Cobalt hen and dark green opaling dominant pied male - Talk Budgies Forums


User Menu
Forum Home
Budgie Gallery
Budgie FAQ
Site Guidelines
How-To-Guide
Members List
Today's Posts
Log In
Register now!
Search



Advanced Search
Popular Forums
Announcements

Budgie Articles

Budgie Talk

Budgie Pictures

Budgie Videos

Budgie Behavior

Determining Gender

Your Budgie's Health

Taming and Bonding

Budgie Breeding

In Memory

Other Birds

Contests

Chit Chat

Site Information

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots
Sponsored Ads

Go Back   Talk Budgies Forums > Budgie Talk > Budgie Breeding > Mutations and Genetics


Mutations and Genetics Learn about budgie genetics and the wide variety of mutations.

Closed Thread
 
Short URL LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-04-2013, 07:33 AM
sanjaymgr's Avatar
Hatchling
 
Profile:sanjaymgr is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 4
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Breeder
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Pune, India
Posts: 117
Gallery: 10
Karma:
Points: 10
Rep Power: 7
sanjaymgr is on a distinguished road
Default Cobalt hen and dark green opaling dominant pied male

I have a cobalt hen and a dark green opaline dominant pied male, they have layed 5 eggs out of wich i have 3 lovely babies. None of the parent is having white colour but the eldest chick is pur white colour dont know how. Can some one give some light on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Cobalt hen and dark green opaling dominant pied male-sanpic1063.jpg  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 03-04-2013, 07:49 AM
intoxxication's Avatar
intoxxication (Tracy)
Young Budgie
State:
 
Profile:intoxxication is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 25
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Lover
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 694
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 621
Rep Power: 12
intoxxication is a name known to allintoxxication is a name known to allintoxxication is a name known to allintoxxication is a name known to allintoxxication is a name known to allintoxxication is a name known to all
Default

So I take it your cobalt hen was a yellow face then?

I would guess that your hen only has 1 YF gene in that case, and that your male is split to blue. This chick looks like it might be a blue (mauve or cobalt) dominant pied.
__________________
You know you might have too many budgies when you're not sure if you've remembered them all!
Charlie - Cinny - Dante - Gidget - Jimmette - JJ - Jules - Mo - Ollie - Peanut - Penny - Pie - PJ - Pockie - Sally - Simon - Snowy - Song - Sora - Spang - Tommy
  #3  
Old 03-04-2013, 03:34 PM
Tango55's Avatar
Tango55 (Jerry)
Hatchling
State:
 
Profile:Tango55 is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 150
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Exhibitor
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Ont.CA
Posts: 234
Gallery: 7
Karma:
Points: 95
Rep Power: 7
Tango55 will become famous soon enough
Default

Your Dom pied is split for blue.If the chick has red eyes it is an albino and also a hen.It could be masking pied as well as Opaline and dark factors.One example of what it could is ..Albino Cobalt Opaline Dom Pied.The next breeding from the same pair may give you blues in normal blue cobalt and mauve...plus other combinations but this is only a quick break down without extensive detail....Good Combo mating...Three shades of green...three shades of blue plus pieds in all three and Albino.....Congrats....
Regards Jerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 03-04-2013, 11:55 PM
NerdyBirdy's Avatar
Baby Budgie
State:
 
Profile:NerdyBirdy is offline
Number of Budgies: 20
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Breeder
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 322
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 192
Rep Power: 7
NerdyBirdy has a spectacular auraNerdyBirdy has a spectacular aura
Default

The male is definitely split for blue. Well considering what the parents are, the probability of getting each offspring mutation should be:
3.125% olive d. pied male split for opaline
3.125% olive male split for opaline
6.25% dark green d. pied male split for opaline
6.25% dark green male split for opaline
3.125% lime green d. pied male split for opaline
3.125% lime green male split for opaline
3.125% mauve d. pied male split for opaline
3.125% mauve male split for opaline
6.25% cobalt d. pied male split for opaline
6.25% cobalt male split for opaline
3.125% sky blue d. pied male split for opaline
3.125% sky blue male split for opaline
3.125% olive d. pied opaline female
3.125% olive opaline female
6.25% dark green d. pied opaline female
6.25% dark green opaline female
3.125% lime green d. pied opaline female
3.125% lime green opaline female
3.125% mauve d. pied opaline female
3.125% mauve opaline female
6.25% cobalt d. pied opaline female
6.25% cobalt opaline female
3.125% sky blue d. pied opaline female
3.125% sky blue opaline female

So the baby doesn't seem to be any of the mutations that these parents are expected to have! This is very interesting. I guess they're both just split for albino or maybe the chick is just heavily pied so it looks all white (but that's unlikely in a single factor dominant pied).

