Talk Budgies Forums

Talk Budgies Forums (https://www.talkbudgies.com/forum.php)
-   Mutations and Genetics (https://www.talkbudgies.com/25-mutations-genetics/)
-   -   Opalines (https://www.talkbudgies.com/mutations-genetics/72827-opalines.html)

Dries 06-10-2011 09:56 AM

Opalines
 
Does Opaline have an effect on the colour of a bird?

atvchick95 06-10-2011 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dries (Post 835903)
Does Opaline have an effect on the colour of a bird?

From my experience it has not the only thing color wise it does is puts the body color through the wings

but I've never noticed any of my Opaline's to have lighter or Darker body color because it was Opaline - Other mutations mixed in can though and that's what changes mine's body color

Dries 06-10-2011 01:22 PM

Thanks, didn't know what opaline does.

atvchick95 06-10-2011 01:49 PM

your welcome

nev90 06-10-2011 07:30 PM

Opaline will lighten the shade slightly but it is not always obvious

RIPbudgies 06-15-2011 10:30 AM

1. Lightens body colour by about 5-10 percent.
2. Cause body colour to be seen in the mantle. neck and wings.
3. Tail will loose colour from the base of the tail to varying degrees down the length of the tail.
4. The underwing stripe is extended to the point of it being visible from the top side and when the wing is folded and against the body you will see a small area of white or yellow referred to as a 'wing mirror'.
5. Removes melanin from the down making it show as snow white.
6. Has a tendancy to produce more melanin in the feathers making some specimens look extremely black in the markings.

SusanBudgies 06-15-2011 09:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
If a bird is split to opaline, how will that appear on the bird?

One of my normals is light green with green through wings but not on upper back (see photos). Is he split for opaline?

Budgiedin 06-15-2011 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIPbudgies (Post 837914)
6. Has a tendancy to produce more melanin in the feathers making some specimens look extremely black in the markings.

Hi RIP!

That's interesting. I have an opaline hen whose black markings pop out more than my other birds. This must be why.

I have also noticed that when I have opaline and greywing on the same bird, the markings get sort of "doubly" washed out, so that they almost look spangle, but not quite. And someone somewhere said that opaline can wash out the wing markings. Maybe they were referring to how some of the black is removed, to let the body color show through?

By the way, it's nice to see you on here. Might be incentive for me to come on here more! :D

-Budgiedin (A.K.A. 'Finnie')

nev90 06-15-2011 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SusanBudgies (Post 838194)
If a bird is split to opaline, how will that appear on the bird?

One of my normals is light green with green through wings but not on upper back (see photos). Is he split for opaline?

When the body colour shows on the wings of a normal budgie it is called opalescence. Sometimes male birds showing opalescence will be split for opaline but it is not a positive indication. Females can show opalescence too but they can't be split for opaline

SusanBudgies 06-16-2011 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nev90 (Post 838239)
When the body colour shows on the wings of a normal budgie it is called opalescence. Sometimes male birds showing opalescence will be split for opaline but it is not a positive indication. Females can show opalescence too but they can't be split for opaline

Very interesting. Thank you! :D


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright © 2000- 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2006 - , 2403 Networks LLC. All rights reserved.