Talk Budgies Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Have two male budgies - Peaches, less than 2 years old and Sunny, less than 1 year old. I thought they were getting along OK. But actually Sunny is "aggressive" toward Peaches. By aggressive I mean, if Peaches goes to the feed bowl, Sunny chases him away. There are 2 feed bowls and 2 water bowls. If Peaches wants to play with a toy, - even though I have duplicate toys, Sunny chases him away. Poor Peaches can't seem to do anything on his own - Sunny seems to be a bully. He doesn't physically attack Peaches, however - at least not yet. I'm getting very worried about this behavior because Peaches is getting skinny, while Sunny looks like a little "pig". I've tried to close the cage for a few minutes each day with Peaches inside and Sunny outside, so Peaches can eat in peace. However, Sunny flies over to the cage, and still manages to keep Peaches from eating. This morning I put Sunny in a small cage in another room with the door closed, so Peaches can eat. Peaches actually seems to miss Sunny and now still isn't eating. And Sunny, in the other room, is sitting and sulking. Do you have any solutions for this problem. I'm really worried because Peaches is getting way to skinny. Thanks.

·
Administrator
55,347 Posts
The budgies need to be separated into individual cages if Sunny is continually bullying Peaches.
Constant bullying is very bad for Peaches' physical and mental well-being.
It is going to take more than a few hours for the two budgies to get used to being separated.
You need to have cages that are adequate sizes for each bird. I would recommend you have a minimum size of 30" long by 18" wide by 18" high for each budgie.
Another option is to purchase a double wide flight cage with a divider.
The one in this link is a good choice:
A&E Double Flight Cage

Have you weighed the two budgies?
Please post pictures of them and the cages they are in currently.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts