Originally Posted by Anj
Wow... What great information...
It's always a nice to have confirmation that your budgie's mutation is in fact what you thought it was...
Another question I have... I have my boys matched up with Ino's... Eg. Yellow DFS cock with a lutino hen and White DFS with a lutino hen..
What kind of chicks can I expect from these mutations?
Yellow DFS cock x Lutino hen =
100% green SF spangle chicks, males being split for ino
If both cock and hen are split for blue, you have a 25% chance of blue chicks, 50% chance of chicks being split for blue, and 25% chance of chicks having no 'blue gene'.
White DFS cock x albino hen
100% blue SF spangle chicks, males being split for ino.
In their case from memory (and that's not good) the bird was carrying 3 double factor spangle genes. I think 1 parent was a double factor spangle and the other was a spangle.
Umm, im not sure what you mean by 3 double factor spangle genes? That would mean 6 spangle genes, and a bird only carry one (SF spangle) or 2 (DF spangle).
DF x DF will produce all DF spangle chicks.
SF x DF will produce 50% SF, 50% DF.
SF x SF will produce 25% normals, 50% SF, 25% DF.
SF x normal will produce 50% normal, 50% SF.
In regards to coloured feathers coming through, what Anj described is extremely minimal suffusion. Early DF spangles had a chest 'bib', in other words their chest was suffused with colour. This was for some stupid reason considered a show fault, and birds with no suffusion were declared the ideal. So now we usually have DF spangles that are in colour identical to ino's and DEC's, which i think is stupid because having a bib would make them stand out. And i have to say i find the bib a beautiful thing. I'll have to go find a picture of it to show you.
Edit: Here is a picture of a show DF spangle that has won top awards even with the suffused bib (hooray!). This picture and bird belong to splat, who's post can be found HERE