Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hallo all out there,

TAKE A GUESS WHO'S THE REAL DAD?
I know it's not the way to breed properly, but with my open flight / colony breeding arrangement (as not having much other option ito space), I do wish to put out this challenge for forum members in correctly identifying the dad of these chicks...hope it's not too difficult?!

Crazy, but these 2 Dads feeds one another before either of them feeds the hen...?

First the 2 chicks:
Budgy03-11_0015e1.jpg
Budgy03-11_0016e1.jpg

........then the 1st DAD ("King George"-Double factor Blue, Mauve; Spangle and split Opaline),
Budgy2010_0075e11.jpg

....then the 2nd DAD ("Deep Green" - don't know history, but I guess "normal" single factor Dark Green)....
Budgy02-2011_0014e1.jpg

...then the Mom, real tiny I thought but what a good mom (called "Cloudy" - Yellow-faced, Dilute / Suffused Light-Green, greywing)..
July-2010_0085e1.jpg

So go-on give it a go...I've got my own ideas, but will share photos of past-chicks by the same dads/mom later on in thread!

Enjoy,

JacodK

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe I got the Hen's "base / main colour" wrong....

....rather diluted sky-blue, than light-green...but the shine on the feather almost gives her a "light-green" shade?!

She's a real "ugly duckling turned out princess", with her "mud-brown" colour as a baby!

Here's when she was but a few weeks old!

JacodK

Attachments

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Not sure if the first chick is T2 yellow face greywing or a green series greywing. In either case the father is probably the green **** because the hen is T1 yellow face and if the chick is green series one parent would have to be green and the hen is blue. Also the green could be carrying the T2 yellow face but the blue spangle could not. The second chick is a yellow face blue dilute so the dad could be either **** bird if the yellow face is type 1.

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
The birds can't be split to Spangle Its dominant either they're spangle or they're not So if mom isn't then your 2 dad options isn't correct either

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yip agreed Atv,

My slip-of-the-finger again...cut & pasted this from another message & forgot to fix the dominant spangle part....did so probably as U was typing your reply..!

What do you think about the 1st chick...the area below the cheek patches is brighter yellow than rest of body colour, or is it just getting late for my eyes?

Stay well,
Jacodk

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
1st baby looks like a full body grey wing - but i'm not 100% sure as the only one I've ever had was already 6 months old or so when I got her so not sure excatly what they look like as babies

the 2nd one also looks grey wing I can't tell the body color though

and they both do look like they're spangle

Also King George looks like he is Opaline and not split to it But that could just be the Angle of the picture but his bars going down the back of his head look a lot like Opaline baring to me.

the mom also Looks like she's a Spangle too

·
3,676 Posts
Just to get the mutations right

The first chick is a greywing & the second chick is a dilute - neither are spangle

The first **** is a spangle. He is not opaline but his wings do show some opalescence

The second **** is a normal light green

The hen is a yellow face greywing sky blue. She is not spangle

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
well, I'm far from expert. but to me it makes saence that dad 1 is the father of those chicks. as looking at their feathers they have opline or cinnomon or one of those mutations on their wings...... and only one of your dads had that. also the chicks are light green. like mom. so light/ warm blue + light green= a lighter green.DAD1 is my answer. :D

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi All,

As promised here are the pictures of 3 chicks from the previous hatch from the same 2 Dad + 1 Mom combination.....I'm certain that this earlier round Dad 1 (Spangle DF Blue ****) was the correct dad, whilst as explained by Atv & Nev the answer to the original "2 Chick, Dad question" is Dad 2 (Light Green ****).

Enjoy ur eve,

JacodK

Attachments

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just to get the mutations right

The first chick is a greywing & the second chick is a dilute - neither are spangle

The first **** is a spangle. He is not opaline but his wings do show some opalescence

The second **** is a normal light green

The hen is a yellow face greywing sky blue. She is not spangle
Hi Nev,

Just updated photos of these greywing chicks....

..however is the 1st (called "Shiny") definitely a Green series Greywing / blue?....
Budgy04-11_0062e1.jpg
Budgy04-11_0019e1s.jpg
..the 2nd (called "Dilute One") probably is still a Dilute Sky-Blue Greywing...BUT how do U tell whether it is a SF or DF Blue series dilute?
Budgy04-11_0074e1s.jpg
Budgy04-11_0242e1.jpg

# What will the % outcome be if I mix them (when adult) with chicks from a YF Greywing (****) x YF Dilute Greywing (hen) pairing?...as I wish to get "Clearwing" (as 2nd generation) chicks from either of the above-noted GreyWing babies when paired with other Greywing / Dilute birds from my flock...(I'll post another set of pic's of such GW/ Dilute candidates)

Which way (bird pairing) will be best to get Clearwings?

Thanks a lot...(if these aren't suitable, maybe U have examples to indicate how to get to Clearwing?)
JdK

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Nev,

Here are pictures of the "GW/ Dilute" candidates from whose chicks I "plan" to pair up with the above GW chicks (if sexes of young works out of course)...

Here is "Mr D" (****):
Budgy02-2011_0007e1.jpg

& here is the hen "Misty":
Budgy02-2011_0040ee1s.jpg

Thanks for the help!
JacodK

·
3,676 Posts
The chances of producing the chicks that you plan in a colony breeding situation is similar to your changes of winning the lottery

You can't get clearwings by breeding grewings & dilutes because clearwing is a separate mutation. To breed a clearwing you must have a bird that has a clearwing gene.

Mr D looks like he could be a full body greywing but as there is so much variation in greywings he may not be. If he is an FBG it would mean that he is a combination of greywing & clearwing so if he was mated to a dilute a clearwing chick would be possible

Misty is a cinnamon spangle. Neither of these mutations are desirable in a clearwing

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Nev / Atv,
Yes agree on the "lottery"…that's why I don't play such things …too small chance of any success….but-...

Just to clarify...albeit that I'm colony breeding in the open flight....any selection bird pairings I post here on TB will be "lined up / planned" for setup in 1 of the 4 dedicated breeding cages that is ****ed to inside of this open-flight...in case U missed my earlier post on my "flight layout" here it is:
http://www.talkbudgies.com/showthread.php?t=69972&page=2

(do note - "other young birds" to past pairings were "colony-bred"...this pair & others are the start of "new things" - I'll always clarify which of the 2 breeding apply though)

So the young from such pairings will be "all known" and "well- /improved defined" birds...so I can't get it possibly wrong as in the open flight (where the other pet-type birds breed)...

Given your response on Misty...(her father is Spangle...not sure where the Cinnamon comes from?)…I'll then rather use her mother "Cloudy"…that is visually "Dilute"….

Now for producing actual babies…just waiting for "Cloudy" to finish rearing her present clutch….then a few weeks break for her….then into the cage they go!
Thx again..

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Thanks Nev / Atv,
Given your response on Misty...(her father is Spangle...not sure where the Cinnamon comes from?)…I'll then rather use her mother "Cloudy"…that is visually "Dilute"….
Considering this "not knowing where the 'Cinnamon gene' came from" ... I just realised that Nev is correct again....1 of the babies (from King George x Cloudy - parents of "Misty" - see Violet Cinnamon baby earlier in this thread)...thus Misty's half-sister, called "Violet delight" was cinnamon...and she turned out to be ...well female!

Ah, so I can only guess that tells me her father (King George) must be split for Cinnamon...as it's not visual...

thought it's worth the mention..

----------------------
PS - REFER THE NEXT RELATED THREAD I'LL POST ...RE "RAINBOW BUDGY PRODUCING PAIRINGS"

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.