Avgolemono (egg lemon chicken soup)
Hi guys, so I wanted to share the recipe of this delicious soup that my mum makes (I'm half Greek, her side :)). Since moving out I had to get the recipe off of her so I can indulge in it. :P
It's winter now here in Aus so I just made a big pot of this for myself and my partner for tonight's dinner, and since it's a big pot i'll probably be having it for lunch tomorrow too.
1. At least 450g-700g chicken (doesn't matter what part, on of off the bone. I used chicken breast)
2. 1/2 - 1 cup of white jasmine rice depending on how soupy or thick you want it (next time I will try it with 3/4 cup rice)
3. 3 lemons
4. 3 eggs
5. Large pot 3/4 filled with warm water
6. Salt & Pepper to taste
1. Add warm water to pot and let simmer
2. Add chicken and let boil to cook (about 20min)
3. Squeeze out juices of lemons into cup or bowl
4. Add rice into pot then take out chicken to shred chicken with tongs/fork or hands
5. Add salt, pepper
6. Separate egg whites in another cup/bowl and beat till fluffy
7. Add yolks to egg whites and beat further
8. Very slowly add lemon juice to beaten eggs whilst beating
9. When rice is just about cooked, slowly add spoons of hot water from pot to egg & lemon mixture, one spoon at a time, mixing it and repeating very slowly to heat mixture up without curdling eggs
10. Once egg & lemon mixture has heated up add egg & lemon mixture to soup all at once and mix
11. Turn off the stove and add more salt & pepper and enjoy!
As the soup sits it will become thicker/creamier. Next time if you make it again if you would prefer it less thick, add less rice.
Hope you like, and also I'd be very interested if you have the same but slightly different recipe (thinking of Despoina as I write this because she's Greek, too).
There's another version of this soup that my mum makes where minced beef is rolled into small meatballs with the rice instead of chicken, but I prefer this more. I hope you like it and if you do tell me about it :)
The recipe sounds very good, Bee!
I just copied it and sent it to my husband as he likes to cook. I'm sure he'll try it when our weather gets cool again in the Fall.
We are going into summer and it's about 86 degrees Fahrenheit (30 C) right now! :)
Bee, Thank you for posting this! I'm going to make some authentic homemade Avgolemono :D.
I've enjoyed it from restaurants, and even tried some in an American canned soup brand (yuck). So I'm anxious to try the "real" thing :thumbsup:. We have a prolific lemon bush in the backyard. My bf will love it too.
Even though it's heading into hot weather, I'll still make some. We're still enjoying the last days of Spring here before it gets really hot. Maybe this week, I'll let you know how it goes! :)
Looking forward to using this recipe, too...I love soup any time of the year...thanks for sharing. :)
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:20 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright © 2000- 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2006 - , 2403 Networks LLC. All rights reserved.