Useful mutation for breeding? - Talk Budgies Forums


User Menu
Forum Home
Budgie Gallery
Budgie FAQ
Site Guidelines
How-To-Guide
Members List
Today's Posts
Log In
Register now!
Search



Advanced Search
Popular Forums
Announcements

Budgie Articles

Budgie Talk

Budgie Pictures

Budgie Videos

Budgie Behavior

Determining Gender

Your Budgie's Health

Taming and Bonding

Budgie Breeding

In Memory

Other Birds

Contests

Chit Chat

Site Information

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots
Sponsored Ads

Go Back   Talk Budgies Forums > Budgie Talk > Budgie Breeding > Mutations and Genetics


Mutations and Genetics Learn about budgie genetics and the wide variety of mutations.
Thread Description:...or just a genetic muddle?

Closed Thread
 
Short URL LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 10-24-2012, 09:21 PM
thepennywhistle's Avatar
Member of the Month
State:
 
Profile:thepennywhistle is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 14
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Owner
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Prescott, Arizona
Posts: 4,269
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 3928
Rep Power: 16
thepennywhistle has a reputation beyond reputethepennywhistle has a reputation beyond reputethepennywhistle has a reputation beyond reputethepennywhistle has a reputation beyond reputethepennywhistle has a reputation beyond reputethepennywhistle has a reputation beyond reputethepennywhistle has a reputation beyond reputethepennywhistle has a reputation beyond reputethepennywhistle has a reputation beyond reputethepennywhistle has a reputation beyond reputethepennywhistle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Useful mutation for breeding?

Hi all,

I saw a beautiful young English budgie yesterday who was, I was
told, a white DF spangle YFII. It was a beautiful white bird with
a golden face, and a pale gold wash over much of the wings and
body. I love looking at this bird, but my question would be would
this be a useful bird to breed? If so to what? The YFII would be
there, and the spangle, of course, but what would you breed this
with? Or are there just too many elements in there to fuss with?

My thanks to anyone who would be kind enough to take the time
to educate me a bit further and express their opinion

Gee, but that was a pretty bird....

__________________
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. And never regret anything that made you smile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 10-25-2012, 12:58 PM
DonnaLee's Avatar
DonnaLee (Donna-lee)
Baby Budgie
State:
 
Profile:DonnaLee is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 10
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Lover
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Llanelli, Wales, Uk
Posts: 409
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 111
Rep Power: 8
DonnaLee will become famous soon enoughDonnaLee will become famous soon enough
Default

Very interesting question! I guess it depends on what kind of birds you want to breed, but I'd take it.
__________________
My flock - Benny, Walt, Pig, Angus, Malcolm, Stevie, Nigella, Suzie and Karl. x Rest in peace, Sheldon and Hank.
  #3  
Old 10-25-2012, 02:04 PM
fergus's Avatar
fergus (Fergus)
Birdman of Alcatraz
State:
 
Profile:fergus is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 4
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Lover
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 288
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 61
Rep Power: 8
fergus will become famous soon enough
Default

I believe it generally depends on the varieties of the progeny that you intend to get out of the breeding. It is a matter of mix and match of the dominant, recessive genes. Or you can create splits from the pair and do line breeding to find a progeny that express the genes for the variety that you are keen to have. Everyone has different likes, for example some likes the wild type green budgie or some likes the blue color mutation budgie. Just try working out the punnet squares to guess the variety and percentage chance of the progeny. If you like what you will get, than by all means, purchase that budgie. Believe the undermentioned post on punnet squares will be very useful to you.

https://www.talkbudgies.com/showthread.php?t=60390

I find budgies genetics to be very fascinating. Been reading up quite a fair bit recently. To guess the percentage chances of the progeny's variety of my ideal breeding pair. Working it out on your own is tons more fun that relying on a program such as Budgen. Gives you a chance to learn more about what makes your budgie look like what he or she does.

