Sky blue violet or just cobalt? - Talk Budgies Forums


User Menu
Forum Home
Budgie Gallery
Budgie FAQ
Site Guidelines
How-To-Guide
Members List
Today's Posts
Log In
Register now!
Search



Advanced Search
Popular Forums
Announcements

Budgie Articles

Budgie Talk

Budgie Pictures

Budgie Videos

Budgie Behavior

Determining Gender

Your Budgie's Health

Taming and Bonding

Budgie Breeding

In Memory

Other Birds

Contests

Chit Chat

Site Information

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots
Sponsored Ads

Go Back   Talk Budgies Forums > Budgie Talk > Budgie Breeding > Mutations and Genetics


Mutations and Genetics Learn about budgie genetics and the wide variety of mutations.

Closed Thread
 
Short URL LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 09-14-2013, 02:24 PM
budgiezforall's Avatar
budgiezforall (Jordy)
Baby Budgie
State:
 
Profile:budgiezforall is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 2
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Lover
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 415
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 136
Rep Power: 8
budgiezforall will become famous soon enoughbudgiezforall will become famous soon enough
Question Sky blue violet or just cobalt?

Hi, I've heard that these two mutations are easily mixed up, so here I am asking someone who knows a lot about this stuff to tell me if my new budgie Ushi is a sky blue violet or a cobalt. In the picture, he looks almost like plain old sky blue, but in true life he looks a lot darker. I've also heard that this is a indicator that a budgie has the violet factor, but I still need a confirmation. Here he is:
Attached Thumbnails
Sky blue violet or just cobalt?-img_9897.jpg   Sky blue violet or just cobalt?-img_9900.jpg   Sky blue violet or just cobalt?-img_9903.jpg  

__________________
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 09-14-2013, 04:04 PM
CuteLittleBirdies's Avatar
CuteLittleBirdies (Lindsey)
Member of the Month March 2011
State:
 
Profile:CuteLittleBirdies is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 500+
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ohio. U.S
Posts: 19,551
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 11092
Rep Power: 40
CuteLittleBirdies has a reputation beyond reputeCuteLittleBirdies has a reputation beyond reputeCuteLittleBirdies has a reputation beyond reputeCuteLittleBirdies has a reputation beyond reputeCuteLittleBirdies has a reputation beyond reputeCuteLittleBirdies has a reputation beyond reputeCuteLittleBirdies has a reputation beyond reputeCuteLittleBirdies has a reputation beyond reputeCuteLittleBirdies has a reputation beyond reputeCuteLittleBirdies has a reputation beyond reputeCuteLittleBirdies has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Definitely looks like a sky violet to me rather than cobalt
  #3  
Old 09-14-2013, 10:07 PM
clinton9's Avatar
clinton9 (Clinton)
Hatchling
 
Profile:clinton9 is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 54
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Breeder
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Thames, NEW ZEALAND
Posts: 214
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 137
Rep Power: 9
clinton9 will become famous soon enoughclinton9 will become famous soon enough
Default

Hi,
Your bird look like a violet-skyblue normal in juvenile plumage.

If your bird is a single factor violet-skyblue normal, he will have bright Cyan blue body in adult plumage.

To tell a single factor violet-skyblue, from cobalt, check the bases of central tail feathers, for turquosie colour.

See my photo of budgie central tail feathers.

I remembered I handled a adult male budgie with a very bright cyan blue body 2 years ago, so I learnt the bird was a violet-skyblue normal.


Quote:
Originally Posted by budgiezforall View Post
Hi, I've heard that these two mutations are easily mixed up, so here I am asking someone who knows a lot about this stuff to tell me if my new budgie Ushi is a sky blue violet or a cobalt. In the picture, he looks almost like plain old sky blue, but in true life he looks a lot darker. I've also heard that this is a indicator that a budgie has the violet factor, but I still need a confirmation. Here he is:
Attached Thumbnails
Sky blue violet or just cobalt?-copy-img_20130907_231723.jpg  

Last edited by clinton9; 09-14-2013 at 10:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 09-15-2013, 01:42 PM
budgiezforall's Avatar
budgiezforall (Jordy)
Baby Budgie
State:
 
Profile:budgiezforall is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 2
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Lover
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 415
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 136
Rep Power: 8
budgiezforall will become famous soon enoughbudgiezforall will become famous soon enough
Smile Thanks for the help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutelilbirdies View Post
Definitely looks like a sky violet to me rather than cobalt
Cool, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinton9 View Post
Hi,
Your bird look like a violet-skyblue normal in juvenile plumage.

If your bird is a single factor violet-skyblue normal, he will have bright Cyan blue body in adult plumage.

To tell a single factor violet-skyblue, from cobalt, check the bases of central tail feathers, for turquosie colour.

See my photo of budgie central tail feathers.

I remembered I handled a adult male budgie with a very bright cyan blue body 2 years ago, so I learnt the bird was a violet-skyblue normal.
Turquoise at the base of the central tail feathers = sf violet skyblue. Got it. Thanks, and, just out of curiosity, what does your chart say?

__________________
Closed Thread



Bookmarks

Tags
cobalt, mutation help, sky blue violet, violet factor

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:17 PM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright © 2000- 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2006 - , 2403 Networks LLC. All rights reserved.