I had been researched the moults of my budgies during 1991-1995.
Primaries 6,7,5,8,9,4,10,3 and 2,1.
Juvenile budgies start body moult at 70-75 days old, start with purple cheek patch feathers and forehead feathers.
1) One male juvenile budgie took 113 days from shedding juv P.6th on 14th March 2012, to 1st ad P.3rd fully grown on 5th July 2012.
2) One male normal spangle budgie, hatched on 13/9/93, shedded juv P.6th on 14/12/93 at age of 92-days-old and shedded juv P.10th on 21/4/94 at age of 190-days-old. This same bird shedded juv primary coverts 7th the last juv feathers, on 3/4/95, at 550-days-old. When adult primary coverts 7th are fully grown at 567-days-old, this bird have 100% adult plumage.
One female normal stangle budgie, hatched on 17/11/92, had shedded juv primary covert 5th on 15/4/94, at 514 days old and when primary covert 5th are fully grown at age of 531-days-old, this bird had 100% adult plumage.
Budgies cannot be aged past 520 to 570 days old, once last juvenile feathers are shedded, usually primary coverts 5th.
3) One male normal spangle budgie, hatched on 3/7/94, shedded juv P.6th on 11/10/94 at age of 100-days-old and shedded juv P.10th on 23/1/95 at age of 204-days-old. 1st adult P.10th fully grown on 18/2/95 at 7 month old.
This same bird shedded juv S.1st on 21/8/95 at 414-days-old, and all flight feathers fully grown on 13/9/95 at age of 14-month-old.
4) One male normal spangle budgie, hatched on 27/9/92, shedded juv P.6th on 5/1/93 at age of 100-days-old and shedded juv P.10th on 16/4/93 at age of 201-days-old. 1st adult P.10th fully grown on 18/2/95 at 7 month old.
This same bird shedded juv S.1st on 1/12/93 at 431-days-old, and all flight feathers fully grown on 25/12/93 at age of 15-month-old.
5) One male normal spangle budgie, hatched on 9/11/92, shedded juv P.6th on 6/2/93 at age of 89-days-old and shedded juv P.10th on 16/4/93 at age of 201-days-old. 1st adult P.10th fully grown on 18/2/95 at 7 month old.
This same bird shedded juv S.1st on 28/12/93 and all flight feathers fully grown on 25/12/93 at age of 15-month-old.
Juvenile budgies shed juv P.6th at 74 to 111 days-old and juv primary coverts 5th-8th are the last feathers to shed at 510 to 595-days old, with most budgies shedded juv P.6th at 88 to 105-days old and most budgies shedded primary coverts 5th at 510 to 595-days old.
Primary moults in adult budgies, are serial-outward and serial inward, most moults start at P.6th and P.2nd, and sometimes P.10, with 2-3 growing feathers per primary.
6) One 9-month-old male budgie shedded a 1st ad P.6th, through its primaries are 1st ad P.3rd to 10th and juvenile P.1st to 2nd.
This same 14-month-old bird had shedded its 2nd ad P.6th, while 2nd ad P.9th are in pin and 1st ad P.10 and 1st ad P.1 to P.4th and 2nd ad P.7 to P.8th remained unmoulted, this bird have 4 genes of feathers juv, 1st ad, 2nd ad, 3ed ad. Juvenile S.1st still remained unmoulted. Had both 2nd ad & 1st ad tail 1st (central). Secondaries: 3rd to 7th 1st ad, with 1st ad S.2nd in pin and juv S.1st. Terteries: 1st,2nd and 4th,5th 1st ad, with 2nd ad 3rd.
This same 20-month-old bird had 3 genes of primaries. P.1st 1st ad, 2nd to 4th and P. 9th to 10th 2nd ad, P.5th to 7th 3rd ad. P.7th half grown.
Secondaries: not in moult, fresh. S.1st to 7th 1st ad.
Terteries: all terteries are 2nd ad and not in moult.
Only juv primary covert 8th remained unmoulted.
Juvenile budgies start tail moult at 66 to 160, with most birds sheeded central tail feathers at 125 to 155-days old, and most budgies finished tail moult at 7 month-old.
1 17 days 53mm
2 19 days 56mm
3 21 days 59mm
4 21 days 63mm
5 24 days 65mm
6 26 days 71mm
7 28 days 76mm
8 29 days 85mm
9 33 days 88mm
10 28 days 84mm
1 21 days
2 23 days
3 23 days
4 21 days
5 25 days
6 24 days
7 20 days
1 25 days
2 24 days
3 23 days
4 26 days
5 23 days
1 40 days
2 28 days
3 28 days
4 27 days
5 30 days
6 23 days
1 15 days
2 16 days
3 17 days
4 21 days
1 17 days
2 15 days
3 16 days
4 18 days
5 16 days
6 16 days
7 18 days
8 18 days
9 15 days
Purple cheek patches 20 days to 25 days.
Necklace feathers 15 to 18 days.
Longest underside tail coverts 30 days, plus 1mm growth per day.
Secondary coverts take 15 to 35 days to regrow, longer in outer secondary coverts.
Most budgies have finished body moult at 7 months old.
Primaries & tail feathers grow at 3mm per day.
Single factor yellow-faced blue budgies can change colours as if by magic.