Do you have pictures of the parents? It's possible that the father is a recessive pied, not a dominant pied and the mother was a clearwing split for r. pied which could result in a white dark eyed clear. But that might be stretching it. More picture of the baby from different angles would be helpful too. I saw someone suggested yellowface, but I didn't see any yellow (probably because of my computer screen), so I'd like to see some other pictures!
Can you tell the eye colour?
  #5  
Old 03-05-2013, 05:06 AM
sanjaymgr's Avatar
Hatchling
 
Profile:sanjaymgr is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 4
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Breeder
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Pune, India
Posts: 117
Gallery: 10
Karma:
Points: 10
Rep Power: 7
sanjaymgr is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissListless View Post
The male is definitely split for blue. Well considering what the parents are, the probability of getting each offspring mutation should be:
3.125% olive d. pied male split for opaline
3.125% olive male split for opaline
6.25% dark green d. pied male split for opaline
6.25% dark green male split for opaline
3.125% lime green d. pied male split for opaline
3.125% lime green male split for opaline
3.125% mauve d. pied male split for opaline
3.125% mauve male split for opaline
6.25% cobalt d. pied male split for opaline
6.25% cobalt male split for opaline
3.125% sky blue d. pied male split for opaline
3.125% sky blue male split for opaline
3.125% olive d. pied opaline female
3.125% olive opaline female
6.25% dark green d. pied opaline female
6.25% dark green opaline female
3.125% lime green d. pied opaline female
3.125% lime green opaline female
3.125% mauve d. pied opaline female
3.125% mauve opaline female
6.25% cobalt d. pied opaline female
6.25% cobalt opaline female
3.125% sky blue d. pied opaline female
3.125% sky blue opaline female

So the baby doesn't seem to be any of the mutations that these parents are expected to have! This is very interesting. I guess they're both just split for albino or maybe the chick is just heavily pied so it looks all white (but that's unlikely in a single factor dominant pied).

Do you have pictures of the parents? It's possible that the father is a recessive pied, not a dominant pied and the mother was a clearwing split for r. pied which could result in a white dark eyed clear. But that might be stretching it. More picture of the baby from different angles would be helpful too. I saw someone suggested yellowface, but I didn't see any yellow (probably because of my computer screen), so I'd like to see some other pictures!
Can you tell the eye colour?
Hi after you asked me to see the eye coler i was ammaze the 1st 2 baby eye colour is dark black but the 3rd baby is having plum / red coloured. I can't say the feather colour its yet to come. But lookes to me albino / lutino. Is it possible if the parents have normal eye but the offspring can have plum coloured eye.?
  #6  
Old 03-05-2013, 05:12 AM
sanjaymgr's Avatar
Hatchling
 
Profile:sanjaymgr is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 4
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Breeder
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Pune, India
Posts: 117
Gallery: 10
Karma:
Points: 10
Rep Power: 7
sanjaymgr is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissListless View Post
The male is definitely split for blue. Well considering what the parents are, the probability of getting each offspring mutation should be:
3.125% olive d. pied male split for opaline
3.125% olive male split for opaline
6.25% dark green d. pied male split for opaline
6.25% dark green male split for opaline
3.125% lime green d. pied male split for opaline
3.125% lime green male split for opaline
3.125% mauve d. pied male split for opaline
3.125% mauve male split for opaline
6.25% cobalt d. pied male split for opaline
6.25% cobalt male split for opaline
3.125% sky blue d. pied male split for opaline
3.125% sky blue male split for opaline
3.125% olive d. pied opaline female
3.125% olive opaline female
6.25% dark green d. pied opaline female
6.25% dark green opaline female
3.125% lime green d. pied opaline female
3.125% lime green opaline female
3.125% mauve d. pied opaline female
3.125% mauve opaline female
6.25% cobalt d. pied opaline female
6.25% cobalt opaline female
3.125% sky blue d. pied opaline female
3.125% sky blue opaline female

So the baby doesn't seem to be any of the mutations that these parents are expected to have! This is very interesting. I guess they're both just split for albino or maybe the chick is just heavily pied so it looks all white (but that's unlikely in a single factor dominant pied).

