Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
The Kangaroo Whisperer
3,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really confused
Apollo and Candy are both spangles. The have 5 chicks. The oldest is starting to get dark balckish brown markings. How can that be when both of the parents don't have and dark markings??!!
Here is Apollo:

Any candy:

Lol u get a good veiw of her butt
Photo of Chick:
(yoU cant see that clearly but it is getting markings on it back like stripes

It is the second to the top.(the biggest)
Apollo is a yf2 seafoam green spangle. Not sure what Candy is.

·
Registered
7 Posts
one of them probably has part genes of another mutation which gives the baby that colour markings

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Candy looks like a violet spangle

I know when my spangles were born I didn't think i was going to have any spangles until they were feathered out then I saw they were spangles

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
When 2 spangles are paired together you would expect to get 50% spangles, 25% normals (with dark markings) and 25% double factor spangles (which are pure white or yellow)

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Nev is right as usual. Shame he beat me to the post :p

Phenotypical spangles have only one spangle gene (lets call it S) which is semi-dominant to the one normal gene they posess (lets call it x).

So both your parent budgies are single factor spangles: Sx and Sx

Pairing these two together you could expect to get exactly what nev said:
25% - xx (normal wing markings)
50 % - Sx (spangle like the parents)
25% - SS (double factor spangle - which are clear coloured birds like ino's except they have dark eyes not red)

I hope you get at least one double factor! That would be awesome!

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
P.S Candy looks like a spangle opaline. Normal feathering is black with white tips (on a white based bird). A single spangle gene reverses that so it is white feathers with black tips.

Spangle opalines have white feathers tipped with the body colour running through (white feather with blue tips in candy's case). I have a bird just like that, so the chances are you could expect 50% of your male chicks to be split for opaline (meaning they carry the gene from their mother, but males need one opaline gene from the mother and one from the father to be opaline, whereas females just need one from the father and i dont know if your male bird is split for opaline)

Hope that all makes sense lol.

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
I love the first picture!

:D:D:D:Dthe first picture is to die for, oh my dream budgie! oh how I wish that i could find one just like that beautiful perfect one. Sorry just went temperarlly insane ove the first picture!:D

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Guthwulf is right about Candy. She is an opaline spangle violet. Hope that you are lucky enough to find that Apollo is split for opaline so that you get some chicks like her

·
The Kangaroo Whisperer
3,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yellow face blue?? Ok I am getting really confused now lol.
Ok so I wont get any the colour of Apollo??
And I know White is Ressecive so I wont get any WF right??
What about any Violots?

·
The Kangaroo Whisperer
3,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A slightly better but still bad pict:

You cant see the black that well. Will take one soon without flsh in a couple of days

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Ok lets try to simplify lol.

Squeak_crumble:

Apollo is a yf2 seafoam green spangle
Technically you are incorrect. Apollo is a YF2 Sky blue spangle. He would be a BLUE budgie if he was not YF2. YF2 is similar to yellow-face type 1, EXCEPT that the colour is not isolated to the face - it runs through the body and the wings. In the body, the yellow colouring in the mask (head) runs down and it mixes with the sky blue to appear as a sea foam green - but he is still a blue budgie genetically speaking. without going into percentages, your chicks will be any combination of the following:

All your babies will be blues.
Some will be YF2 (or seafoam green as you say)
Some will get violet colouring from their mother (they will look a more vibrant shade of blue or seafoam green for that matter)
Some of your males will have a single opaline gene from their mother, or if the father is already split for opaline, you may get some opaline chicks like the mother.

Also will I get and albinos or lutinos??
Or will they just be white or yellow??
Here is where the spangle factor comes in. Some of your chicks (you've noted one already) will have normal wing markings. You will find that most are spangle like their parents. IF however, you get some double factor spangles, then they will (for the most part) appear to be albinos (all white bird) with normal dark eyes.

Double factor spangle blue (white):
http://www.***************/v_dfspangle3.jpg

Add to that fact that you COULD get an albino YF2, you may just end up with a creamy yellow mixing with the white colour :) (although technically you have no albino's, just double factor spangles).

Hope that clears it up. Easiest way to think about it is this: ALL YOUR CHICKS WILL INHERIT THE GORGEOUS GENE - BE HAPPY :)

·
Registered
560 Posts
Ok, so I don't know much about bird genetics... but I do know abit about genetics in general. Basically, every gene is either dominant or recessive, and depending on the genotype of the parent, the children can all look different.

So for example. A mother has brown hair (dominant - B) and a father has blonde hair (recessive - b). The mothers genotype could be BB or Bb (she MUST have 1 dominant gene) whereas the fathers would be bb (if he has Bb, then his hair would be brown)

Therefore, the say the mothers genotype is Bb, then 50% woud have brown hair, and 50% would have blonde hair, for this reason: (see attachment)

Font Rectangle Circle Number Parallel

The same would be for your budgies. Just because the parents don't show a certain mutation, or 'allele', that doesn't mean the genes aren't hiding in there ready to be shown in their children :) Afterall, the 'mother' had the gene for blonde hair, it was just masked by the dominant gene.

***I know my little story isn't relevant, but it's easier to understand. Hope it helps***

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Also will I get and albinos or lutinos??
Or will they just be white or yellow??
neither of your birds are Lutino or Albino

So no you wouldn't get any Unless perhaps your male is split, But i am pretty sure if he was in order to get a lutino or albino the female would have to be either or (if your male is split to lutino then your female would have to be lutino, same with albino) and since both Lutino and Albino are sexed linked genes a female can not be split to Lutino nor albino it would have to be a visual Lutino or albino Which Candy is not

but both are absoutly beautiful so you know you'll get stunning babies no matter what the mutations are :D

·
The Kangaroo Whisperer
3,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok this helps
I think I will just wait and see hoping for a some Double factors.
No other ones i can see have dark markings

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Moniter the health of the parents, if they seem to be doing fine, let them go for a second round. That will increase your chances of getting a double factor spangle if you really want one and have room for the additional chicks.

Just be sure you have healthy parents and room for babies first!!

·
The Kangaroo Whisperer
3,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow thanks guys!!
as far as i can see only the oldest has black markings. Already thought of the perfect name if i Get a double factor blue spangle....Ghost. They were bron around Halloween

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.