What is Bl2 on the Genetic Calculator - Talk Budgies Forums


User Menu
Forum Home
Budgie Gallery
Budgie FAQ
Site Guidelines
How-To-Guide
Members List
Today's Posts
Log In
Register now!
Search



Advanced Search
Popular Forums
Announcements

Budgie Articles

Budgie Talk

Budgie Pictures

Budgie Videos

Budgie Behavior

Determining Gender

Your Budgie's Health

Taming and Bonding

Budgie Breeding

In Memory

Other Birds

Contests

Chit Chat

Site Information

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots
Sponsored Ads

Go Back   Talk Budgies Forums > Budgie Talk > Budgie Breeding > Mutations and Genetics


Mutations and Genetics Learn about budgie genetics and the wide variety of mutations.

Closed Thread
 
Short URL LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 11-20-2011, 02:08 PM
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
State:
 
Profile:atvchick95 is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 40+
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 16,073
Gallery: 5
Karma:
Points: 1447
Rep Power: 21
atvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic person
Question What is Bl2 on the Genetic Calculator

I've tried searching on Google but i couldn't find anything helpful

I clicked the pic icon on the Genetic Calculator and it wasn't helpful

So what does Bl2 mean? is that actually Yellow face type 1? If so I've been using this dang thing the wrong way for the last 4 years LOL

and I am assuming the Bl2 goes for the Blue II on the part you actually get to click a dot to choose one.

I've been clicking Bl. Yellowface for Every yellow face Type I have rather its Type 1 or Type 2 and it always tells me 100% Yellow face will be the outcome even when Just 1 Parent is a Yellow face and I know that isn't right. I've bred many many yellow faces With just 1 parent being a yellow face and I do not get 100% yellow faces
this is the Genetic Calculator
https://www.gencalc.com/gen/eng_genc.php?sp=0Budg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 11-21-2011, 04:07 AM
SusanBudgies's Avatar
Member of the Month April 2011
State:
 
Profile:SusanBudgies is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 9
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Owner
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,435
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 1739
Rep Power: 16
SusanBudgies has a brilliant futureSusanBudgies has a brilliant futureSusanBudgies has a brilliant futureSusanBudgies has a brilliant futureSusanBudgies has a brilliant futureSusanBudgies has a brilliant futureSusanBudgies has a brilliant futureSusanBudgies has a brilliant futureSusanBudgies has a brilliant futureSusanBudgies has a brilliant futureSusanBudgies has a brilliant future
Default

The chart lists blues as:
bl blue
bl2 blueII
blyf bl.yellowface
blgf bl.goldenface

The character after the "b" is the letter "l," not the number "1."

I assume bl2/blueII means yellow face type 2 and blyf/bl.yellowface means yellow face type 1.

What bothers me is you cannot select double factor yellow/golden faces.
  #3  
Old 11-21-2011, 07:53 AM
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
State:
 
Profile:atvchick95 is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 40+
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 16,073
Gallery: 5
Karma:
Points: 1447
Rep Power: 21
atvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic person
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanBudgies View Post
The chart lists blues as:
bl blue
bl2 blueII
blyf bl.yellowface
blgf bl.goldenface

The character after the "b" is the letter "l," not the number "1."

I assume bl2/blueII means yellow face type 2 and blyf/bl.yellowface means yellow face type 1.

What bothers me is you cannot select double factor yellow/golden faces.
I knew it was an I and not a number 1 Just wasn't sure what it meant I tried google but I just kept getting stuff for "blue budgies" Lol

the calculator needs some work done to it - it also gives you the option to make the bird split to yellow face When I've been told many times they can not be split to yellow face

I was pretty sure Yellow Face in general no matter which type it was was Dominant which would also back up the fact it can't be in a split form

so if I get outcomes like for example Green/bl. yellow face blue greywing I would perosanlly ignore the "bl yellowface" part and the bird would be Green/ Blue Greywing

and it would be nice if there was more descriptions and instructions on how to use it - It doesn't even tell any one what side is what, When I first started using it I had to go around asking I didn't know the left was male and the right was female - I didn't even notice when i first started using it that that the right side had no spot to click for Split to for Opaline, cinnamon or any other sex linked gene lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 11-21-2011, 07:13 PM
SusanBudgies's Avatar
Member of the Month April 2011
State:
 
Profile:SusanBudgies is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 9
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Owner
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,435
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 1739
Rep Power: 16
SusanBudgies has a brilliant futureSusanBudgies has a brilliant futureSusanBudgies has a brilliant futureSusanBudgies has a brilliant futureSusanBudgies has a brilliant futureSusanBudgies has a brilliant futureSusanBudgies has a brilliant futureSusanBudgies has a brilliant futureSusanBudgies has a brilliant futureSusanBudgies has a brilliant futureSusanBudgies has a brilliant future
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by atvchick95 View Post


I knew it was an I and not a number 1 Just wasn't sure what it meant I tried google but I just kept getting stuff for "blue budgies" Lol

the calculator needs some work done to it - it also gives you the option to make the bird split to yellow face When I've been told many times they can not be split to yellow face

I was pretty sure Yellow Face in general no matter which type it was was Dominant which would also back up the fact it can't be in a split form

so if I get outcomes like for example Green/bl. yellow face blue greywing I would perosanlly ignore the "bl yellowface" part and the bird would be Green/ Blue Greywing

and it would be nice if there was more descriptions and instructions on how to use it - It doesn't even tell any one what side is what, When I first started using it I had to go around asking I didn't know the left was male and the right was female - I didn't even notice when i first started using it that that the right side had no spot to click for Split to for Opaline, cinnamon or any other sex linked gene lol
The "l" in "bl2" is a small case letter "L" -- in other words, "bl2" is short for "bl[ue]2" -- not the capital letter "I."

