Another recipe from my country, this time featuring fish. The much acclaimed and popular "bacalhau" or cod. This is my favourite dish called "bacalhau com natas", which means salted cod with cream.
1/2 pounds of Salted Cod, cut in 4 pieces
2 onions, peeled and sliced thin
1 3/4 cups milk
4 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 pound of potatoes, peeled and sliced
3 tablespoons of regular flour
1/4 cups of water
3 tablespoons of unsalted butter
1/2 tablespoon of pepper
1/2 cup of heavy cream
1) Begin by soaking the cod in the refrigerator. After 24-48 hours in cold water or milk, drain the cod, rinse, and drain again.
2) Remove bones and skin and pull the cod into small shreds, set aside.
3) In a heavy skillet over low heat, saute the onion in olive oil until soft and golden.
4) Stir-fry the potatoes in the oil in a second heavy skillet over low heat about 3 minutes, add the water, turn the heat to its lowest, cover, and cook for about 15 minutes.
5) When the onions are softly golden, mix in the cod and 1/2 cup milk, cover and cook over lowest heat, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes.
6) While the cod cooks, prepare a white sauce. Melt the butter in a saucepan over moderate heat and blend in the flour, add the remaining milk and heat , stirring constantly , until thickened. Blend in the pepper and reserve.
7) When the cod has only 10 minutes more to cook, preheat the oven to 450. When the cod is done, mix in the potatoes, white sauce, and cream.
8) Transfer to a baking casserole dish. Bake uncovered for 15 min. Then lower to 350 degrees and bake uncovered for 25 minutes.
A couple of pics. Believe me it's really tasty. If you ever travel here, you must try it out.
A closer look