Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone:)
My baby blue budgies are starting to really grow up! They are coming up on there 3 month out of the nest box date, and they are all very cute and in excellentt heath.
But please let me know about the genetics, I tried to figure it out but then a Normal Blue hatched out and I have no idea how to figure that in.

Dad Bubbles on the Left and mom Whoopsie on the Right

Daddy Bubbles shows Pied with no belly bar and has Clear flight wings. Mommy Whoopsie shows RPied. (Mommy Whoopsie is now prohibited from raising chicks, since she is a chick feather plucker.)

So here are the 5 chicks out of 7 eggs!
PLEASE TAKE A GUESS AT THE GENDER MOSTLY BUT GENETICS WOULD BE AWESOME TOO:)

Baby Blue 1

Baby Blue 1, diffrent pose

Single baby blue 2.

Single baby blue 3. The normal blue boy!

Baby Blues 4 in the back and 5 up front

Baby Blue 5 again.

Thank you for reading:) :budge:

PS: all babies have belly bars and head patches except the normal blue:)

·
Registered
694 Posts
I would guess gender-wise that baby blue 1 is female, 2 is female, 3 is male, 4 is female. I'm not exactly good at sexing when they're young.

3 looks to be a greywing to me, rather than a normal. I'm shocking with pieds, so I'll stay away from the rest of them.

·
MOTM March 2012
5,292 Posts
The normal blue one looks to be male and the other 3 look to be female.

However can you take pictures of each bird in natural light with no flash, pictures from the front on so we can see the cere clearly, then a side shot, back shot and front on so we can see all sides of them to tell you the mutation.

If you can also get some more pictures of the parents front side and back shots it would help.

Then if you could upload them in groups, so all of budgie 1 in one group, then all of budgie 2 etc as it is a bit confusing for me with groups shots then some extra shots (I have had a long day and have a huge headache lol).

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I agree baby 1 & 2 look like females and baby 3 looks like a male. As far as mutations baby 1 & 2 look like skyblue clearwings possibly opaline but I am awful with mutations so not completely sure. They are all very beautiful though :D

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
The dad is a greywing dominant pied (He must be split for opaline)
The Mom is a recessive pied

CHICKS
1/ Opaline dominant pied female
2/ Opaline dominant pied female
3/ Normal sky blue male
4/ Dominant pied female
5/ Greywing dominant pied female

Although the Dad has no belly bar he must be dominant pied not clearflight pied because some of the chicks have a belly bar.

The expected outcome from a dominant pied split for opaline mated to a recessive pied would be:
25% dominant pied male
25% normal male
12.5% dominant pied female
12.5% opaline dominant pied female
12.5% normal female
12.5% opaline female

The fact that one of the chicks is greywing shows that the hen is split for greywing.
All the chicks will be split for recessive pied & the non-greywing chicks will be split for greywing

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.