Could someone tell me the colours/genetics of my birds? - Talk Budgies Forums


User Menu
Forum Home
Budgie Gallery
Budgie FAQ
Site Guidelines
How-To-Guide
Members List
Today's Posts
Log In
Register now!
Search



Advanced Search
Popular Forums
Announcements

Budgie Articles

Budgie Talk

Budgie Pictures

Budgie Videos

Budgie Behavior

Determining Gender

Your Budgie's Health

Taming and Bonding

Budgie Breeding

In Memory

Other Birds

Contests

Chit Chat

Site Information

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots
Sponsored Ads

Go Back   Talk Budgies Forums > Budgie Talk > Budgie Breeding > Mutations and Genetics


Mutations and Genetics Learn about budgie genetics and the wide variety of mutations.

Closed Thread
 
Short URL LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-30-2010, 12:06 PM
evsrin's Avatar
Baby Budgie
State:
 
Profile:evsrin is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 4
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Owner
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 368
Gallery: 1
Karma:
Points: 77
Rep Power: 10
evsrin will become famous soon enough
Default Could someone tell me the colours/genetics of my birds?

I've been reading about this topic, and I think it would be easier to understand the terms used if I knew what my birds were. Also, if you could give me alittle insight as to what kind of mutations(correct term?) Romeo & Juliet could possibly produce, that would be great also!

PS, I don't know what any of the parent's of these birds looked like, so moving forward I want to know what they appear to be.

Here's pics of each of my birds;

Romeo (Male)-



Juliet (female)-


Petey (male)-



Kiwi (female)-



Last edited by evsrin; 03-30-2010 at 12:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 03-30-2010, 03:09 PM
helloyo53 (Brandon)
Member of the Month
State:
 
Profile:helloyo53 is offline
Gender:
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Enthusiast
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Guelph
Posts: 7,575
Gallery: 38
Karma:
Points: 1867
Rep Power: 17
helloyo53 is worthy of great admirationhelloyo53 is worthy of great admirationhelloyo53 is worthy of great admirationhelloyo53 is worthy of great admirationhelloyo53 is worthy of great admirationhelloyo53 is worthy of great admirationhelloyo53 is worthy of great admirationhelloyo53 is worthy of great admirationhelloyo53 is worthy of great admirationhelloyo53 is worthy of great admirationhelloyo53 is worthy of great admiration
Default

Romeo: Light green clearwing.
Juliet: Colbalt blue yellowface type 1 clearwing, could be a dominant pied, I need a picture of the front.
Petey: Sky blue yellowface type 2 cinnamon(?)
Kiwi: Dark green dominant pied.

If you were to breed Romeo and Juliet assuming Juliet is clearwing, you would get:
50% dark green, 50% light green
100% normal split for dilute
50% normal, 50% clearflight
Not sure about the yellow face

If you were to breed Romeo and Juliet assuming Juliet is a dominant pied (instead of clearflight pied), you would get:
50% dark green, 50% light green
100% normal split for dilute
50% dom. pied and 50% normal.

Not 100% sure on these, so we'll let the mutation experts confirm.
  #3  
Old 03-30-2010, 03:34 PM
evsrin's Avatar
Baby Budgie
State:
 
Profile:evsrin is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 4
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Owner
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 368
Gallery: 1
Karma:
Points: 77
Rep Power: 10
evsrin will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by helloyo53 View Post
Romeo: Light green clearwing.
Juliet: Colbalt blue yellowface type 1 clearwing, could be a dominant pied, I need a picture of the front.
Petey: Sky blue yellowface type 2 cinnamon(?)
Kiwi: Dark green dominant pied.

If you were to breed Romeo and Juliet assuming Juliet is clearwing, you would get:
50% dark green, 50% light green
100% normal split for dilute
50% normal, 50% clearflight
Not sure about the yellow face

If you were to breed Romeo and Juliet assuming Juliet is a dominant pied (instead of clearflight pied), you would get:
50% dark green, 50% light green
100% normal split for dilute
50% dom. pied and 50% normal.

Not 100% sure on these, so we'll let the mutation experts confirm.
BTW- Petey appears more like the 1st picture in real life. The 2nd picture does not reflect his color accurately.

Thank you so much, I'm going to have to print all the info. on here about it and read it over a few times!

Does this pic help with Juliet?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 03-30-2010, 03:39 PM
helloyo53 (Brandon)
Member of the Month
State:
 
Profile:helloyo53 is offline
Gender:
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Enthusiast
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Guelph
Posts: 7,575
Gallery: 38
Karma:
Points: 1867
Rep Power: 17
helloyo53 is worthy of great admirationhelloyo53 is worthy of great admirationhelloyo53 is worthy of great admirationhelloyo53 is worthy of great admirationhelloyo53 is worthy of great admirationhelloyo53 is worthy of great admirationhelloyo53 is worthy of great admirationhelloyo53 is worthy of great admirationhelloyo53 is worthy of great admirationhelloyo53 is worthy of great admirationhelloyo53 is worthy of great admiration
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by evsrin View Post
Thank you so much, I'm going to have to print all the info. on here about it and read it over a few times!

Does this pic help with Juliet?

According to that picture, Juliet is a clearflight. Glad I could help.
  #5  
Old 03-30-2010, 05:46 PM
ETAHoffman (Tom)
Budgie
State:
 
Profile:ETAHoffman is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: Hund
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Breeder
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Posts: 861
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 189
Rep Power: 14
ETAHoffman has a spectacular auraETAHoffman has a spectacular aura
Default

Not knowing their backgrounds, this is pretty much a guessing game. If you are breeding them, keep very accurate records of the babies blood lines. After you've bred the birds several times, you'll be able to get a fairly accurate idea of what to expect.

I might suggest a book, available through ABS, entitled Budgerigar Matings and Colour Expectations. You can buy it from them even if you are not a member of ABS (which I highly encourage). It is the bible of Budgie genetics!

Tom
  #6  
Old 03-30-2010, 06:51 PM
evsrin's Avatar
Baby Budgie
State:
 
Profile:evsrin is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 4
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Owner
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 368
Gallery: 1
Karma:
Points: 77
Rep Power: 10
evsrin will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETAHoffman View Post
Not knowing their backgrounds, this is pretty much a guessing game. If you are breeding them, keep very accurate records of the babies blood lines. After you've bred the birds several times, you'll be able to get a fairly accurate idea of what to expect.

I might suggest a book, available through ABS, entitled Budgerigar Matings and Colour Expectations. You can buy it from them even if you are not a member of ABS (which I highly encourage). It is the bible of Budgie genetics!

Tom
Thank you Tom, I will look into that book!
  #7  
Old 03-31-2010, 07:00 AM
nev90's Avatar
Member of the Month January 2009
 
Profile:nev90 is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 160+
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Breeder
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Northland, New Zealand
Posts: 3,676
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 1088
Rep Power: 15
nev90 has much to be proud ofnev90 has much to be proud ofnev90 has much to be proud ofnev90 has much to be proud ofnev90 has much to be proud ofnev90 has much to be proud ofnev90 has much to be proud ofnev90 has much to be proud of
Default

Romeo – Greywing light green

Juliet – Type 1 yellow face clearflight pied cobalt

Petey – Type 2 yellow face cinnamon sky blue (the type 2 yellow face makes the body look greenish)

Kiwi – Dominant pied light green

If Romeo is not split for blue and Juliet is not split for greywing the chicks would be about half normal greens and half clearflight greens

If Romeo is split for blue you’d get normal green, normal blue, yellow face blue, clearflight green, clearflight blue & yellow face clearflight blue
__________________
Closed Thread



Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:57 AM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright © 2000- 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2006 - , 2403 Networks LLC. All rights reserved.