I've heard others complain about the calculator. But I do think a green series bird can be split to YF blue; take a look at your "Just out of curiosity" thread https://talkbudgies.com/showthread.php?t=81193 wherein Nev agreed with the percentages I provided.
  #5  
Old 11-21-2011, 07:45 PM
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
State:
 
Profile:atvchick95 is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 40+
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 16,073
Gallery: 5
Karma:
Points: 1447
Rep Power: 21
atvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic person
Default

Yes i saw that and when it comes up like that on the genetic calculator I ignore the split to yellow face part and just use the split to blue

If they could be split to yellow face I think I'd have a whole lot more Yellow faces than i do since at least 1 Parent bird of all my American Budgies have been a yellow face in the past- their babies put with non yellow faces have never produced yellow face

Yellow face is dominant - Birds can't be split to a dominant gene though so not sure how Yellow face can be dominant , can't be split to dominant genes yet they can be split to yellow face... - That makes no sense. That would mean if yellow face is dominant and they can be split to it, then they can be split to all dominant genes like dominant pied.
  #6  
Old 11-21-2011, 08:03 PM
SusanBudgies's Avatar
Member of the Month April 2011
State:
 
Profile:SusanBudgies is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 9
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Owner
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,435
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 1739
Rep Power: 16
SusanBudgies has a brilliant futureSusanBudgies has a brilliant futureSusanBudgies has a brilliant futureSusanBudgies has a brilliant futureSusanBudgies has a brilliant futureSusanBudgies has a brilliant futureSusanBudgies has a brilliant futureSusanBudgies has a brilliant futureSusanBudgies has a brilliant futureSusanBudgies has a brilliant futureSusanBudgies has a brilliant future
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by atvchick95 View Post
Yes i saw that and when it comes up like that on the genetic calculator I ignore the split to yellow face part and just use the split to blue

If they could be split to yellow face I think I'd have a whole lot more Yellow faces than i do since at least 1 Parent bird of all my American Budgies have been a yellow face in the past- their babies put with non yellow faces have never produced yellow face

Yellow face is dominant - Birds can't be split to a dominant gene though so not sure how Yellow face can be dominant , can't be split to dominant genes yet they can be split to yellow face... - That makes no sense. That would mean if yellow face is dominant and they can be split to it, then they can be split to all dominant genes like dominant pied.
I hope an expert will come along and explain yellow face genetics to you. Since in my case the cock bird was df YF1, it was easy for me to get all YF1 chicks.
  #7  
Old 11-21-2011, 09:17 PM
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
State:
 
Profile:atvchick95 is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 40+
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 16,073
Gallery: 5
Karma:
Points: 1447
Rep Power: 21
atvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic person
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanBudgies View Post
I hope an expert will come along and explain yellow face genetics to you. Since in my case the cock bird was df YF1, it was easy for me to get all YF1 chicks.
lol I have all 3 (of course not on the same bird ) but I have a few of each

and I try to always just have 1 yellow face parent but sometimes it doesn't work out like that when I want certain mutations lol
  #8  
Old 11-22-2011, 11:54 AM
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
State:
 
Profile:atvchick95 is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 40+
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 16,073
Gallery: 5
Karma:
Points: 1447
Rep Power: 21
atvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic person
Default

I think i got if figured out

I ran across this on Wiki
and it says
Blue 1 = Blue Series - Allele Symbol is b1
Blue 2 = Blue Series -Allele Symbol is b2
Blue 1-2 = Yellow Face type 1 - Allele Symbol b1 / b2
Yellow Face = Yellow Face type 2 - Allele Symbol byf

It's part way down the page and it lists Pretty much all the mutations including ones that the U.S. Has never seen nor never will see(or at least I don't think they've ever been here)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budgerigar_colour_genetics


so with that If I'm understanding correctly when using the Genetic Calculator and you want to input a Yellow Face type 1 You would click the Blue II because they don't have an Icon like this b1 / b2 lol

for a yellow face type 2 you'd click the bl.yellowface Which is blyf

and well golden face was simple but Just for the record you'd click bl.goldenface which is blgf

if I finally understand this calculator I have been using it wrong all this time and its no wonder its always telling me 100% Bl. Yellow Face when I put just 1 parent as the yellow face and that one is only a type 1 LOL
Closed Thread



Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:51 PM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright © 2000- 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2006 - , 2403 Networks LLC. All rights reserved.