with Nika. It sounds like there is an environmental factor that is killing your birds. Also to add to what Nika said, do you use FEBREEZE? It kills. A good friend of mine just lost all her canaries because of febreeze.
Did you disinfect Meep's cage before you bought Dooku?
Are you quarantining the new birds?
These are all really good things to consider. Maybe make a list of all the factors that could be causing this, then go through it thoroughly. Maybe you will then find the issue, and fix it before you buy another one.
I am so sorry to hear of your losses, I hope you can get to the bottom of it if it is environmental causing the problem. I really feel for you and your son, autism can be quite misunderstood and is a very dark place for those suffering from it. I pray your son can continue to open up. *Big Hugs* to you both x
Thank you all for your concerns we are definately looking into all the possibilities. Everything you guys have suggested as been looked at. Everything was clean and brand new for Dooku. We are just stumped at the problems going on. My other birds are ok, my cockatiel is a bit underweight, so I dont know if that is related. We will be getting blood work done soon. We do not plan on getting a new one for a while, until we figure out what is going on. I got Meep as a baby hand reared from a breeder and we got Dooku from Petsmart. There is no way my son could have given them anything, he is heavily suppervised with his birds. I will talk to my nanny about the febreeze issue. Thank you everyone.