Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I'm sorry if I've posted on the wrong forum, I've just joined and couldn't seem to find where to post.
I'm sorry this is long!

I have a beautiful male budgie called DaCota (I thought she was a girl when I first got her haha), Ive had him since he was 5 weeks old and hand fed him. Long story short I've had him for nearly 6 years now and he's my best friend, but the last couple of weeks I noticed a small change in him, he started to squeak a little whilst breathing, especially at night. I understood it to be a respiratory condition after many searches on google. Sigh. Getting him to an aviery vet went against my gut feeling, the stress of getting him there and then being man handled by someone he didn't trust would for sure kill him or give him major stress.It was a huge nope.
So I nurtured him, brought his food and water to him, managed to get him to eat some watermelon and spinach and he has fully perked up, he flew around, came out for his millet and insisted on being with me at all times.

But of course he is still very sick hence posting here, he is holding his beak high and his crop looks very full, almost like it could burst, he has been eating ALOT today, non stop.

how can i help him?!

·
Administrator
55,535 Posts
You need to get your budgie to an Avian Vet as soon as possible for a proper diagnosis and treatment plan.

Avian Vets have special training to determine the cause of symptoms resulting from illness or trauma.
This is important as "regular" vets will often overlook symptoms that are quickly obvious to an Avian Vet.
When you rely on anyone who has not had training in Avian diagnosis and care, you may be delaying effective treatment.

This can prolong suffering that may be avoidable.
The bird will often require a more intense, prolonged treatment with a poorer chance of full recovery than it would have if you seek prompt professional diagnosis and treatment at the first sign of illness.
If there are no Avian Vets near you, please find an Exotic Pet Veterinarian with experience in dealing with small birds.

In the meantime, make sure he is warm enough and to help with respiratory issues, you can put your budgie’s cage in the bathroom when you run hot water through the shower so the cage is in the hot steamy air -- that will help open the airways.

Another option is to tent the cage with a sheet and place a pot or kettle of boiling water under the sheet where your budgie is unable to touch it and allow the steam to accumulate that way. If you have pure eucalyptus oil, you can put one tiny drop into the water, as that will also help to clear the airways so the budgie is better able to breathe.

Using a warm mist humidifier in the room with your budgies is a great way to help ease breathing problems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply FaeryBee! I can't even even explain how much it means to me that you replied with all that information!! I feel taking him to a vet would further stress him out, he is super calm with me but if other people are around he gets uneasy.
I have actually been keeping him very warm with a heater. And after hand feeding him he became very active again flying around, chirping loudly, he is a very vocal active budgie. But his crop seems very full, and he has eaten so much today, his appetite is almost x3

·
Super Moderator
3,344 Posts
Thank you for your reply FaeryBee! I can't even even explain how much it means to me that you replied with all that information!! I feel taking him to a vet would further stress him out, he is super calm with me but if other people are around he gets uneasy.
I have actually been keeping him very warm with a heater. And after hand feeding him he became very active again flying around, chirping loudly, he is a very vocal active budgie. But his crop seems very full, and he has eaten so much today, his appetite is almost x3
I understand how you feel about the stress of taking him to a vet but if there is in infection or obstruction in the crop it needs medical attention and just keeping him warm will not resolve the condition. Please at the very least call the vet and ask for advise.

·
Administrator
55,535 Posts
It is critical you contact the vet as soon as possible if you want your budgie to survive. Please do this for him.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.