Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK my male Violet opaline and my female Albino have a clutch three have hatched so far..2 Friday night/sat morn and one Sunday morning...mom and chicks seem to be doing good...any way what colors can I expect? dont know anything about their parents...but i believe Opaline and, violet and albino are recessive so they probably dont have much else in them...am I correct in assuming this?

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
All the female chicks will be opaline.
The male chicks will be split for opaline & ino
About half the chicks will inherit violet but you may only be able to see it on the cobalts

You will only get albino chicks if your male is split for ino
You will only get opaline male chicks if your albino hen is masking opaline

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thankyou for the information...to make sure i am understanding right...if a chick is not opaline he will be a he...more then likely if a chick is opoaline it'll be a she?...I believe one of the chicks is albino...the first and third have big dark circles wher the eyes are/will be...but the second one doesn't appear to have eyes so im assuming their red...but i haven't gotten a real good look at his face, but from the angles i have seen him i believe i should have seen the dark eye circles...would eyes that will be red show in a few day old chick? I dont want to handle or disrupt them so i only take quick peeks twice a day

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
You will know if you have an Albino from day 1
it would look like this

also i'm assuming they're pet shop birds- your albino can be hiding a whole lot of stuff
Mine is She's hiding Opaline, Dominant Pied, and is either hiding recessive pied or Split to it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thankyou for the information...to make sure i am understanding right...if a chick is not opaline he will be a he...more then likely if a chick is opoaline it'll be a she?

This is not conclusive. You don't know if the albino hen is opaline or not. If she is NOT opaline, only girl chicks will be opaline, the boys will be /opaline. If she IS opaline, then every single chick will be opaline.

...I believe one of the chicks is albino...the first and third have big dark circles wher the eyes are/will be...but the second one doesn't appear to have eyes so im assuming their red...but i haven't gotten a real good look at his face, but from the angles i have seen him i believe i should have seen the dark eye circles...would eyes that will be red show in a few day old chick? I dont want to handle or disrupt them so i only take quick peeks twice a day

You should be picking the chicks up every day to check to make sure they don't have poop stuck to their vents, or food stuck in their beaks. Poop stuck on vents can be deadly, and food stuck in beaks can cause deformed beaks and possibly starvation. Budgies are resiliant, handling them will not harm them or disrupt the parents, and handling chicks form birth helps them to get accustomed to people and to being handled.

Your description sounds like red eyes, so the father must be split to ino. :)
You might get some surprises, because being an albino masks all of the mothers genes, such as dark factors, violet, any pieds, etc... But of course, you would need a non-red-eyed chick to be able to see it. ;)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, thank you for the information..I thought most of what i read said dont hadle them until their 10 days old. Is that incorrect? Eggs #1,#2 hatched 2/25, #3 2/27 and #4 this morning 3/1 are they ok to hadle?
If it appears poop is stuck on their vent...how do i clean it..is OK to get them wet? I did not intend on having babies, and do not know what to do...so any advice is helpful and appreciated...

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Ok, thank you for the information..I thought most of what i read said dont hadle them until their 10 days old. Is that incorrect? Eggs #1,#2 hatched 2/25, #3 2/27 and #4 this morning 3/1 are they ok to hadle?
If it appears poop is stuck on their vent...how do i clean it..is OK to get them wet? I did not intend on having babies, and do not know what to do...so any advice is helpful and appreciated...
you can handle them just in very quick spurts and not many times a day while they're still tiny and bald as they grow and get more feathers you can handle them more

I check mine 2 times a day from birth to 3 weeks old when I pull them to hand feed them

you shouldn't need anything but your finger nail if they have poop stuck to them if by chance it doesn't just pop off a Damp q-tip to help is okay just use a soft towel or paper towel after to make sure they're dry

and if their is food stuck to their beaks i just gently pull it off with my nail, i've never had to use anything to help it usually all just comes off in one clump

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
If you have an albino chick it means that your male is split for ino. The chick could be either sex

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you can handle them just in very quick spurts and not many times a day while they're still tiny and bald as they grow and get more feathers you can handle them more

I check mine 2 times a day from birth to 3 weeks old when I pull them to hand feed them

you shouldn't need anything but your finger nail if they have poop stuck to them if by chance it doesn't just pop off a Damp q-tip to help is okay just use a soft towel or paper towel after to make sure they're dry

and if their is food stuck to their beaks i just gently pull it off with my nail, i've never had to use anything to help it usually all just comes off in one clump
Okay I tried to take a chick out tonight and Mom when nuts...screamed her head off as my hand approched..kind of cocked her head with her mouth open like a snake reacy to attack...so i backed off...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got a good look at one of the chicks last night that definitely must have red eyes....so im assuming she/he is an albino. Again mom is albino, Dad is an Opaline Violet...i guess he must be split for albino...or what could they both be split for that would produce a red eyed chick?
Not related to the red eyes but any chance they could each be carrying a Yellow Face gene? Could i get a YF1 or YF2 from two parents that do not show any Yellow Face at all? Any advice would be great..I have 5 chicks so far, 2 eggs left with one probably going to hatch tommorow...in a first time clutch how often do all eggs hatch? is it a reasonable assumption they will? Based on the dates of lay and hatching i believe the five have are the first five and hatched in order so i am 5 for 5 so far...

