Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone I am hoping that you guys can enlighten me.

I have had my budgie for around a week and a half and am currently finger training him he will get on my finger inside and outside his cage although not for long periods of time but recently inside his cage when I put my hand near it holding millet he starts squawking at me what can I do to continue training him?

Also when he is outside his cage it takes around 30 minutes to get him back inside as he just perches on the bookshelf and won't go anywhere.

Thanking you all in advance.

·
Administrator
55,116 Posts
His cage is his "Safe" place.
Him squawking at you when you put your hand in his cage is him letting you know he doesn't want to be bothered. This is a normal behavior and you should respect his boundaries.

Taming and Bonding is all about helping your budgie learn to trust you and it takes a great deal of time and patience on your part.
You should never grab your budgie or force him to be touched.
To bond with your budgie, you need to build his trust in you.
He will have to learn over time that you will not hurt him, grab him and try to force him to allow you to hold him.

He's going up onto the bookshelf because it is high and makes him feel safe and secure.
Budgies are not like dogs and cats and they don't always want to interact with humans for long periods of time. Your budgie is still very young and you haven't had it long.
In actuality, a budgie should not be released from the breeder until it is a minimum of 8 weeks old.
You are going to need to be very patient with him and work at his pace.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.