Anyway, sounds like a really beautiful bird. Any photos?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 10-25-2012, 07:16 PM
thepennywhistle's Avatar
Member of the Month
State:
 
Profile:thepennywhistle is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 14
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Owner
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Prescott, Arizona
Posts: 4,269
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 3928
Rep Power: 16
thepennywhistle has a reputation beyond reputethepennywhistle has a reputation beyond reputethepennywhistle has a reputation beyond reputethepennywhistle has a reputation beyond reputethepennywhistle has a reputation beyond reputethepennywhistle has a reputation beyond reputethepennywhistle has a reputation beyond reputethepennywhistle has a reputation beyond reputethepennywhistle has a reputation beyond reputethepennywhistle has a reputation beyond reputethepennywhistle has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergus View Post
I believe it generally depends on the varieties of the progeny that you intend to get out of the breeding. It is a matter of mix and match of the dominant, recessive genes. Or you can create splits from the pair and do line breeding to find a progeny that express the genes for the variety that you are keen to have. Everyone has different likes, for example some likes the wild type green budgie or some likes the blue color mutation budgie. Just try working out the punnet squares to guess the variety and percentage chance of the progeny. If you like what you will get, than by all means, purchase that budgie. Believe the undermentioned post on punnet squares will be very useful to you.

https://www.talkbudgies.com/showthread.php?t=60390

I find budgies genetics to be very fascinating. Been reading up quite a fair bit recently. To guess the percentage chances of the progeny's variety of my ideal breeding pair. Working it out on your own is tons more fun that relying on a program such as Budgen. Gives you a chance to learn more about what makes your budgie look like what he or she does.

Anyway, sounds like a really beautiful bird. Any photos?
Thanks very much for all the advice. I am having a wonderful time delving into
this new area, studying budgie genetics. No, no pictures, but I've only just
decided that I have to have that bird, so hopefully there will be some in the
future. I find that when the bird in your mind names itself, you are in big,
big trouble, and he's done just that.
__________________
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. And never regret anything that made you smile.
  #5  
Old 10-25-2012, 07:19 PM
SusanBudgies's Avatar
Member of the Month April 2011
State:
 
Profile:SusanBudgies is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 9
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Owner
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,435
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 1739
Rep Power: 16
SusanBudgies has a brilliant futureSusanBudgies has a brilliant futureSusanBudgies has a brilliant futureSusanBudgies has a brilliant futureSusanBudgies has a brilliant futureSusanBudgies has a brilliant futureSusanBudgies has a brilliant futureSusanBudgies has a brilliant futureSusanBudgies has a brilliant futureSusanBudgies has a brilliant futureSusanBudgies has a brilliant future
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepennywhistle View Post
Hi all,

I saw a beautiful young English budgie yesterday who was, I was
told, a white DF spangle YFII. It was a beautiful white bird with
a golden face, and a pale gold wash over much of the wings and
body. I love looking at this bird, but my question would be would
this be a useful bird to breed? If so to what? The YFII would be
there, and the spangle, of course, but what would you breed this
with? Or are there just too many elements in there to fuss with?

My thanks to anyone who would be kind enough to take the time
to educate me a bit further and express their opinion

Gee, but that was a pretty bird....
Since the bird is DF spangle (no color, no markings), you don't know what mutations he's masking. All you know about him -- other than DF spangle -- is he's a blue series yellow face 2. Consequently, we can make two predictions:

1. If paired with a green series bird who's not split to blue, all chicks will be green series.

2. All chicks will be spangle.

Do the breeding experts have any other comments?
  #6  
Old 10-25-2012, 07:26 PM
thepennywhistle's Avatar
Member of the Month
State:
 
Profile:thepennywhistle is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 14
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Owner
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Prescott, Arizona
Posts: 4,269
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 3928
Rep Power: 16
thepennywhistle has a reputation beyond reputethepennywhistle has a reputation beyond reputethepennywhistle has a reputation beyond reputethepennywhistle has a reputation beyond reputethepennywhistle has a reputation beyond reputethepennywhistle has a reputation beyond reputethepennywhistle has a reputation beyond reputethepennywhistle has a reputation beyond reputethepennywhistle has a reputation beyond reputethepennywhistle has a reputation beyond reputethepennywhistle has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanBudgies View Post
Since the bird is DF spangle (no color, no markings), you don't know what mutations he's masking. All you know about him -- other than DF spangle -- is he's a blue series yellow face 2. Consequently, we can make two predictions:

