Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know not budgie related but thought maybe someone also has canaries and can help. A neighbour decided to release his canaries this morning and ****** off on Holiday. I have manage to rescue 4 of them flying around the parking lot.

Anyone offer guidance on feeding young chicks as there is apparently a nest on the patio of the flat and will try to get them safe also. Not sure which is the mum but think she is walkabout still? :eek:

·
Registered
540 Posts
OMG, that's deplorable...Thank Goodness you could rescue them - poor bubs...Bless you

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The concierge in our flat will be having a word, but already left the country. He had asked him if he could mind them for a month, apparently didnt find someone !! I mean worst case a vet or pet shop can ofter offer room and board for a fee!

Woke up this morning to them on the patio chopping on some of my budgies left over millet. Luckily I have some canary seed that i mix with the budgie mix, not sure if budgie food ok for them ?

·
Exceptional Service Award Recipient
21,823 Posts
Oh no, what an incredibly awful thing to do... I'm glad you managed to rescue those little canaries. Budgie food is okay to give to the canaries until you get a good canary seed mix. Even finch food will be okay of you have some.
As to the canary chicks, can you post photo so I can see how old they are?
Depending on their age, you may need to get formula and hand feed them via syringe. If they are already fully feathered and close to weaning age, then offering them easy to crack seeds like Niger seed and spray millet, soft veggies and mashed up fruit will be a good start, so will be giving them egg food which you can get readily made on any specialized pet store or you can make your own, there are recipes for egg food at the Diet and Nutrition section of Talk Budgies.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I can't get over, he would just abandon a nest of bubs like that...I've not had chicks before only adult canaries...hope they survive and as Niamh mentioned - he should be reported!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Still sorting getting a ladder to get on there patio so no pics of the chicks yet, these are the 4 I have caught outside, beautiful little guys ! They were very confused but settling now, only have wee cage for them so far but better than Mr Magpie eyeing out lunch!

Attachments

·
Registered
540 Posts
They are very beautiful...very fortunate little canaries, that you have rescued...wouldn't have lasted very long, I suppose...do you know how many he had at all ?

·
Registered
12,566 Posts
You could always ring your local animal rescue ,get them to do the climbing , please take care and stay safe. I am dismayed at the disgusting behaviour some people can happily display and show no regard for the welfare of a living animal.:eek:

·
Super Moderator
20,168 Posts
Oh goodness, what a horrible thing to do!! :eek: Those poor little bubs, i can't believe someone would do that. I hope everyone survives and I'm glad you got 4 at least, hopefully the other ones get into somewhere safe. They're gorgeous though! Please keep us posted, hope the babies pull through!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh no, what an incredibly awful thing to do... I'm glad you managed to rescue those little canaries. Budgie food is okay to give to the canaries until you get a good canary seed mix. Even finch food will be okay of you have some.
As to the canary chicks, can you post photo so I can see how old they are?
Depending on their age, you may need to get formula and hand feed them via syringe. If they are already fully feathered and close to weaning age, then offering them easy to crack seeds like Niger seed and spray millet, soft veggies and mashed up fruit will be a good start, so will be giving them egg food which you can get readily made on any specialized pet store or you can make your own, there are recipes for egg food at the Diet and Nutrition section of Talk Budgies.
2 babies. one can fly a little, not sure can eat seeds... the little one is not well, very small, trying to warm it up in a towel. There is still one free. have syringed baby rice with boiled water for both...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.