Do you have pictures of the parents? It's possible that the father is a recessive pied, not a dominant pied and the mother was a clearwing split for r. pied which could result in a white dark eyed clear. But that might be stretching it. More picture of the baby from different angles would be helpful too. I saw someone suggested yellowface, but I didn't see any yellow (probably because of my computer screen), so I'd like to see some other pictures!
Can you tell the eye colour?
attaching paresnts pic...
Attached Thumbnails
Cobalt hen and dark green opaling dominant pied male-sanpic901.jpg   Cobalt hen and dark green opaling dominant pied male-sanpic902.jpg   Cobalt hen and dark green opaling dominant pied male-sanpic908.jpg  
  #7  
Old 03-05-2013, 05:40 AM
sanjaymgr's Avatar
Hatchling
 
Profile:sanjaymgr is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 4
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Breeder
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Pune, India
Posts: 117
Gallery: 10
Karma:
Points: 10
Rep Power: 7
sanjaymgr is on a distinguished road
Default

attaching the pic of the plum coloured eyed baby. Looks Albino to me...
Attached Thumbnails
Cobalt hen and dark green opaling dominant pied male-sanpic1068.jpg  
  #8  
Old 03-05-2013, 04:47 PM
NerdyBirdy's Avatar
Baby Budgie
State:
 
Profile:NerdyBirdy is offline
Number of Budgies: 20
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Breeder
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 322
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 192
Rep Power: 7
NerdyBirdy has a spectacular auraNerdyBirdy has a spectacular aura
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaymgr View Post
attaching the pic of the plum coloured eyed baby. Looks Albino to me...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaymgr View Post
Is it possible if the parents have normal eye but the offspring can have plum coloured eye.?
Well I guess both parents were split for albino if the baby's eyes are red. It certainly looks like an albino. The parent's eye colour has nothing to do with the baby's eye colour if the mutation that the baby has was masked in the parents. Budgies split for albino won't have red eyes.
  #9  
Old 03-05-2013, 05:05 PM
CuteLittleBirdies's Avatar
CuteLittleBirdies (Lindsey)
Member of the Month March 2011
State:
 
Profile:CuteLittleBirdies is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 500+
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ohio. U.S
Posts: 19,551
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 11092
Rep Power: 39
CuteLittleBirdies has a reputation beyond reputeCuteLittleBirdies has a reputation beyond reputeCuteLittleBirdies has a reputation beyond reputeCuteLittleBirdies has a reputation beyond reputeCuteLittleBirdies has a reputation beyond reputeCuteLittleBirdies has a reputation beyond reputeCuteLittleBirdies has a reputation beyond reputeCuteLittleBirdies has a reputation beyond reputeCuteLittleBirdies has a reputation beyond reputeCuteLittleBirdies has a reputation beyond reputeCuteLittleBirdies has a reputation beyond repute
Default

The first baby is a pied and looks to be recessive or possibly a combination pied if he/she got the dominant gene as well. The markings look light so it might also be opaline, and if so it is a female If it is a recessive pied both parents are split for recessive pied.

The third baby is a albino and from this pair genetically must be a female as Jerry mentioned. The father is split for blue and ino giving you the albino chick


Quote:
Originally Posted by MissListless View Post
Well I guess both parents were split for albino if the baby's eyes are red. It certainly looks like an albino. The parent's eye colour has nothing to do with the baby's eye colour if the mutation that the baby has was masked in the parents. Budgies split for albino won't have red eyes.
Ino is a sex linked mutation, so only males can be split for it
  #10  
Old 03-05-2013, 10:22 PM
NerdyBirdy's Avatar
Baby Budgie
State:
 
Profile:NerdyBirdy is offline
Number of Budgies: 20
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Breeder
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 322
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 192
Rep Power: 7
NerdyBirdy has a spectacular auraNerdyBirdy has a spectacular aura
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutelilbirdies View Post

Ino is a sex linked mutation, so only males can be split for it
Oh jeez, right! What was I thinking!? Silly me. I normally never get the actual genetics part wrong, just identifying the mutations. Well at least I seem to be right about the recessive pied aspect.
Closed Thread



Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:09 AM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright © 2000- 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2006 - , 2403 Networks LLC. All rights reserved.