1. If paired with a green series bird who's not split to blue, all chicks will be green series.

2. All chicks will be spangle.

Do the breeding experts have any other comments?
Okay, all that is new to me and very useful to note. Thank you
so much!
__________________
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. And never regret anything that made you smile.
  #7  
Old 10-27-2012, 06:44 PM
theasset's Avatar
theasset (Erin)
Member of the Month
State:
 
Profile:theasset is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 7
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,184
Gallery: 6
Karma:
Points: 1108
Rep Power: 13
theasset has much to be proud oftheasset has much to be proud oftheasset has much to be proud oftheasset has much to be proud oftheasset has much to be proud oftheasset has much to be proud oftheasset has much to be proud oftheasset has much to be proud oftheasset has much to be proud of
Default

I'd pair it to a normal green or a green split to blue. All babies will be spangle and if you get any blues, half will have YF.

I happen to love opaline spangles. If said bird was female and you put her with a normal opaline male, you could get some opaline spangle hens.
  #8  
Old 10-27-2012, 07:23 PM
CuteLittleBirdies's Avatar
CuteLittleBirdies (Lindsey)
Member of the Month March 2011
State:
 
Profile:CuteLittleBirdies is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 500+
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ohio. U.S
Posts: 19,551
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 11092
Rep Power: 39
CuteLittleBirdies has a reputation beyond reputeCuteLittleBirdies has a reputation beyond reputeCuteLittleBirdies has a reputation beyond reputeCuteLittleBirdies has a reputation beyond reputeCuteLittleBirdies has a reputation beyond reputeCuteLittleBirdies has a reputation beyond reputeCuteLittleBirdies has a reputation beyond reputeCuteLittleBirdies has a reputation beyond reputeCuteLittleBirdies has a reputation beyond reputeCuteLittleBirdies has a reputation beyond reputeCuteLittleBirdies has a reputation beyond repute
Default

"Useful" is really dependent on what you are looking to have in the chicks mutations

With dominant mutations like spangle and yellowface it is important to actually want those mutations in the chicks, because you will have plenty of them very quickly

I love yellowface violet spangles myself If you have a violet to pair him with you would have some gorgeous chicks on your hands... especially if he is masking or split for opaline ... although you will have them regardless really with a yellowface df spangle in the mix
  #9  
Old 10-28-2012, 04:03 PM
thepennywhistle's Avatar
Member of the Month
State:
 
Profile:thepennywhistle is offline
Gender:
Number of Budgies: 14
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Owner
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Prescott, Arizona
Posts: 4,269
Gallery: 0
Karma:
Points: 3928
Rep Power: 16
thepennywhistle has a reputation beyond reputethepennywhistle has a reputation beyond reputethepennywhistle has a reputation beyond reputethepennywhistle has a reputation beyond reputethepennywhistle has a reputation beyond reputethepennywhistle has a reputation beyond reputethepennywhistle has a reputation beyond reputethepennywhistle has a reputation beyond reputethepennywhistle has a reputation beyond reputethepennywhistle has a reputation beyond reputethepennywhistle has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutelilbirdies View Post
"Useful" is really dependent on what you are looking to have in the chicks mutations

With dominant mutations like spangle and yellowface it is important to actually want those mutations in the chicks, because you will have plenty of them very quickly

I love yellowface violet spangles myself If you have a violet to pair him with you would have some gorgeous chicks on your hands... especially if he is masking or split for opaline ... although you will have them regardless really with a yellowface df spangle in the mix
Thank you for sharing this info, Lindsey

The more I learn about this little guy's possibilities, the more
interested I am in him. There is a possibility he is split for violet.
The breeder was surprised the their last clutch of his parents
with a yellowface violet and is very delighted with this discovery
(which of course she has no intention of letting go), so maybe he's
hiding something really neat.

I think I may bring him home, though the only hen I have available
is the blue opaline lady. We'll have to wait on the violet hen as the
search has not been at all productive for a violet anything thus far.
We'll keep looking, though. We've time -- this character is only
about 5 months old right now.

Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge!
__________________
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. And never regret anything that made you smile.
Closed Thread



Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:19 PM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright © 2000- 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2006 - , 2403 Networks LLC. All rights reserved.