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Got a good look at one of the chicks last night that definitely must have red eyes....so im assuming she/he is an albino. Again mom is albino, Dad is an Opaline Violet...i guess he must be split for albino...or what could they both be split for that would produce a red eyed chick?
Not related to the red eyes but any chance they could each be carrying a Yellow Face gene? Could i get a YF1 or YF2 from two parents that do not show any Yellow Face at all? Any advice would be great..I have 5 chicks so far, 2 eggs left with one probably going to hatch tommorow...in a first time clutch how often do all eggs hatch? is it a reasonable assumption they will? Based on the dates of lay and hatching i believe the five have are the first five and hatched in order so i am 5 for 5 so far...
The only way you'd have a yellow face adult and not know it is if its a Double factor Yellow face they actually look Normal but give yellow face babies That's how i found out one of mine were the Mom was not yellow face and had been bred to several other males and never got a yellow face, Put her with my "normal" Sky blue and got yellow face babies and you'd know if the babies were yellow face when they start getting pin feathers in they'd be yellow - assuming both parents are Blue series that is.

Budgies can not be split to yellow face so either they are yellow face or they're not But with the double factor yellow face You wouldn't know unless you got babies that had yellow faces :)

as for the red eyes, its most likely Albino and yes dad is split so the baby can be male or female

Cinnamon's are born with Plum eyes but darken by 2 days old and they don't stand out as well as the inos I've yet to notice at birth which baby is a cinnamon they eyes don't look any different to me But i'm sure i'll eventually notice it :D the cinnamon baby eyes are not as "see through" (may not be the right term) as a Ino an Ino almost looks like it has no eyes all you see is pink skin/eye lid and the ball of the eye is pink so it almost looks like there is nothing there, Where a cinnamon baby eyes would be darker but not as dark as a normal (normal has black eyes ) but like i said it is very hard to notice specially since by day 2 You can't tell it was ever plum to start with.

·
Long Term Active Member Award April 2015
4,532 Posts
Here is a good pic of a red eyed chick at a few hours old and then same chick at 20 days old... She is 21 days old today. She is Lutino... bred from a slate opaline male and a green and yellow dom pied hen. Her name is Cricket!

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Here is a good pic of a red eyed chick at a few hours old and then same chick at 20 days old... She is 21 days old today.She is Lutino... bred from a slate opaline male and a green and yellow dom pied hen.
gorgeous!

I searched and searched for a good eye pic of mine but I'm good at interrupting feed time so i always end up with them facing down lol

but your 1st pics shows very well how i was explaining it almost looks like they have no eyes at all :D

·
Long Term Active Member Award April 2015
4,532 Posts
I know... this is my 1st time breeding... and I had no idea till the second one was hatched and we compared eyes .. we were sooo worried the little chick had been born with no eye... but then learned about inos looking like they had no eye and relaxed...lol If you look close you can see her egg tooth!

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
I know... this is my 1st time breeding... and I had no idea till the second one was hatched and we compared eyes .. we were sooo worried the little chick had been born with no eye... but then learned about inos looking like they had no eye and relaxed...lol If you look close you can see her egg tooth!
oooh you can I didn't notice that at first

I pulled out a just hatched baby a few weeks ago while my son was in taking care of his doves and he looked over and said "mommy whats wrong with the babies beak?" - they've never really seen them that close up on just hatching usually its just from the nest box and can't really tell much there

i said nothing that's how it is supposed to be and explained to him how they use it to get out of the egg. needless to say I totally fascinated a 10 yr old boy I thought we went over that part already and they knew everything there was but I guess i forgot that part lol

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
beautiful chick...yes that is what mine looks like...think it was Egg #2..looks like #5 has red eyes two...Thabks both of you for all the info....any guess on if all 7 will hatch? #6 is scheduled to hatch tommorow.#7 would be monday...so far mom and the 5 babies are doing great...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
no havnt candled any of them, didn't want to disturb or stress mom...still haven't hadled any of the chicks neither, she screams her head off if i reach in...have to eventually i know...but trying to disturb as little as possible.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.