How Dominant is the YF gene? - Talk Budgies Forums


User Menu
Forum Home
Budgie Gallery
Budgie FAQ
Site Guidelines
How-To-Guide
Members List
Today's Posts
Log In
Register now!
Search



Advanced Search
Popular Forums
Announcements

Budgie Articles

Budgie Talk

Budgie Pictures

Budgie Videos

Budgie Behavior

Determining Gender

Your Budgie's Health

Taming and Bonding

Budgie Breeding

In Memory

Other Birds

Contests

Chit Chat

Site Information

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots
Sponsored Ads

Go Back   Talk Budgies Forums > Budgie Talk > Budgie Breeding > Mutations and Genetics


Mutations and Genetics Learn about budgie genetics and the wide variety of mutations.

Closed Thread
 
Short URL LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 08-11-2010, 04:58 AM
Teegzy's Avatar
Teegzy (Tegan)
Budgie
State:
 
Profile:Teegzy is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 10
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Lover
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,638
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 318
Rep Power: 11
Teegzy is a jewel in the roughTeegzy is a jewel in the roughTeegzy is a jewel in the roughTeegzy is a jewel in the rough
Default How Dominant is the YF gene?

Is the yellowface gene dominant in any way?
Does dom pied take over? Or opaline?

Is opaline or spangle dominant over each other?
Or both recessive to some point, is that why you can get a mutation
where both opaline and spangle co-existist in the one bird, showing
itself on the wings.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 08-11-2010, 05:14 AM
nev90's Avatar
Member of the Month January 2009
 
Profile:nev90 is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 160+
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Breeder
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Northland, New Zealand
Posts: 3,676
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 1088
Rep Power: 15
nev90 has much to be proud ofnev90 has much to be proud ofnev90 has much to be proud ofnev90 has much to be proud ofnev90 has much to be proud ofnev90 has much to be proud ofnev90 has much to be proud ofnev90 has much to be proud of
Default

The mutations act independently. One is not more or less dominant than another. A bird can be several mutations at the same time but each mutation will be inherited by the offspring according to the rules of the individual mutation

For example a yellow face opaline spangle male mated to a normal blue hen would produce all opaline daughters and non- opaline sons, but the yellow face & the spangle would only be inherited by half the chicks - combined in some and not in others
__________________
  #3  
Old 08-11-2010, 06:45 AM
Guthwulf's Avatar
Guthwulf (Dean)
Member of the Month
 
Profile:Guthwulf is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 50
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Breeder
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 1,767
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 632
Rep Power: 13
Guthwulf is a name known to allGuthwulf is a name known to allGuthwulf is a name known to allGuthwulf is a name known to allGuthwulf is a name known to allGuthwulf is a name known to all
Default

Most mutations are on different parts of the genetic code so you could think of them as being 'co-dominant' meaning they can all exist and effect colour together. This is how you get combination varieties (many many unique combinations).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 08-23-2010, 09:18 AM
Teegzy's Avatar
Teegzy (Tegan)
Budgie
State:
 
Profile:Teegzy is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 10
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Lover
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,638
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 318
Rep Power: 11
Teegzy is a jewel in the roughTeegzy is a jewel in the roughTeegzy is a jewel in the roughTeegzy is a jewel in the rough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nev90 View Post
The mutations act independently. One is not more or less dominant than another. A bird can be several mutations at the same time but each mutation will be inherited by the offspring according to the rules of the individual mutation

For example a yellow face opaline spangle male mated to a normal blue hen would produce all opaline daughters and non- opaline sons, but the yellow face & the spangle would only be inherited by half the chicks - combined in some and not in others
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guthwulf View Post
Most mutations are on different parts of the genetic code so you could think of them as being 'co-dominant' meaning they can all exist and effect colour together. This is how you get combination varieties (many many unique combinations).

How very exciting! This helped alot with mutation knowledge.
Thankyou so much for answering thats great to know, I guess I
wondered why Artek & Zafu, both having a yellow face, had no YF babies?
  #5  
Old 08-23-2010, 07:24 PM
tonic (Toni)
Older Budgie
 
Profile:tonic is offline
Gender:
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Enthusiast
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bay of Plenty
Posts: 2,272
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 922
Rep Power: 11
tonic deserves every one of these pointstonic deserves every one of these pointstonic deserves every one of these pointstonic deserves every one of these pointstonic deserves every one of these pointstonic deserves every one of these pointstonic deserves every one of these pointstonic deserves every one of these points
Default

i think artek is a green rather than a yellow faced blue isn't he? so are you asking about the yellow face variety (blue birds with yellow mask etc) or greens (which have yellow base colour)?

if atrek and zafu are both greens then they must both be split for blue and by chance you only got blue babies.
  #6  
Old 08-23-2010, 11:39 PM
Guthwulf's Avatar
Guthwulf (Dean)
Member of the Month
 
Profile:Guthwulf is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 50
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Breeder
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 1,767
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 632
Rep Power: 13
Guthwulf is a name known to allGuthwulf is a name known to allGuthwulf is a name known to allGuthwulf is a name known to allGuthwulf is a name known to allGuthwulf is a name known to all
Default

Putting two yellowfaces doesnt guarantee their chicks will all be yellowfaces. You can expect from pairing 2x yellowface type 1 blues to get:

25% normal blue (no yellowface), 50% yellowface type 1, 25% 'double factor' yellowface type 1 (white faces but will produce all yellowface chicks when paired to a normal blue).

Techinically there is no double factor yellowface type 1's but i wont get into that.

Essentially putting two yellowfaces together means you have roughly 50% chance of each chick being yellowface, so you could get all yellowface chicks and you could get no yellowface chicks - its all the odds game.
  #7  
Old 08-24-2010, 09:59 AM
Teegzy's Avatar
Teegzy (Tegan)
Budgie
State:
 
Profile:Teegzy is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 10
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Lover
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,638
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 318
Rep Power: 11
Teegzy is a jewel in the roughTeegzy is a jewel in the roughTeegzy is a jewel in the roughTeegzy is a jewel in the rough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guthwulf View Post
Putting two yellowfaces doesnt guarantee their chicks will all be yellowfaces. You can expect from pairing 2x yellowface type 1 blues to get:

25% normal blue (no yellowface), 50% yellowface type 1, 25% 'double factor' yellowface type 1 (white faces but will produce all yellowface chicks when paired to a normal blue).

Techinically there is no double factor yellowface type 1's but i wont get into that.

Essentially putting two yellowfaces together means you have roughly 50% chance of each chick being yellowface, so you could get all yellowface chicks and you could get no yellowface chicks - its all the odds game.
Oh wow that was ever so helpful. I guess there is just SOOO many
different expectations on genes & mutations. thankyou so much
for clearing that up. Its making a little more sense now about the odd
of getting what you would expect by looking, and not being a complete
expert of what to expect in %'s Thankyou
Closed Thread



Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:29 PM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright © 2000- 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2006 - , 2403 Networks LLC. All rights reserved.