Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. How do you breed out Spangle from a Spangle Clearwing?

(I got a (Single Factor) Violet (Single Factor) Spangle Clearwing **** and would like to get some Rainbows out of him potentially if I can.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2. What do you classify a Rainbow budgie with an additional visual mutation?

Like the "True Rainbow" is Blue Series + Yellowface + Opaline + Clearwing, and an "Imitation Rainbow" is Blue Series + Yellowface + Opaline + (Single Factor) Spangle.

What happens when you get a Budgie with Blue Series + Yellowface + Opaline + Clearwing + (Any visual mutation like Spangle; Cinnamon, Dom. Pied, Rec. Pied, yadda yadda yadda.)

Do you classify them as Half-True's? Or do the additional mutations void the True Rainbow mutation(s)? (Which I think is stupid if that's how it works.)

·
Super Moderator
19,682 Posts
Because the rainbow mutation is a combination of various mutations, there’s really no such thing as a “half rainbow” or “partial rainbow”. The bird is either rainbow or it isn’t, though budgies which have some or all of the necessary mutation “requirements” in addition to other mutations all turn out gorgeous anyways.

Spangle is dominant but breeding a single factor spangle with a normal or opaline bird can lead to both spangle and normal or opaline chicks.

If you are trying to get rainbows, I’d suggest breeding him with an opaline clear wing or FBG hen if you have one. Assuming your male isn’t split opaline, in this case all the males will be normal or spangle, split opaline and the females will all be normal or spangle. From there you may be able to get some rainbows by breeding a male that ends up clearwing split opaline to a different opaline clear wing or FBG blue series female with the possibility of having 50% resultant opaline chicks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Because the rainbow mutation is a combination of various mutations, there’s really no such thing as a “half rainbow” or “partial rainbow”. The bird is either rainbow or it isn’t, though budgies which have some or all of the necessary mutation “requirements” in addition to other mutations all turn out gorgeous anyways.

• My question is, can additional visualized mutations void or render the definition of a "True Rainbow"

Like if you have a True Rainbow (The visualed clearwing major one, to say) and for whatever reason it comes out looking like a True Rainbow (Single Factor) Dom. Pied CinnamonWing. Would the Dom. Pied and Cinnamon Void or render the True Rainbow because they're additional and not required?

Spangle is dominant but breeding a single factor spangle with a normal or opaline bird can lead to both spangle and normal or opaline chicks.

• I have so many opaline spangle in my flock it's not even funny. I'm starting to not appreciate the combination mutation as it just muddies a lot of potential rare future mutations.

If you are trying to get rainbows, I’d suggest breeding him with an opaline clear wing or FBG hen if you have one. Assuming your male isn’t split opaline, in this case all the males will be normal or spangle, split opaline and the females will all be normal or spangle. From there you may be able to get some rainbows by breeding a male that ends up clearwing split opaline to a different opaline clear wing or FBG blue series female with the possibility of having 50% resultant opaline chicks.
• I may have to post ads around asking for some. I could breed for Split FBG as I have a Greywing male not related to him. The problem then is selecting particular hens to breed with them each. Probably would choose Yellowface'd hens but I mean. It's just unnecessary breeding to an extent. I'll look around but I'd probably be searching for months.

·
Super Moderator
19,682 Posts
To answer your questions:

Yes, as I said earlier, ANY mutation in addition to the rainbow "requirements" makes it "not a rainbow" by definition since it is a combination mutation.

It is really hard to keep dominant mutations like spangle from taking over.

The hard part about it is that opaline is a sex-linked gene, so you won't get rainbows on the first try even though you breed him with an opaline hen. It may be better to breed a Clearwing or FBG spangle opaline male w a yellowface opaline hen since at least then you'd get some true rainbows even if some weren't (due to presence of spangle). But I'm assuming that's not possible since I think this guy is your first clearwing, right? Clearwing is recessive to dominate and codominant with greywing so getting that by breeding is also a bit challenging. I would really try to get an opaline FBG or clearwing hen if possible, doesn't even have to be yellowface at first since YF is dominant and in the second generation can be added in fairly easily (i.e visual opaline, clearwing blue male x yellowface female = 50% yellowface). Since you don't have any pairs right now that could give rainbows on the first go, I'd start with sorting the clearwing and opaline genetics and then maybe adding in yellowface later.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.